Composting toilet in an Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 02:29 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19
Composting toilet in an Escape 19

Would like the forgo the hassle of using a toilet and backwater tank by installing a composting toilet. Can the trailer be ordered WITHOUT a toilet? Or, if not (or when purchasing a used unit), is out easy to remove the stock toilet and cap the opening/lines?
Old 07-24-2020, 04:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielK View Post
Would like the forgo the hassle of using a toilet and backwater tank by installing a composting toilet. Can the trailer be ordered WITHOUT a toilet? Or, if not (or when purchasing a used unit), is out easy to remove the stock toilet and cap the opening/lines?
Composting toilets require near daily emptying of a bottle of urine. And are you going to empty the partially composted fecal matter into compost pile at home after every trip?

Composting toilets are okay for cabins on properties without a septic system. But, as a rule are terrible for mobile installation. Most mobile installs end up dumping the partially composted fecal matter in the trash. This not only removes it from the sewage system that is designed to process it. It adds unnecessary bulk to landfills. This is because not only are you adding fecal matter to the landfill, you're adding the bulky 'composting material'.

So between the near daily emptying of urine, and adding unnecessary bulk to land fills, composting toilets are neither convenient, nor eco friendly.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:25 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Daniel, you can do a search of composting toilet using the google search tool at the top of the page, see attached.

Here's one thread from the search.https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ion-12866.html
Old 07-24-2020, 06:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Check out C-Head
Old 07-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Composting toilets require near daily emptying of a bottle of urine. And are you going to empty the partially composted fecal matter into compost pile at home after every trip?

Composting toilets are okay for cabins on properties without a septic system. But, as a rule are terrible for mobile installation. Most mobile installs end up dumping the partially composted fecal matter in the trash. This not only removes it from the sewage system that is designed to process it. It adds unnecessary bulk to landfills. This is because not only are you adding fecal matter to the landfill, you're adding the bulky 'composting material'.

So between the near daily emptying of urine, and adding unnecessary bulk to land fills, composting toilets are neither convenient, nor eco friendly.
In my county in Idaho, it is not legal to dump anything from a toilet into a dumpster. River trips taking off the Snake and Salmon Rivers are prohibited from doing so, even with systems that are supposed to render the waste inert (e.g. WAG bags). Fortunately, the Forest Service and BLM installed SCAT machines near 2 takeouts for cleaning portable toilets, so there is less of a problem than there was prior to these machines.

Having been a river runner for many years now, and having had to deal with disposing of waste from a portable toilet and cleaning the thing (both with and without a SCAT machine), all I can say is dumping the black tank in my 19 is like a dream come true. It empties itself, it cleans itself (with water and treatment added), and it does so without smell and a visual. I can't imagine why anyone would want to deal with a composter in their camper. The idea is appealing, but maybe the reality not so?? I know there are folks here on the forum who have done it, however, so I'll be interested to see what, if anything, they post!
Old 07-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Too much of a "hassle".

Many composting units utilize an exhaust fan to reduce odor and speed evaporation of liquids. This would be a constant & sizable draw on your battery if boon docking

Do as you please, but I put this mod as a gobsmacking impractical notion, and not without its own multitude of hassles.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #7

This is not a debate!

Please refer to the original post. I am NOT here to debate the merits of composting toilets, laws, customs, ethics, morality, etc. I am only here to ask how it can be done and if anyone has experience doing what I’m trying to do.

If you have anything to contribute to a discussion about how to accomplish this project, I would love your input. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-24-2020, 01:19 PM   #8

I love gobsmacking. Takes me back to a simpler time.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Please refer to the original post. I am NOT here to debate the merits of composting toilets, laws, customs, ethics, morality, etc. I am only here to ask how it can be done and if anyone has experience doing what I’m trying to do.

If you have anything to contribute to a discussion about how to accomplish this project, I would love your input. Thanks in advance!
Sorry!! I’m actually interested in hearing from people who have done it. If this is a good system to consider, I think everyone would be interested in hearing about it. I’m pretty sure there are some folks on this forum who have done it. Maybe do a search to see if there are any past threads discussing this topic??
Old 07-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Would like the forgo the hassle of using a toilet and backwater tank by installing a composting toilet. Can the trailer be ordered WITHOUT a toilet? ...........

That is a question only ETI can answer (and they do not regularly respond on this forum).
Old 07-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

I understand your frustration Daniel, BUT I have learned tons on this forum and hearing opinions for and against helps with my education (I believe that is one of the purposes of the forum). Not everyone experiences the world the same way and what is right for some doesn't necessarily translate to what is best for all.

I am unfamiliar with compost toilets and have learned things already due to your post.

You are not alone, one of my earliest post involved buying a 2 wheel drive pickup vs a 4 wheel drive. Either there were too few two wheel drive pickup owners or they didn't speak up. Many of the answers involved how the 4 wheel drive saved someone from getting stuck or from needing the tow (but how do they know that a 2 wheel with proper tires and locking rear end would have gotten stuck?). I bought a 2 wheel drive with the anti-lock differential, put Nokian All Weather Tires (All Weather, not All Season tires) have had it through 2 winters in Minnesota plus numerous campsites. Both of us drive it in the winter (we haven't added any weight into the box) and we haven't gotten even close to being stuck. Works well for us but I know the majority want 4 wheel drive for varying reasons.

Your topic is a good one for this forum, hopefully it doesn't get off track like some have recently. Oh no, did I just take this off track?
Old 07-24-2020, 02:09 PM   #12

BTW, I posted nearly the same question to the Modifications section, where I think this topic is best suited. Is there a way to remove this thread to avoid duplicate postings?
Old 07-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Sorry!! I’m actually interested in hearing from people who have done it. If this is a good system to consider, I think everyone would be interested in hearing about it. I’m pretty sure there are some folks on this forum who have done it. Maybe do a search to see if there are any past threads discussing this topic??
NO it is NOT a 'good system'.

I have a Sprinter van that I have self-converted to a camper. Composting toilets were very popular in #vanlife. They were a big fad in van conversions. So over the last 2 years, I have thoroughly researched composting toilets as an option to install in my van conversion and have followed the social media of many composting toilet users.

If they can get past the cognitive dissonance caused by spending almost $1000 USD on a Nature's Head toilet, most who have had long term composting toilet installs in vans admit they aren't all they cracked up to be.

Many people turn to them because they sound 'eco friendly', the reality is they are not. They also sound less 'gross' to empty than a porta-pottie, they aren't because you deal with a container of urine almost daily, and when it come time to actually change out the partially composted fecal matter, reality sets in.

The 'fad' has also caused places that previously allowed RVs overnight in their parking lots to start to restrict them because there is a belief in compost toilet users that you can simply dump your urine container out in the nearest bush or planting.

You can't just ask to hear the good, as I said, it is very hard for someone to admit they wasted $1000 on a composting toilet. Yes, as they are less of a fad prices have fallen, and yes there are ways to make your own, that still doesn't change they aren't all they cracked up to be.

For a good read on cognitive dissonance: The REAL Reason that Canon vs. Nikon Will Never Die
Old 07-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thread moved per OP
Old 07-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:

I’m sure you can order the trailer with no toilet or ask to have it not installed and save it in case you change your mind.
One thing there really isn’t any extra hassle in dealing with the black tank as you still have to dump your grey tank so it’s really just another handle to pull.
If you dump the black first then the grey your hose will also be fairly clean.

Just some food for thought.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:

If you don't want a debate about it, the only way to avoid that would be to not start a new thread on it. The issue of composting toilets has been discussed here before, and it always leads to debate. I'd suggest you do a site search for other threads dealing with the same topic, such as here and here for starters. The first link documents a composting toilet install.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
This is worth watching, I know it has been posted before. Composting toilet in a sprinter van rv.

Pretty funny!

Calling them a composting toilet is really false advertising. The poo is never in there long enough to even start composting. It is all going into the trash unless you are using a composting toilet system at home and can compost it once you get home. And you won't be forgoing any hassle.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
They are actually considered dessicating toilets rather than composting
Old 07-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

Ideally, it would finish composting on-site. If that’s not an option, there are plenty of RV waste receptacles. Adding extra fluids complicates the process and diminishes the clean water remaining in the world. In a way similar to using Reverse Osmosis. Cleaning water by using up water. Fine for the rich, but what about the rest of the world? I am willing to shoulder some responsibility for my waste and the water I am trying to protect.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
That is a question only ETI can answer (and they do not regularly respond on this forum).
Thanks. I’ll figure it out. I’m not the first.
Closed Thread