Towing 5.0 vs Trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2023, 11:08 AM   #1

Trailer: HiCamp Tear Drop
Towing 5.0 vs Trailer

This is a question for people with experience towing both trailers and the 5.0.

I’ve never towed a fifth wheel, but have towed lots of boats and small trailers.

I’m curious if you found the 5.0 to be significantly easier and more stable to tow.

If we go the 5.0 route we give up our truck shell, which, both my wife and I get great utility from. However, the benefits of towing, backing, connecting etc may make it worth it.
MoreQuestionsThanAnswers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 11:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Is there a question in there?
Old 12-15-2023, 11:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Is there a question in there?
Just updated. Recognized I’d never asked what I wanted to know.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreQuestionsThanAnswers View Post
.... I’m curious if you found the 5.0 to be significantly easier and more stable to tow .....
Having towed many more bumper-pull trailers than my 5.0, I prefer to describe the 5.0 as an overall more relaxed hitching and towing experience in comparison to similar-space bumper-pull trailers. And for me that's significant.

All of my properly loaded bumper-pull rigs have been very "stable", but there are wind and road conditions where they impart more 'feedback' on the tug than the 5.0. IMO that's just inherent with the leverage afforded by the behind-the-tug-axle bumper hitch compared to the over-the-tug-axle in-bed hitch. I do not miss messing with a WDH (wonderful devices but they are an extra effort to use).

Given a choice all other things being equal I'd go for the 5.0; only you can decide if the bed-utilization compromise is 'worth it' for you.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:58 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm 5'7" tall and drive a Ford F-150 4x4. When I bought Ten Forward, I could step on the top of the truck tire and 'hike' myself up to look into the box and make certain there was a positive latch on the king pin and hook the brake away cable up. I can see into the box with both feet on the ground, but my arms aren't long enough to handle the hitching duties. Ten years later... now I have to use a small step ladder. One thing about a 'bumper' pull trailer is both feet are always on the ground when you hitch up the trailer. It's a small thing, but something to consider as we're all getting older!

I towed a 16' Scamp for years. It was easy to tow. Maybe that's because I've always towed with an F-150 and never used a WDH? Backing up was easy too. I actually have more issues backing up my 5th wheel, especially when backing over my right shoulder, because I can't see the rear of the trailer when it swings. Sigh. However, I'm not embarrassed if it takes me two dozen attempts. I'll eventually get it in 'there.' If someone is watching, when I'm done I step out of the truck throw my arms in the air, pump my fists and go get a beer

Good luck with your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Having towed many more bumper-pull trailers than my 5.0, I prefer to describe the 5.0 as an overall more relaxed hitching and towing experience in comparison to similar-space bumper-pull trailers. And for me that's significant.

All of my properly loaded bumper-pull rigs have been very "stable", but there are wind and road conditions where they impart more 'feedback' on the tug than the 5.0. IMO that's just inherent with the leverage afforded by the behind-the-tug-axle bumper hitch compared to the over-the-tug-axle in-bed hitch. I do not miss messing with a WDH (wonderful devices but they are an extra effort to use).

Given a choice all other things being equal I'd go for the 5.0; only you can decide if the bed-utilization compromise is 'worth it' for you.
Thanks again Centex. I have a concern with a 19 or 21 in the wind, and being a little more comfortable towing is huge to me. I’ve never had a trailer or boat big enough to really be bothered by a side wind, but I’ve seen enough light weight trailers swaying that it’s a concern.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm 5'7" tall and drive a Ford F-150 4x4. When I bought Ten Forward, I could step on the top of the truck tire and 'hike' myself up to look into the box and make certain there was a positive latch on the king pin and hook the brake away cable up. I can see into the box with both feet on the ground, but my arms aren't long enough to handle the hitching duties. Ten years later... now I have to use a small step ladder. One thing about a 'bumper' pull trailer is both feet are always on the ground when you hitch up the trailer. It's a small thing, but something to consider as we're all getting older!

I towed a 16' Scamp for years. It was easy to tow. Maybe that's because I've always towed with an F-150 and never used a WDH? Backing up was easy too. I actually have more issues backing up my 5th wheel, especially when backing over my right shoulder, because I can't see the rear of the trailer when it swings. Sigh. However, I'm not embarrassed if it takes me two dozen attempts. I'll eventually get it in 'there.' If someone is watching, when I'm done I step out of the truck throw my arms in the air, pump my fists and go get a beer

Good luck with your decision.
Awesome Donna. I appreciate the perspective.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
. . . One thing about a 'bumper' pull trailer is both feet are always on the ground when you hitch up the trailer. It's a small thing, but something to consider as we're all getting older!
When I'm connecting 7-pin, chains, break-away cable, my whole body is on the ground!

I've never towed a fifth wheel (we have a 2013 Ford Expedition), but in principle putting the hitch over the rear axle, as the semis do, should be a more stable configuration than putting it behind your tow vehicle.

But, with the E2 weight-distributing hitch, my E21C tows steady and straight, and I have never noticed a problem with wind.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

I have a concern with a 19 or 21 in the wind, and being a little more comfortable towing is huge to me. I’ve never had a trailer or boat big enough to really be bothered by a side wind, but I’ve seen enough light weight trailers swaying that it’s a concern.
Well neither have I. I've towed a 19 and a 21 coast-to-coast in Canada and the US and Alaska to Baja and I've never been really bothered by wind. You can feel it sometimes, also when a semi is passing you, but it's a non issue. Sway sort of gets into another situation. I've never encountered it on my Escapes, just a stupidly loaded car trailer in my youth.

I use a WDH without sway contol.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 02:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
Towing issues aside , my wife and I both would not want to deal with the stairs on a daily basis. Also the overall height of the 5.0 although not really tall was a concern in some tighter campsites but probably not in most .
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 04:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:

I’ve never towed a fifth wheel, but have towed lots of boats and small trailers.

I’m curious if you found the 5.0 to be significantly easier and more stable to tow.

If we go the 5.0 route we give up our truck shell, which, both my wife and I get great utility from. However, the benefits of towing, backing, connecting etc may make it worth it.
There is a learning curve when it comes to backing any trailer. Actually, because the wheels of the 5.0 are closer to wheels of the tow vehicle, I have found that it swings much faster than bumper pulled trailers I have towed. Some people would say that a faster swing makes it more difficult to back up until you get used to the 5.0’s backing response.

As far as towing, and my (opinionated) comment will rub some people the wrong way, but I would say towing a 5th wheel is like watching color TV, towing a bumper pull is like watching TV in black and white. The likelihood of sway is all but eliminated. Because if the overlap of the 5th wheel and the truck, overall it is a shorter combination making it somewhat easier to negotiate crowded gas pumps.
Old 12-15-2023, 04:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
I am a bit taller than Donna, but can't reach to hook up my breakaway brake cable when I'm standing on the ground, either.

For the extra reach I need I stand on one of the wooden blocks I use under my front landing gear (some ppl use plastic ones) or the portable step I carry for stepping up onto the trailers step of my raised-frame 5.0TA.

I don't find it an issue or a hassle, it's just part of the routine.
Old 12-15-2023, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
There is a learning curve when it comes to backing any trailer. Actually, because the wheels of the 5.0 are closer to wheels of the tow vehicle, I have found that it swings much faster than bumper pulled trailers I have towed. Some people would say that a faster swing makes it more difficult to back up until you get used to the 5.0’s backing response.

As far as towing, and my (opinionated) comment will rub some people the wrong way, but I would say towing a 5th wheel is like watching color TV, towing a bumper pull is like watching TV in black and white. The likelihood of sway is all but eliminated. Because if the overlap of the 5th wheel and the truck, overall it is a shorter combination making it somewhat easier to negotiate crowded gas pumps.
Yup, I’m thinking the 5.0 will be much easy to get up my driveway on my crowded city street. My teardrop has a short wheelbase so I am familiar with the quicker reaction to input.
Old 12-15-2023, 04:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well neither have I. I've towed a 19 and a 21 coast-to-coast in Canada and the US and Alaska to Baja and I've never been really bothered by wind. You can feel it sometimes, also when a semi is passing you, but it's a non issue. Sway sort of gets into another situation. I've never encountered it on my Escapes, just a stupidly loaded car trailer in my youth.

I use a WDH without sway contol.

Ron
Thank you Ron. Glad to hear that the wind has not been a problem
Old 12-15-2023, 05:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post

As far as towing, and my (opinionated) comment will rub some people the wrong way, but I would say towing a 5th wheel is like watching color TV, towing a bumper pull is like watching TV in black and white.
I'm well used to a vast array of somewhat predicable opinions on everything from awnings to windows but I don't agree with your analogy of watching TVs.

That sort of implies that towing is a 100% activity but that's not my experience. If I had to throw out a number I'd say 10% of the time that I'm towing I'm watching that allegory TV. That's maybe during a lane change or heavy traffic watching out for the trailer proximity to others etc. The other 90% of the time it's just me driving my truck down the highway, no TV watching involved.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 06:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:

I have towed boats and utility trailers for years....No problem... Still suck (but learning!) to back up my 5.0....def been a learning experience...but I'll get it
Old 12-15-2023, 07:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:

Either trailer will tow just fine with the proper hitch setup and weight distribution. In time you will get comfortable with backing and connecting either style of trailer and the procedure will become a routine task no matter which trailer you choose.

Ultimately I would go with the model with the features and floorplan that makes you happy. We chose our 5.0 because that trailer's floorplan is the one that works for us. I feel like any towing advantage between the 2 trailers is not that significant and in my case was only a secondary consideration for my model choice.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 09:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm well used to a vast array of somewhat predicable opinions on everything from awnings to windows but I don't agree with your analogy of watching TVs.

That sort of implies that towing is a 100% activity but that's not my experience. If I had to throw out a number I'd say 10% of the time that I'm towing I'm watching that allegory TV. That's maybe during a lane change or heavy traffic watching out for the trailer proximity to others etc. The other 90% of the time it's just me driving my truck down the highway, no TV watching involved.

Ron
Ron, I believe you totally misunderstood my “analogy.” In reality it was a strict comparison, even if it only applies to 10% of the towing time. Perhaps I should have compared a rib eye steak vs. a hot dog, or a bottle of fine wine vs. a bottle of Ripple. Or even perhaps propelling a boat with an outboard motor vs. rowing. If you were watching television, would you prefer the programming to be in color or B&W? I would. I also understand there will be those who prefer to eat hot dogs while drinking lousy wine in their row boats. I’m just saying having towed both (more years with bumper pulls, I find towing a 5th wheel preferable to a bumper pull because, from my experience, I don’t expect it to sway even 10% of the time or to be as affected by wind, etc., making 100% of my towing experience better, or in other words, the difference between watching television in color vs. watching it in B&W. And as you have stated, as I did, it was my very opinionated statement.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:47 AM   #19

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
A consideration for me was the overall length of the rig. When parking in smaller lots, like in a strip mall or restaurant or museum, it's often necessary to be able to fit into 2 end-to-end parking spaces; there may not be a long row of empty spaces to pull across. My F-150 + 5.0 will just fit into 2 spaces without hanging over. This has made some desired travel day stops possible. Just one consideration among many. Best of luck deciding!

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 09:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Both tow fine set up properly.

I have towed many hundreds of different trailers from a tow behind air compressor to a tractor trailer combo. Lots of differences in all trailers but going about it properly you will have no issues.

As far as Escape trailers go I have towed only the 19 and 5.0TA. Going straight down the road with normal conditions there is not much of a difference. Though the 19 did fine in crosswinds the 5.0TA has a more stable ride. In fact, I almost feel the truck/5.0TA combo is more stable than the truck alone, but I have been wrong before.

As Carl mentioned, the 5.0TA does turn quicker and sharper than a bumper pull when reversing. I am used to fifth wheels but on a much longer wheel base. This however can be a wee bit of an advantage once you get used to it, which doesn't take long. This said, I never had trouble reversing the 19 into a spot I wanted it.

No need for a WDH with the 5.0TA, but using one is not really an issue anyway.

All this said I would not recommend buying an Escape base on bumper or fifth wheel towing, both will perform great. Both will allow you to go out and make memories.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote