Towing 5.0 vs Trailer - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2023, 10:58 AM   #41

Trailer: HiCamp Tear Drop
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
ETI sells a lot of 5.0 trailers. That means that a lot of people do not find having a truck shell to be a necessity. There is still storage space in the bed of the truck for items like camp chairs, coolers, etc. And as far as the “logic” proposed by Occer, being restricted to a truck? I’ve almost always had a truck in my “stable.” They are not just for towing, and almost all 5th wheel hitches are removable allowing the cargo bed to be used for multiple purposes when not towing. Personally, consideration of what is needed for a tow vehicle is not a consideration at all. I have a saddle tool box in front of my 5th wheel hitch. In it are 3 separate tote containers, one labeled electric, the second propane, and the third water. I also keep a propane campfire in the toolbox. Everything inside is protected from weather. I can even slip a 10’ telescoping ladder over the hitch and slide it under the toolbox. Perhaps the toolbox is due to laziness (don’t have to pack everything each time we go out), but the accessories within only come out when needed at a campsite, and as a result, I never leave any essential items at home.

Please note I am speaking about what works for me. If Occer’s concern about restrictions on tow vehicles is a valid concern, then his decisions work for him. Each one of us can ask for advice, but each one of us is responsible for the final decisions to be made.
I understand. I appreciate hearing everyone opinions and experiences. We have a new Tundra so don’t see any concerns about needing a new tow vehicle. I have loved the shell on the truck, but I think the 5.0 is the best option for us because I want the most stable towing platform I can have , and just as big, I’m certain it can negotiate our in city driveway.
MoreQuestionsThanAnswers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 11:04 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
With the - Right hitch, and right tongue weight, all of the Escapes will follow you anywhere.
My recommendation is find the floor plan you like and buy that one.

You can pull a bumper pull with any vehicle that has a GVW sufficient to pull it.

With a 5th wheel, you are limited to a truck. A little more restrictive for future choices of tow vehicles.
After sitting in all the different sizes at the escape factory we found the 21and 5.0 to be the best fit for us. I’m concerned about the ability to get the 21 up our driveway. Especially when cars are parked on both sides of the street, which is most of the time. .
Old 12-18-2023, 11:09 AM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreQuestionsThanAnswers View Post
Thanks again Centex. I have a concern with a 19 or 21 in the wind, and being a little more comfortable towing is huge to me. I’ve never had a trailer or boat big enough to really be bothered by a side wind, but I’ve seen enough light weight trailers swaying that it’s a concern.
When we got our E19 4 years ago I was as green as green could be. Never towed anything in my life. Needless to say I was somewhat nervous. I did get the Andersen weight distribution hitch with built in sway control.
I must say the towing experience has been a lot less stressful than what I thought it would be.

I have been in some pretty big storms with high winds in the mountains and the trailer didn't even show a hint of sway. Seemed rock solid back there. Having said that, I typically never go above 100k per hour (62 mph).

Even backing up has been easier than I thought it would be. Certainly not a pro but can usually get it where I want within a couple of tries.

My tow vehicle is a GMC Canyon 4x4. Very capable but not as big as a F-150.

I really like having a truck bed with a canopy. We use that so much both camping and not camping, I couldn't imagine life without it, but that is just me.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 11:41 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post

We battled that decision for a long time but ultimately chose the 21C because we wanted to keep our truck bed storage as well as our hard shell lockable hinged bed cover to house our lawn chairs, outdoor table, screen tent, gas grill, small bbq pit, charcoal, extra propane bottle, extra water and other misc items.
Also, for me, my two long kayaks on racks.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:35 PM   #45

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK View Post
No wdh , questionable tow vehicle to be using without any wdh . Also a response of a similar incident without wdh
Dan: Just to clarify if you are are referring to the response by TesaLD of a similar incident they were using a WDH as confirmed in post #30 of that thread. This doesn't mean that the trailer was loaded properly or there was wasn't some other cause. It sounds like the driver got nervous with the trailer starting to shimmy when passing a truck, hit the brakes and then hit the median. My guess is she was sucked in a bit by the low pressure zone at the back of the big rig and overcompensated.

The only time I truly had sway it was my fault with the 19 light on the tongue and hit with a crosswind. Anyone towing a trailer with electric brakes should practice applying the manual brake lever on your brake controller. If you encounter sway you do not want to hit the tow vehicle brakes. I pulled the lever over, braking only the trailer and it calmed right down. I am now much more conscientious of proper tongue weight and we also now have an Equal-i-zer WDH that makes the truck and trailer feel much more solid.
Old 12-19-2023, 01:05 AM   #46

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
After sitting in all the different sizes at the escape factory we found the 21and 5.0 to be the best fit for us. I’m concerned about the ability to get the 21 up our driveway. Especially when cars are parked on both sides of the street, which is most of the time. .
Our driveway goes up from the street at about 12%. Our 21C did not have the lift kit and it made the transition without dragging.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 09:31 AM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
This has been our current dilemma. The new neighbors across the street have multiple drivers in the household so they park on the street. If I didn't have the short turning radius of the 5.0, it would be a challenge to get it into our driveway. Hang a 19' or 21' trailer on the back of our 6.5' bed F150 and it would be a no-go.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 11:11 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
This has been our current dilemma. The new neighbors across the street have multiple drivers in the household so they park on the street. If I didn't have the short turning radius of the 5.0, it would be a challenge to get it into our driveway. Hang a 19' or 21' trailer on the back of our 6.5' bed F150 and it would be a no-go.
This is exactly my situation….except it’s two drivers with four cars…
Old 12-19-2023, 11:13 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
“Up our driveway” was misleading. We do have a hill, but it’s the sharp turn with cars on both curbs that gets me.
Old 12-19-2023, 12:26 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
“Up our driveway” was misleading. We do have a hill, but it’s the sharp turn with cars on both curbs that gets me.
Adding a front hitch to the tow vehicle might help under tight conditions...
Old 12-19-2023, 03:16 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
...As far as towing, and my (opinionated) comment will rub some people the wrong way, but I would say towing a 5th wheel is like watching color TV, towing a bumper pull is like watching TV in black and white. ...
I have fallen asleep in front of my color and B&W TV's with no ill effects. However, I really don't want to try that while towing my Escape.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 04:30 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
This is the answer I’ll share with my wife! I want the 5.0, she wants the 19, because we get to keep the truck shell. I’d love to keep the shell also, but I like everything about the 5.0 better.
There really is no big advantage to towing or reversing with the 5.0TA, just small differences as I stated above.

Unless you want to bring lots of stuff 'just in case', there is no need for a shell. I can carry all I need in the box with the use of waterproof boxes. Two often sit under the front panel of the tonneau cover. Other stuff carried in the box, and there is usually very little, is something that can handle getting wet should it happen.

There is a different needs to what we all bring, that's for sure. I come from a background of backcountry travel where minimalism is a HUGE advantage, gotta keep the pack or canoe weight down.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 05:06 AM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I have fallen asleep in front of my color and B&W TV's with no ill effects. However, I really don't want to try that while towing my Escape.
In reference to my “quidquid” quote, I am going to clarify my color vs. black and white television. First, I am not color blind and I do not drive as if I am watching television; there is no falling asleep and there are no interruptions in concentration when on roadways but when watching endless advertisements I think we all tune them out.

All I was saying, and I did state it was opinionated, is that I, and I repeat I meaning my towing experiences instilled in me my opinion that towing a 5th wheel vs. a bumper pull was equivalent to the improvement provided by color TVs over B&W TVs. I also think that at this time in history, the demographics of forum members include many of us who grew up in the B&W age. As a younger crowd takes over, that will change. And why do I have this opinion? I use a conventional 5th wheel hitch, not an Andersen: no rattling safety chains to attach. Far less chance of a breakaway condition, which is why safety chains are not required with 5th wheels. Improved stability, little effect from 18 wheelers speeding by or in cross winds. No weight equalizing hitches or bars with chains to attach to the hitch. While members report that their Escapes tow very well, I can’t argue that point; I have never towed any other Escape than my 5.0, which tows much better than a Scamp I had the displeasure of owning for 3 years and a number of bumper pull trailers I have owned over the years. Per Tom Petty, I won’t back down. I will forever prefer to watch television in color, and I will always prefer towing a 5th wheel over a bumper pull.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:01 AM   #54

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Thanks again Centex. I have a concern with a 19 or 21 in the wind, and being a little more comfortable towing is huge to me. I’ve never had a trailer or boat big enough to really be bothered by a side wind, but I’ve seen enough light weight trailers swaying that it’s a concern.
I towed a 21c for 4 plus years with a very basic wdh, never had any sway or problems in the wind. Of course any really high winds are going to be a problem for any trailer. I think I’d advise that your decision might be better made regarding the other factors, ie more room and larger bed of the 5.0 rather than towability?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 09:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I towed a 21c for 4 plus years with a very basic wdh, never had any sway or problems in the wind. Of course any really high winds are going to be a problem for any trailer. I think I’d advise that your decision might be better made regarding the other factors, ie more room and larger bed of the 5.0 rather than towability?
It’s simply one of many items I am considering. All of them relevant to my decision making.
Old 12-20-2023, 03:01 PM   #56

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Much of what Carl says in post #53 I agree with, even the colour vs black and white TVs.

I'd like to add that with my roll up tonneau cover and power tailgate on the truck as long as the kingpin is at the appropriate height I can back in lock up and raise tailgate without leaving the cab. Of course I have get out to put pin in to ensure hitch stays locked along with the breakaway cable and plug in the 7pin. Then raise the legs. I find it much simpler than hooking up to our old 13ft stickie we had while the kids were growing up.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 04:04 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Much of what Carl says in post #53 I agree with, even the colour vs black and white TVs.

I'd like to add that with my roll up tonneau cover and power tailgate on the truck as long as the kingpin is at the appropriate height I can back in lock up and raise tailgate without leaving the cab. Of course I have get out to put pin in to ensure hitch stays locked along with the breakaway cable and plug in the 7pin. Then raise the legs. I find it much simpler than hooking up to our old 13ft stickie we had while the kids were growing up.
Wonderful. The ease of connecting is another positive.
Old 12-21-2023, 07:42 AM   #58

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
.... I'd like to add that with my roll up tonneau cover and power tailgate on the truck as long as the kingpin is at the appropriate height I can back in lock up and raise tailgate without leaving the cab. .....
In fairness / full disclosure the OP should be aware that depending on truck dimensions and / or angle of approach, when hitching it may be necessary to 'stop' when the pinbox is part-way into the bed and raise the tailgate lest the tailgate conflict with the front of the 5.0, then proceed to back the rest of the way to connect with the hitch (and the same in reverse sequence when un-hitching).

Some trucks offer clearance to avoid that 'mid-way stop' to close / open the tailgate when aligned perfectly straight, but some (many ?) do not. Some trucks offer a powered open and close tailgate, some do not (I don't believe that the Tundra offers tailgate power-close).

While it's 'easy' I just don't want to leave the impression that the hitching / unhitching the 5.0 is 'too' easy and carefree - one must be very attentive to tailgate clearance issues, and absent a partner to operate the tailgate at critical junctures it may be necessary to 'leave the cab' multiple times in the process.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:11 AM   #59

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:

I'd like to add that with my roll up tonneau cover and power tailgate on the truck as long as the kingpin is at the appropriate height I can back in lock up and raise tailgate without leaving the cab. Of course I have get out to put pin in to ensure hitch stays locked along with the breakaway cable and plug in the 7pin. Then raise the legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
While it's 'easy' I just don't want to leave the impression that the hitching / unhitching the 5.0 is 'too' easy and carefree - one must be very attentive to tailgate clearance issues, and absent a partner to operate the tailgate at critical junctures it may be necessary to 'leave the cab' multiple times in the process.

I agree.

Although I imagine Adrian was speaking hypothetically, I couldn't imagine not getting out to check multiple times during the hitching/unhitching process, even with an assistant. I want to know for myself that everything is aligned properly, the pinbox is the proper height, the hitch is closed properly, the lock bar is across and engaged, etc., etc.

The last thing I want to do is damage the truck or trailer. There are many posts on the forum about hitching procedure checklists and they are invaluable. I have yet to read one that says you stay in the truck.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:31 AM   #60
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Not only do I get out of the truck several times, I stop after pulling away a few blocks and check everything again.

I have CDO. It's like OCD but the letters are arranged alphabetically, like they should be.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote