Exterior mounting bracket - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19' sold, 2022 21C
Exterior mounting bracket

Has anyone had success with an exterior mounting bracket being attached to the wall of camper? I wish to stabilize an extended pole to be used for cell booster antenna. I have base options but I want something further up. I do NOT wish to screw into the exterior wall. Adhesive? Suction? Looking for ideas.
seanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've mounted multiple poles on the rear bumper. On some I've run a horizontal piece of metal over to the spare tire carrier. Works quite well in one direction, side-to-side movement but doesn't steady it much fore and aft.

For this I mount the pole directly in front of the frame that supports the bumper and install a short~12" ~diagonal tube clamped both to the frame and vertical pole. Steadies it up quite nicely.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Mike Lewis is the king of masts. Hopefully he'll answer up: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/m...ewis-1523.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I made a pole mount from a piece of pipe attached to the front frame with a U-Bolt between the Propane Bottle cover and the front box. I like the location because after setting up the antenna I run my antenna cable through the drivers side dinette window (almost closed against the cable). When not using the booster I leave the antenna cable outside and close and lock the window. This way I didn't need to make a cable connector penetration through the trailer surface.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mike Lewis is the king of masts. Hopefully he'll answer up: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/m...ewis-1523.html
I'm not so sure I agree with that.

Mike is the king of the highest antenna. I think that my antenna total is higher than his.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I made a pole mount from a piece of pipe attached to the front frame with a U-Bolt between the Propane Bottle cover and the front box. I like the location because after setting up the antenna I run my antenna cable through the drivers side dinette window (almost closed against the cable). When not using the booster I leave the antenna cable outside and close and lock the window. This way I didn't need to make a cable connector penetration through the trailer surface.

Steve
Thanks for the photos. I plan on lower attachments similar to what you describe - I’m concerned with the wobbling of the upper area. No problem so far with your set up?
Old 12-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
No wobbling at all. The fit between the extendable mast and the pipe is just right. Notice that I have a 1/4 bolt attached to the tapped pipe wall to tighten things up if needed. I've never had to use it, even in strong winds. I'm guessing having a round non-directional antenna also helps stability.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I welded two square tubes to our bumper that not only protect the shell a bit more but also can securely support two 22 ft high heavy duty telescoping antenna masts. A win win project.

You can read more on the project here:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post275158
Attached Thumbnails
8221DB47-3BEC-45A3-9F6F-9422C1E27257.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #9

I appreciate response and photos. I’ve never welded…. Don’t know what small welding jobs cost but I’m going to find out.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Has anyone had success with an exterior mounting bracket being attached to the wall of camper? I wish to stabilize an extended pole to be used for cell booster antenna. I have base options but I want something further up. I do NOT wish to screw into the exterior wall. Adhesive? Suction? Looking for ideas.
Before you go to all that trouble try the Drive Reach amp and OTR antenna from WeBoost. Randy@Signalbooster.com in Houston is the guy to call. The only reason to go way up is to attempt to have signal throughout the trailer(needs 25' separation) vs. being nearby the inside antenna. That is more needed for a large Class A than any Escape. I usually am at the dinette where the inside antenna is and Susan can be up front getting signal from my mobile hotspot on my phone. Have been using this amp for over two years and it is the best there is on the market.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Thanks for the photos. I plan on lower attachments similar to what you describe - I’m concerned with the wobbling of the upper area. No problem so far with your set up?
Don't you have a problem with that height when you go under a bridge?
Old 12-14-2021, 05:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Before you go to all that trouble try the Drive Reach amp and OTR antenna from WeBoost. Randy@Signalbooster.com in Houston is the guy to call. The only reason to go way up is to attempt to have signal throughout the trailer(needs 25' separation) vs. being nearby the inside antenna. That is more needed for a large Class A than any Escape. I usually am at the dinette where the inside antenna is and Susan can be up front getting signal from my mobile hotspot on my phone. Have been using this amp for over two years and it is the best there is on the market.
Just sold my E19. About to sign off on my 21C for pick up in spring '22. Did you have an pre wiring done? How do you connect the outside antenna to the inside booster? ETI tells me I can have an exterior coax plug placed with cable run to an inside location with a 12V drop. How does your cable get in?
Old 12-14-2021, 05:52 AM   #13

How and where do you attach the exterior antenna?
Old 12-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I took some square tubing n piece of pipe n wielded up a bracket for our mast
Attached Thumbnails
92D3CF22-7AEE-4580-8F47-802F88B44EC9.jpg   1845E344-EB14-49A7-8A6D-C2D86256B018.jpg   691C8014-4D7D-4465-8604-F44E4518DF6A.jpg  
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #15

Quote:
The reason I have a high antenna is to try and get it above surrounding hills and dense forests. This allows the best signal from the source…if a signal is even there.

Here in BC the terrain is not flat and cell or radio coverage is sparse. Our cabin at Nimpo Lake was over 3 hours from the nearest cell phone coverage in Williams Lake. Of course no mast is go to help extend that cell signal.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
How and where do you attach the exterior antenna?
My amp is in the passenger rear dinette bench corner of U- dinette. I drilled a hole in the floor for the antenna cable and my OTR antenna rides in a 4x4 extra storage tube next the the stock sewer hose tube. I put it up with two sections of the carbon mast included attached to some 3/4" pvc tubing attached to the solar panel.
Attached Thumbnails
otr1.jpg   otr2.jpg  
Old 12-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
I took some square tubing n piece of pipe n wielded up a bracket for our mast
This is on sale at Princess Auto in Canada right now for $25 and of course available at other retailers here and in the US.

You could stick that in the rear receiver even if you had to make a new hole in it so it sticks out more to clear the tire.

You can leave both pieces together for a smaller hole/pole or remove that part for a larger hole/pole. You can also shim either with plumbing waste pipe for a smaller pole. Keep in mind you can slit the plumbing waste pipe for a nice tight fit into the steal.
Attached Thumbnails
A36B0F05-CC0D-496C-9A7D-41BE4703D3B8.jpeg  

Old 12-14-2021, 02:33 PM   #18

Quote:
My amp is in the passenger rear dinette bench corner of U- dinette. I drilled a hole in the floor for the antenna cable and my OTR antenna rides in a 4x4 extra storage tube next the the stock sewer hose tube. I put it up with two sections of the carbon mast included attached to some 3/4" pvc tubing attached to the solar panel.
Many thanks.
Sean
Old 12-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I mounted my WeBoost trucker antenna to the solar panel bracket. Drilled a couple holes and the plate bolts right onto it.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Ive been wondering about a cell booster and appreciate input from those with tall masts. In real world expreience does raising the antenna 15 or 20 feet make a difference.
Tim Orr is offline   Reply With Quote