Accumulator Installation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2022, 10:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I used those hoses. NPT stuff leaked due to thread differences.

Post 31

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...e-21759-2.html
Randy, I find it difficult to understand why Shurflo sells a hose kit that uses fittings with a threading type that is considered incompatible with the ports on their pumps and accumulator. After going online to research compatibility between threading types (see attached PDF), I contacted Shurflo to ask them why they used ports with male NPSM threads on their pumps and accumulator and connectors with female NPT threads on their hoses. Toll free number: 800-854-3218.

No explanation was really given. I was advised that I should use teflon tape to obtain a good seal between the "non-compatible" threading types. A friend, who is an engineer, routinely uses Permatex Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant when combining connectors with NPT and NPSM threads.

I should also note that Escape installed a hose with NPT fittings to connect the pump output port with the PEX pipe.

Do you recall where you purchased the hose and connectors for your accumulator? I would assume that the connectors use NPSM threads.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fitting Threading Types and Compatibility.pdf (513.7 KB, 14 views)
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:24 AM   #22

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I don’t remember where purchased. They were not available locally, so likely an Amazon vendor.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Accumulator Tank

FWIW
I put in a 2.5 gal accumulator. Think I purchased it on Amazon. The tank is positioned with the discharge down, air valve up. I have a valve at the discharge to keep from getting anti-freeze in the tank when winterizing. It's fed off a tee from the pump pressure side. The capacity seems just right to meet our needs. I think I adjusted the tank pressure to something like 25 psi to reduce overall water usage upon a valve opening. Again, meets our needs....
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Accumulator.jpg  
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:05 PM   #24

Trailer: WTB: E19
PSI?

We just got an E19 and want to put one in before our trip to Arizona. What PSI should I pressurize the accumulator to?
Old 12-05-2022, 08:05 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I did 30psi. It has worked well
Old 12-05-2022, 06:00 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I left mine at factory default. Working fine after 7 years.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:59 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
Has anyone used the hoses from the Shurflo pump silencing kit for their accumulator and/or pump?
We used the SHURFLO 94-591-01 Pump Silencing Kit - 36" to install our accumulator. It was easy just unscrewed the existing line from the pump. Run the silencing hose from the pump to the accumulator. Ran the other hose back, and screwed it into the pipe we had unscrewed from the pump. Nothing to cut or crimp, just screw and unscrew.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
We used the SHURFLO 94-591-01 Pump Silencing Kit - 36" to install our accumulator. It was easy just unscrewed the existing line from the pump. Run the silencing hose from the pump to the accumulator. Ran the other hose back, and screwed it into the pipe we had unscrewed from the pump. Nothing to cut or crimp, just screw and unscrew.
Thanks for letting me know!
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:31 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I guess as I age, so has my hearing and the pump does not seem that loud to be irritating....just my $.02 worth.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:51 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
FWIW/FYI: After isolating the water pump in our 15A...I decided to give acoustic foam a try and it works very well, especially given its relatively low cost, at lowering the sound level of the pump.

https://www.amazon.com/TroyStudio-Ac...s%2C169&sr=8-5

Years ago, apart of a different project application, I tested the smaller plastic accumulators and didn't find they made much difference to pump cycling; presumably from their much lower volume (1-quart). Thereafter, for the same project, I went with Shurflo's 2-gallon SS accumulator and have been 100% pleased ever since.

So it made sense to install the same accumulator in our 15A after we picked it up from the original owners and it works as intended for reducing the cycling of the pump. No regrets.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

pump does not seem that loud to be irritating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post

Years ago, apart of a different project application, I tested the smaller plastic accumulators and didn't find they made much difference to pump cycling; presumably from their much lower volume (1-quart).
It's the cycling repeatedly on and off when using small amounts of water that I don't like.

That's not been my experience with the 1 quart size and I've been using them on boats and trailers for over 40 years. I routinely rinse my fingers or brush my teeth etc. without the pump even cutting in.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:42 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape
How does the tank affect winterizing? Do you disconnect and drain, run anti freeze through it, blow air through it? Thanks
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:34 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm not a fan of putting antifreeze in the system. All I've ever done is thoroughly blow out the system.

But my blowing out the system may be a bit more than most folks. I have a large high volume air compressor and I blow out the lines and repeat at least twice. By the time I'm finished there's not even a trace of vapor coming out the tap.

Never had a problem even with sea water turned to ice all around the boat.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:12 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
AntiFreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
How does the tank affect winterizing? Do you disconnect and drain, run anti freeze through it, blow air through it? Thanks
I put a ball valve right off the accumulator discharge. I open the hot water heater to drain as much water from the system as I can. Then I close off the valves to the accumulator tank and hot water tank before running antifreeze through the system. I haven't had a problem.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:46 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
I also use compressed air to blow out the lines; its relatively quick and easy.