Jim Norman Update - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2023, 07:24 PM   #1

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Jim Norman Update

Jim is in hospice care. He is winding down life as we know it. What follows below is an email from Noelia, his wife which she has granted me permission to share with this community.

We can use all the prayers out there...he is stable, but down to 104 lbs and weak (can no longer get out of bed). With the exception of the past few days, we still have coffee and breakfast together every morning and watch/discuss the news. He eats in bed now, so we just sit and talk about all our great adventures. We also have a regular routine, which includes a few naps throughout the day (Jim, not me LOL) in between nursing visits. He was waking me up the night before last every 15 minutes or so because he wasn't feeling well. He told me his stomach hurt and that this was it, he was dying. So I went to the kitchen and got some ginger ale and had him take a few sips until he burped. "You're not dying Jim, you're just having a gas attack!" Don't worry about dying, I'll let you know when you are dying. The next morning we had a good laugh over the gas attack. It was the first time I had heard him laugh or seen him smile in a long time. He still doesn't have any pain (unusual for pancreatic cancer patients) and no metz to the brain. We have a running joke with the nurses when they ask if he has pain, he points to me. I'm a bit of a task master when it comes to medication, following instructions, etc. I have to drain the pleurx catheter in his lung 3x a week. Other than that it's just a daily living routine sprinkled with some NOEL attics to help relieve the boredom.

A while back I bought him a gate with the design of a black lab and geese flying over head. The fence company used a 5' fence with the 3' gate (silly looking). I got in touch with the maker of the gate and asked him to design a sign for me that could fit on top of the gate (to even out the gap). The sign will read, "meet me at the rainbow bridge." Link to Poem

I often remind Jim about the rainbow bridge and it brings him much comfort.

Noelia Cantu Norman
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 07:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks for the update. To be glad of one thing, I'm glad he's not in pain. Peace to Jim and Noelia.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 10:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
This was hard to read, but I’m glad you shared. I will pray for Jim and Noella.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Thanks for the update. Yes, it was hard to read.

He's been a mainstay of our forum for a long time. I'll remember him each time I refill my propane tanks or see a comment about scrapple.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 11:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Sorry to hear this, Jim’s forum presence was always enlightening and I gained knowledge from his detailed posts. He clearly is a generous and kind man.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 04:12 AM   #6

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Thank you Noelia for sharing this with us.

Nancy and I will will pray for you and JIm.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 04:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
It definitely was hard to read. The many times I interacted with Jim, both in person or by keyboard, he was always pleasant. While I sometimes questioned his “What I had for breakfast” posts as they were not related to fiberglass trailers, Jim was always interesting and helpful, and definitely an extrovert. I could almost always look at the title of a new post and know before opening it that it would be Jim’s. The first time I met him and Noelia was at the Dairy Queen in Osoyoos the opening night of the 2015 Escape Rally, when they ran out of food and there was nothing left for those of us who were called last. Reace and Tammy had ordered less food in 2015, apparently because there were a huge amount of leftovers the previous year! As Donna stated, I am grateful he is not in pain.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I will remember many things about Jim, but what I will remember most is how he reached out to me early last year when I was also diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He showed me the ropes, helped me understand what I would be going through, and gave me a lot of comfort to help me on the road ahead.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Never met Jim except on the forum, but he was active, and one of the many who had great insight into things Escape. Jim was one of those before me who helped me sort out my plans. I felt like I knew him, even though I never met him. Thank you Jim.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:13 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Jim was a good guy who will be missed. I met him at a couple rallies. He always wanted to help folks out and enjoyed doing so. All my best goes out to him and Noelia at this time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 11:02 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Jim was a good guy who will be missed. I met him at a couple rallies. He always wanted to help folks out and enjoyed doing so. All my best goes out to him and Noelia at this time.
"Was"? Don't know Jim except for a few forum posts, but just remember, he is still alive, and still is a good guy. Keep hope (and Jim) alive!
Old 12-27-2023, 12:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
For he is a jolly good fellow, which nobody can deny!
Old 12-27-2023, 01:23 PM   #13

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
"Was"? Don't know Jim except for a few forum posts, but just remember, he is still alive, and still is a good guy. Keep hope (and Jim) alive!
I've had similar thoughts in the past. Language; "was", "is" become fluid in moments like this. Jim didn't mean anything in particular by this. He's sad. I'm sad. Anyone who got to know Jim are sad.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:15 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
I've had similar thoughts in the past. Language; "was", "is" become fluid in moments like this. Jim didn't mean anything in particular by this. He's sad. I'm sad. Anyone who got to know Jim are sad.
Well said. I didn't mean to impute anything; just wanted to make sure no one got the wrong impression.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Very hard post to read. Hoping for peace for all of the family.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:15 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
Very hard post to read. Hoping for peace for all of the family.
Indeed. But wonderful he is in no pain (I lost a good friend to pancreatic cancer a few years ago, and he suffered greatly from the pain). Thanks to Noelia for the 'Rainbow Bridge' poem. I understand what a comfort it must be.

PS About a year ago, Jim started a great thread for us railfans,

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ers-24037.html

linking a tourist RR near him. I hoped to visit it and maybe see him, too, but—well, who knows?
Old 12-28-2023, 07:15 AM   #17

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Thank you for the update on Jim. Prayers and blessings to him and Noelia. We are the fortunate owners of one of Jim's earlier trailers - a 2016 19. Still has most of Jim's mods, but we definitely have changed out the propane tanks a few times! Great memories of our time with Jim and Noelia. Peace.
Marti and John
jpwalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C -- 2018 GMC Canyon
Thank you for sharing Richard.

We also have one of Jim's Escapes, 2018 21C. We were fortunate enough to meet Jim a few times during the purchase transaction and I can attest to his humor and sharp wit.

Prayers to Jim & Noelia during this difficult time. Godspeed Jim.

-- Darrell & Angela
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 12:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
In 2014 we were in Florida in a too tight Casita. We contacted Jim after getting his information from Escape. We made a special detour on the way back from Florida to meet Jim and see his 21'. The area around Jim's house is a bit tight so he had us stop at a local mall. Jim drove over and picked us up and brought us over to look at his few month old 21'. (Who does that?)
He answered all our questions and within about 10 minutes I knew that a 21' was in our future.

The next week I contacted Escape and put down our deposit. I told Escape, we want it just like Jim Norman's. In September we drove to Chilliwack and picked up our 21'. We have probably logged 50,000 miles and our 21' will be headed to Pensacola for 2 weeks in March.

Jim was always patient and answered many questions over the years. His best mod that I copied was mounting a 700 watt electric heater in the corner of the bed for chilly nights.

They don't come any better. May God bless.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 10:39 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
In 2014 we were in Florida in a too tight Casita. We contacted Jim after getting his information from Escape. We made a special detour on the way back from Florida to meet Jim and see his 21'. The area around Jim's house is a bit tight so he had us stop at a local mall. Jim drove over and picked us up and brought us over to look at his few month old 21'. (Who does that?)
He answered all our questions and within about 10 minutes I knew that a 21' was in our future.

The next week I contacted Escape and put down our deposit. I told Escape, we want it just like Jim Norman's. In September we drove to Chilliwack and picked up our 21'. We have probably logged 50,000 miles and our 21' will be headed to Pensacola for 2 weeks in March.

Jim was always patient and answered many questions over the years. His best mod that I copied was mounting a 700 watt electric heater in the corner of the bed for chilly nights.

They don't come any better. May God bless.
Well you paid that kindness ahead when you showed your camper to us and started our Fiberglas journey. We ordered ours right after touring yours.
This forum is full of wonderful helpful people. Though I no longer own an Escape I still observe this is a fine forum. I hope Jim’s journey is peaceful
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote