No orientation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2021, 11:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21 NE
No orientation

I was excited to see our email this week confirming our April 18, 2022 pickup date

I noticed a line that says ‘ due to the Covid pandemic they can’t do an in person orientation and we are invited to watch an online video’…

So we can eat dinner indoors in BC but we can’t get an in person orientation to our new trailer?

We are double vaxed and masked but we can watch a video to figure out our new systems

Not impressed
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
This was decided a while ago. The orientations were paused when COVID first hit. The video substitute(s) were put together to fill the gap. Escape management then decided to apply their resources to ramping up production and announced there would be no further in-person orientations.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:09 AM   #3

Interesting that they have their ambassador program and don’t mind the ambassadors taking the risk of COVID exposures

If they want to ramp up production so be it, but don’t claim COVID risk as an excuse to reduce services to their clients…
Old 09-25-2021, 12:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
In person orientation isn't all that valuable. In the excitement, you'll forget half anyway, especially if you try to shoot video or take photos. The ETI videos can be paused and reviewed as often as necessary.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
Interesting that they have their ambassador program and don’t mind the ambassadors taking the risk of COVID exposures
The ambassador program is purely voluntary.

It seems that side effects of COVID are complaints, whining and arguments.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I did enjoy the orientation in 2017 more for meeting the people behind the scenes than the orientation. That said the videos are more valuable as ongoing resources. I will say this however, Covid has been used as as an excuse for lots of service diminishment in many industries to save money. We live in interesting times
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:34 AM   #7

I'm just saying that COVID has caused frustration that is expressed through social media, like this forum.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I didn't get a orientation when I picked up my new truck, buy said the manual was in the glove box when I asked about the stereo.

There is lots of content on YouTube to fill in the gap. Do I agree, no, Covid is going to go on forever sooooo
Old 09-25-2021, 05:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I pretty much skipped orientation on both my Escapes. A couple quick questions, then on my way. In 2009 I did help Reace and an employee finish it and blasted off to a rally. In 2017 I wanted to get going on the 10 hour drive plus drive time in January back to Calgary.

But hey, wanting to learn what I need on things in my own is fine by me. I am a bit weird.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:32 AM   #10

Old wave yup, calling it out for how I see it. BC has implemented vaccine passports so that life can return to some semblance of normal. I would have appreciated the orientation, my husband I’m sure doesn’t care and will get what he needs from the videos

Whining? No. Objecting to diminished service from an outfit that seems to have built their reputation on just that
Old 09-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Old wave yup, calling it out for how I see it. BC has implemented vaccine passports so that life can return to some semblance of normal. I would have appreciated the orientation, my husband I’m sure doesn’t care and will get what he needs from the videos

Whining? No. Objecting to diminished service from an outfit that seems to have built their reputation on just that
I came thru Whitehorse from Fairbanks in 1959 on the way to Skagway on the narrow gauge railway. I was really disappointed when I didn't get to see any Mounties in their splendid red uniforms. I didn't know it wasn't their daily uniform.

Another disappointment was when I learned the Girls and Guys were separated in the hotel bar. I think I remember that correctly. Separate entrances if I recall.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I pretty much skipped orientation on both my Escapes. A couple quick questions, then on my way. In 2009 I did help Reace and an employee finish it and blasted off to a rally. In 2017 I wanted to get going on the 10 hour drive plus drive time in January back to Calgary.

But hey, wanting to learn what I need on things in my own is fine by me. I am a bit weird.
Same here. I've always been a 'book' learner. I have also been called weird. I ain't offended by that.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #13

Rangerman lol!

Nice cliches
Old 09-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

If they want to ramp up production so be it, but don’t claim COVID risk as an excuse to reduce services to their clients…
Not the same situation at all. An orientation involves both parties being in close proximity inside the the trailer. We've been ambassadors during Covid. Open trailer door, have a look guys, we'll answer questions from outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I pretty much skipped orientation on both my Escapes.

I am a bit weird.
I found the 19 one a bit tedious, I'd used similar stuff before. For the 21 I specifically said no orientation wanted. Everything you could possibly want to know is available online and if a person was picking up and had some questions I'm really sure they'd get answered.

"bit"

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
For us, the orientation was not for learning about the trailer but a chance to do an inspection / acceptance test of the trailer. We found a few things that needed fixing before we left for Sumas and missed some things due to the rushed attitude of the guy giving the "orientation" that I had to fix myself after I came home.

With the delivery of a trailer now at Sumas without any inspection (orientation) or later service at Chilliwack, how are build defects being handled?
Old 09-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Not the same situation at all. An orientation involves both parties being in close proximity inside the the trailer. We've been ambassadors during Covid. Open trailer door, have a look guys, we'll answer questions from outside.
This was not our experience at all last summer. Bryan, the wonderful Ambassador we met was beyond helpful, showing us his set up and systems, both inside and out, all 3 of 3 in close proximity. Granted some Ambassadors are probably more helpful than others but this was our experience. We went the Ambassador route to choose our model because it was next to impossible to deal with the Escape people
Old 09-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #17

tdf-Texas

Exactly

Quality control isn't what it used to be for so many purchases these days. We've bought many things that had to be returned and fixed. We also live far away like you do, and I would hate to have to return after the fact with an issue that needs addressing that could have been caught during the 'orientation'
Old 09-25-2021, 04:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
As someone who got the orientation though the videos (aside from reading this forum) earlier this year, there are pluses and minuses. The good news with videos is that you can watch them as many time as you like and have them with you when you are camping. Generally speaking, the videos are well made, particularly if Reace is the instructor. That said, the videos are from the previous era. There are very few new/additional videos created under the new management. The new options (See Level II, lithium batteries, etc.) do not have any videos on them. That’s a gap, though a modest one. They could do some annual and preventative maintenance videos, particularly as they are not spending time on orientations.

That said, if it were not for this forum and its very helpful contributors - we’d not be in a good place, despite having watched all the videos.

PS: The starting position matters. If you have had a camper before and/or are handy with mechanical, electrical tasks, it likely not a big issue either way. We were (and still are) novices with little experience of any relevance. It’s been and remains a steep learning curve. But, members here have been very generous in guiding us as we learn.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I can see how the in person orientation would be helpful. Personally, I would be so excited, and not retain anything they say.lol.... ADD here. I'm glad they have the videos and the printed manual. I would be just trying to leave Chilliwac with my new trailer.. Not saying its right or wrong... I'm just like a big kid on Christmas morn...
Old 09-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #20

I shot and edited the first orientation video with Tammy. It took a day to shoot, a couple to edit, another to reshoot parts ( after Reace reviewed the content ).

I can assure you, you will remember little from your in-person orientation.