Portland OR safe? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Portland OR safe?

We are a small group of old soldiers who meet every year to tell lies and this year the Northwest is up. All of us have small trailers so we use campgrounds.

Portland is my favorite place there but lately all you hear is clashes between opposing groups. I know 'news' usually makes things appear worse and more widespread than they are but we're a bit concerned. I want to visit the downtown area. I was there 2 yrs ago and the place was as nice as always.

Anybody from that area who can comment about conditions now?

Pendleton and Bend are possibilities also.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
It has been a long time since I lived in Portland, but I am thinking that this sort of conflict has an otherwise unanticipated, but positive attribute associated with them in that they are scheduled for both location and time.

My experience back when I lived there and supported by numerous trips back is that Portland is as safe as it has been for folks who check in with news and know to avoid visiting locations that are scheduled for demonstrations. That the same can be said for most US metropolitan cities is a current unfortunate reality.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've lived in Portland for 53 years. We're doing just fine. Yes, there are pockets of problems and often happen at night or weekends. Those pockets are pretty much a couple of blocks here and there or a large parking lot (like this last weekend). I'd feel comfortable telling people it's okay to come to Portland, but like any large city, you may want to restrict your walking-around-time to daylight hours if you're not real familiar with the city.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've lived in Portland for 53 years. We're doing just fine. Yes, there are pockets of problems and often happen at night or weekends. Those pockets are pretty much a couple of blocks here and there or a large parking lot (like this last weekend). I'd feel comfortable telling people it's okay to come to Portland, but like any large city, you may want to restrict your walking-around-time to daylight hours if you're not real familiar with the city.
Thanks Donna, Never noticed you were from that area. I suspected as much on it being kinda local in nature and not all over. Too bad about the day/nite thing ,but it's the same all over would be my guess. I enjoy walking about at nite but my fighting days are waaaaay back there.

That Ranger " We own the nite" BS just don't apply anymore.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
We are a small group of old soldiers who meet every year to tell lies and this year the Northwest is up. All of us have small trailers so we use campgrounds.

Portland is my favorite place there but lately all you hear is clashes between opposing groups. I know 'news' usually makes things appear worse and more widespread than they are but we're a bit concerned. I want to visit the downtown area. I was there 2 yrs ago and the place was as nice as always.

Anybody from that area who can comment about conditions now?

Pendleton and Bend are possibilities also.

My son just returned from a trip to that area, he said the surrounding areas are fine but to stay away from the city.

It seems people there have accepted what’s going there as the new normal…

To put this in perspective my son and myself live two miles from Ferguson so we know chaos when we see it.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
My son just returned from a trip to that area, he said the surrounding areas are fine but to stay away from the city.

It seems people there have accepted what’s going there as the new normal…

To put this in perspective my son and myself live two miles from Ferguson so we know chaos when we see it.
Thanks, I think we will probably go to Pendleton.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
My wife, all 4'11" of her, just returned from a bike ride downtown with her 60+ year old friend and had no comments or concerns (we live in Beaverton). We haven't been downtown much since covid but my observation is that it is certainly not back to "normal" from pre-covid in terms of stores that are boarded up and more than the normal homeless population, but as far as safety I don't see any reason for concern as long as you practice the same common sense you would apply anywhere. The "clashes" are infrequent, highly publicized events between primarily people who don't live in Portland but would be happy to see it burn. You would have to go looking for such a conflict in order to run into one.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Stay away from downtown, especially at night and you'll be fine.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #9

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBred View Post
Stay away from downtown, especially at night and you'll be fine.
Sounds like every city in America.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Sounds like every city in America.
Well, that's certainly not true. Our downtown is quite safe, and there are far more folks downtown at night than during the day.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 E19
I hear Pendleton is pretty nice.

What's the deal with the big cities, though? If I were organizing a campout I'd be shooting for someplace more scenic. Wallowa State Park, maybe.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I hear Pendleton is pretty nice.

What's the deal with the big cities, though? If I were organizing a campout I'd be shooting for someplace more scenic. Wallowa State Park, maybe.
When we first started meeting we would go to Army posts campgrounds. Trouble with that was an Army post is full of young soldiers who know old soldier BS when they hear it. No fun bragging about our legendary exploits to them.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
Thanks, I think we will probably go to Pendleton.
Purely by chance we stopped in Pendleton about ten years ago and happened onto the parade that precedes the Pendleton Round Up (their annual rodeo). The parade (at that time anyway) featured a mounted cowboy band that included large base drums, tubas, and much more. Unique and great fun to see them try to control their mounts as they ride through town playing music. Also enjoyed the guided tours and history of the underground tunnels connecting downtown buildings. Not a lot shade available and the town fills up for rodeo that follows the parade. It looks like parade is September 11 this year, but not sure if the mounted cowboy band still exists. It looked hazardous.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
If you are considering Pendleton - avoid during the Roundup unless you have tickets and a parking space lined up already - it's VERY busy

The Roundup is 15 days long and the week in advance of the Roundup is also very busy. Camping sites will be scarce.

https://www.pendletonroundup.com/

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Sounds like you atta come north to the Skagit County WA and enjoy a little peace and quiet.

I wouldn't take anything as valuable as an Escape any where near Portland. Or Seattle.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:25 PM   #16
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
We have been to downtown Portland quite a bit over the past few months and never had a problem day or night. If you WANT to go find a protest, then you probably can, but I've never had a problem downtown. I spent 30 years in the Pentagon, and developed a good sense for situational awareness (along with my active service time), and I don't have to be any more aware in Portland than in Seattle, LA, NY, or DC (which we still frequent at times). Good luck.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Three votes for the Wallawas! They are stunningly beautiful and pop up out of the high desert. The river is lovely and the campsites are shady. Old Chief Joseph is buried very near overlooking the water. The moraine along the lake is a perfect example of what a glacier can do.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
Sounds like you atta come north to the Skagit County WA and enjoy a little peace and quiet.

I wouldn't take anything as valuable as an Escape any where near Portland. Or Seattle.

I have ringside seats to this type of situation and it never ceases to amaze me the shock when the (it’s ok to go into dangerous cities) peoples bubble is burst.

Even in a deadly city like STL, Detroit and many others there are those that think they are tougher than someone who has absolutely nothing to lose.

Realestate companies have crime statistics maps that can be very helpful with avoiding trouble.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

I'm 86. Not looking for peace and quiet! That'll come soon enough.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Peeler bars and cheap beer?

« Caframo | Awnings »