Towing 5.0 vs Trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2023, 10:10 AM   #21

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
There is a twist on any question posed regarding towing a bumper pull trailer vs. a 5th wheel of the size and nature of the ETI 5.0 and that is the characteristics of the tow vehicle pulling the bumper pull trailer.

The biggest variable we have experienced towing the 21C that we sold in anticipation of getting an E23 next month was the decision to switch from a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.6L V6 AWD to a 2022 RAM Laramie Sport, Crew Cab, 5.7L eTorque, 4X4, with a mid length bed.

The Jeep pulled an Airstream Basecamp for several years and the 21C for the trip up and back from northern California to Sumas to pick it up. Under all but extreme weather conditions, the Jeep handled tow duties admirably.

That 21C pick up was the year or the atmospheric rivers and floods of southern BC and northern Washington including Sumas. Without rehashing the days surrounded by flood waters and stranded at Bob’s Burger, ETI’s inability to leave the factory, our eventual detour through Montana and up to Alberta to wait out the floodwaters with Canadian friends, the call from Alicia saying that they thought they could get to Blaine WA on Thanksgiving Day to deliver the trailer during the continued downpours and Thanksgiving dinner of frozen TV type dinners at a rest stop, the point of all this was that the Jeep was adequate for the extreme conditions surrounding the task of getting the 21C home, but it offered little in comparison to the rock solid towing of a long wheelbase vehicle that easily exceeds the curb weight of the trailer it is being asked to tow.

We never considered the 5.0 as a workable solution to our camping needs. Didn’t like the steps up to the bed, felt that the floorplan aft of the steps was not open enough for our tastes and we carry folding kayaks and recumbent trikes in the truck bed with a stainless steel cap.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 10:25 AM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreQuestionsThanAnswers View Post
Thanks again Centex. I have a concern with a 19 or 21 in the wind, and being a little more comfortable towing is huge to me. I’ve never had a trailer or boat big enough to really be bothered by a side wind, but I’ve seen enough light weight trailers swaying that it’s a concern.
Just to be clear I would never suggest, didn't mean to imply, that an Escape 19 or 21 is "bothered" by wind, and certainly not that they are prone to the phenomenon known as 'sway' when properly loaded.

I agree with others who have stated that any of the Escape trailers will offer an excellent towing experience with a properly matched tug.
Old 12-16-2023, 12:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post

My F-150 + 5.0 will just fit into 2 spaces without hanging over. This has made some desired travel day stops possible.
E19 behind a F150, lot's of room for that situation.

E21 behind a F150, no problem, fits

E21 behind a F150, with a 2' rear box, effectively a 23, a little bit longer than the lines but I still park in those spots on occasion.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 01:06 PM   #24

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Thanks again Centex. I have a concern with a 19 or 21 in the wind, and being a little more comfortable towing is huge to me. I’ve never had a trailer or boat big enough to really be bothered by a side wind, but I’ve seen enough light weight trailers swaying that it’s a concern.
I've never pulled a 5th wheel but when I pulled our 21C back from Sumas with our F150 we ran into some pretty strong cross winds. These were probably in the range of 30-40 MPH with higher gusts. This was the first time I pulled a camper this big in quite a while.

It made me pay more attention and I would say the truck and camper moved as one solid unit. No wiggles or sway. I do have the E2 weight distribution hitch with unit sway.

I've driven my truck alone in those kinds of winds and I wouldn't say it felt any scarier with the camper attached.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 02:22 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
To set the record straight, even though I mentioned sway, primarily because I have seen a multitude of trailers dangerously swaying when I have been on interstate highways, I have NEVER heard any Escape bumper pull owner complain that they have experienced sway. I have, however, seen some set up with friction sway bars, whether needed or not. My choice of the 5.0TA was somewhat made based on the fact that at the time it was the only Escape with a queen sized bed that one person did not have to crawl over the other to get out of bed. Most people do spend 1/3 of every 24 hour period sleeping. It is more stable towing than any bumper pull trailer with which I have experience, and easier for me to hook up. But I will agree that it would be nice to have a capped/covered truck bed for transporting items. I have to use the F-150’s backseat for this purpose. I in no way was intending to be critical of bumper pull trailers, especially those manufactured by ETI. It’s all good!
Old 12-16-2023, 03:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have NEVER heard any Escape bumper pull owner complain that they have experienced sway.
Hi Carl.

Maybe you missed this. Hope you're both well.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...9-a-14937.html
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 07:32 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Our 5.0 ta tows great, my wife probably tows as much if not more than I do.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:33 PM   #28

Trailer: HiCamp Tear Drop
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hi Carl.

Wow, scary.
MoreQuestionsThanAnswers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 10:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
To set the record straight, even though I mentioned sway, primarily because I have seen a multitude of trailers dangerously swaying when I have been on interstate highways, I have NEVER heard any Escape bumper pull owner complain that they have experienced sway. I have, however, seen some set up with friction sway bars, whether needed or not. My choice of the 5.0TA was somewhat made based on the fact that at the time it was the only Escape with a queen sized bed that one person did not have to crawl over the other to get out of bed. Most people do spend 1/3 of every 24 hour period sleeping. It is more stable towing than any bumper pull trailer with which I have experience, and easier for me to hook up. But I will agree that it would be nice to have a capped/covered truck bed for transporting items. I have to use the F-150’s backseat for this purpose. I in no way was intending to be critical of bumper pull trailers, especially those manufactured by ETI. It’s all good!
No worries, I understood what you were getting at. I absolutely believe each of the trailers will tow fantasticly,,,,I just feel the 5.0 will be that little bit better. My life is so great I’m always looking for that extra little bit.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

E21 behind a F150, with a 2' rear box, effectively a 23, a little bit longer than the lines but I still park in those spots on occasion.

Ron
All good. I do think the 5.0 will negotiate the tight turn into our driveway a little better.
Old 12-17-2023, 05:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Hi Carl.

Adrian, did miss that. I was avoiding the forum for a period of time. It is my first encounter with a report of sway by any Escape owner. Not that it matters, but in my opinion, I repeat, in my opinion, nobody should be towing at 70 mph and especially on I-10, which is reputed to be the deadliest Interstate Highway in the U.S.
I once did a favor for a friend who had suffered a lower back spasm but needed to get his stickie trailer to the dealer for a long awaited service appointment. I went to his house and hitched it up (bumper pull). He told me ahead of time that it didn’t tow well. That was an understatement. The dealer was about 50 miles away and I got on the highway. At 50 miles per hour the trailer started to sway. I slowed down to 45, the minimum speed, put on the hazard flashers, and got off the highway at the next exit. After dropping off the trailer, I suggested he redistribute weight in the trailer and explore better hitches. Thankfully, he did.

Yes, we are doing well, and I hope you and Beth are also doing well. Are your daughter and SIL still in Georgia? I hope you get to see them at Christmas, but in any event, I wish you (and everyone else here) a most happy, healthy, and prosperous holiday season!
Old 12-17-2023, 11:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Quote:
All good. I do think the 5.0 will negotiate the tight turn into our driveway a little better.
Whatever works for you.

My comment was more aimed at newbies who might have been left thinking that's it's not possible to use two typical shopping mall slots end-to-end. Mind you, 4 are nicer.

Ron
Old 12-17-2023, 11:35 AM   #33

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
Quote:
Hi Carl.

No wdh , questionable tow vehicle to be using without any wdh . Also a response of a similar incident without wdh
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 11:49 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
No wdh , questionable tow vehicle to be using without any wdh . Also a response of a similar incident without wdh
Some unibody vehicles do not accept WD hitches. Important to check if you plan on towing a 'bumper-pull' trailer.
Old 12-17-2023, 03:49 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
This is a question for people with experience towing both trailers and the 5.0.

I’ve never towed a fifth wheel, but have towed lots of boats and small trailers.

I’m curious if you found the 5.0 to be significantly easier and more stable to tow.

If we go the 5.0 route we give up our truck shell, which, both my wife and I get great utility from. However, the benefits of towing, backing, connecting etc may make it worth it.
Having towed two bumper pulls, our last being an Rpod which we put over 50K miles on, and now towing a 5.0, I can honestly say I would never go back to a bumper pull (I would also never go back to a single axle. It is the smoothest towing camper of the three I have experience with. It is also the easiest to hitch and unhitch. I will say that it took me a bit to get used to backing up the 5.0, but now I can pretty much place where I want it with some consistency.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 05:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Having towed two bumper pulls, our last being an Rpod which we put over 50K miles on, and now towing a 5.0, I can honestly say I would never go back to a bumper pull (I would also never go back to a single axle. It is the smoothest towing camper of the three I have experience with. It is also the easiest to hitch and unhitch. I will say that it took me a bit to get used to backing up the 5.0, but now I can pretty much place where I want it with some consistency.
This is the answer I’ll share with my wife! I want the 5.0, she wants the 19, because we get to keep the truck shell. I’d love to keep the shell also, but I like everything about the 5.0 better.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:34 PM   #37

Quote:
This is the answer I’ll share with my wife! I want the 5.0, she wants the 19, because we get to keep the truck shell. I’d love to keep the shell also, but I like everything about the 5.0 better.
Well, as they say, you can prove anything with statistics. If that argument works on your wife, go for it.

However it doesn't seem to be apples and apples. The Rpod was likely a single axle trailer. I believe that a tandem axle trailer feels more stable. But don't tell your wife that.

Ron
Old 12-17-2023, 10:50 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
With the - Right hitch, and right tongue weight, all of the Escapes will follow you anywhere.
My recommendation is find the floor plan you like and buy that one.

You can pull a bumper pull with any vehicle that has a GVW sufficient to pull it.

With a 5th wheel, you are limited to a truck. A little more restrictive for future choices of tow vehicles.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 04:50 AM   #39

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
We battled that decision for a long time but ultimately chose the 21C because we wanted to keep our truck bed storage as well as our hard shell lockable hinged bed cover to house our lawn chairs, outdoor table, screen tent, gas grill, small bbq pit, charcoal, extra propane bottle, extra water and other misc items.

At home we sleep on a king size bed but we've been amazed at how roomy the 21C has been since you can actually sleep all the way to the edge.

Good luck!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 05:02 AM   #40

Quote:
ETI sells a lot of 5.0 trailers. That means that a lot of people do not find having a truck shell to be a necessity. There is still storage space in the bed of the truck for items like camp chairs, coolers, etc. And as far as the “logic” proposed by Occer, being restricted to a truck? I’ve almost always had a truck in my “stable.” They are not just for towing, and almost all 5th wheel hitches are removable allowing the cargo bed to be used for multiple purposes when not towing. Personally, consideration of what is needed for a tow vehicle is not a consideration at all. I have a saddle tool box in front of my 5th wheel hitch. In it are 3 separate tote containers, one labeled electric, the second propane, and the third water. I also keep a propane campfire in the toolbox. Everything inside is protected from weather. I can even slip a 10’ telescoping ladder over the hitch and slide it under the toolbox. Perhaps the toolbox is due to laziness (don’t have to pack everything each time we go out), but the accessories within only come out when needed at a campsite, and as a result, I never leave any essential items at home.

Please note I am speaking about what works for me. If Occer’s concern about restrictions on tow vehicles is a valid concern, then his decisions work for him. Each one of us can ask for advice, but each one of us is responsible for the final decisions to be made.