Fan recommendation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2022, 07:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Fan recommendation

Hi All,

We are gearing up for a month + across the US. We got our "Spirit" 21ne to do snowbirding type trips 2 winters ago. We did one and last winter decided to go somewhere else. So, this year we'll be doing our first summer trip. We will also be boondocking/moochdocking for the first time. We did a dry camp up in the White Mountains in May when there was 87 degree heat wave. We had to use the a/c but were connected to shore power.

We're trying to avoid buying a generator and arguing about the need for a soft start. Since we'll only be boondocking for 1-2 days at a time and have shore power the rest, can anyone recommend a fan for the bedroom and one for the dinette area where my 14 yo sleeps?

I looked at Eggscape's thread but couldn't tell from it which window fan he used.

Grateful for the suggestions!
TravelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I have used these fans in the past. They are pretty efficient and easy to use. You will probably want to get the clamp mount which is additional cost if you decide to get one or two of these fans. I used both permanent mount and mobile (clamp) mount. They come in white and black.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Not to influence any arguments dealing with a true soft start device such as the Micro Air Easy Start, but even if you don't have or need a generator, the soft start will remove the compressor start up "thump" which at times is loud enough to shake the trailer.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:57 AM   #4

Vermilye -- you don't need to convince me! I want it but husband spoke to mobile rv guy who says he doubted it would work (nice guy but probably not a ton of experience with mods). We're also at odds about boondocking. That's why we're putting off purchase of generator and soft start and getting additional personal fans for the one or 2 nights we'll be boondocking.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
I have used these fans in the past. They are pretty efficient and easy to use. You will probably want to get the clamp mount which is additional cost if you decide to get one or two of these fans. I used both permanent mount and mobile (clamp) mount. They come in white and black.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Thank you!
Old 06-08-2022, 09:15 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The overhead fan works great to draw in air around open windows......
Old 06-08-2022, 09:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMama View Post
Hi All,

We are gearing up for a month + across the US. We got our "Spirit" 21ne to do snowbirding type trips 2 winters ago. We did one and last winter decided to go somewhere else. So, this year we'll be doing our first summer trip. We will also be boondocking/moochdocking for the first time. We did a dry camp up in the White Mountains in May when there was 87 degree heat wave. We had to use the a/c but were connected to shore power.

We're trying to avoid buying a generator and arguing about the need for a soft start. Since we'll only be boondocking for 1-2 days at a time and have shore power the rest, can anyone recommend a fan for the bedroom and one for the dinette area where my 14 yo sleeps?

I looked at Eggscape's thread but couldn't tell from it which window fan he used.

I like USB charged devices versus battery powered. I have used this fan for a couple years and it works good I have one at either end of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
47405C8E-5F57-4269-A56F-411679922618.jpg  
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 21NE
So far I have been doing what Jim does. I use the MaxFan to exhaust air out of the trailer and open a window next to where I am, either in bed at the back of the trailer or at the dinette in front of the trailer. If I need more cooling then I turn on the air conditioner which runs off the batteries using the inverter.

However, I do have this fan in my Amazon Cart because I have been thinking about getting a couple. If I didn't have air conditioning, I would definitely have the fans.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Acquisition addict here. We have the generator, the micro air and to your interest may be the 12 volt endless breeze box fan. We have one and my daughter also has one for their Boler. Works great, doesn’t draw too much current, and moves quite a bit of air. We occasionally use it outside too,
to cool off on a hot day or keep the bugs away.

https://www.kicoro.shop/product/blac...reeze-01100wh/

Cheaper than a micro-air and less than the tax on a generator.
Get a 25 foot long piece of two stranded wire , the cigarette plug and receptacle and make up your own “extension cord” and you are good to go.

Iowa Dave
Old 06-08-2022, 10:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We have this 12 volt fan mounted on the wall at the corner of the bedroom and have been pretty happy with it - quiet, has two speeds: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Thumbs up on Caframo fan

I'll second the reference to Caframo fans. I've now installed them in all 3 of our Escapes. Very efficient with minimal current draw. In hot summer days, we can keep it on 24/7 with seemingly no draw-down on the batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Caframo-Marin...010UQQRK&psc=1

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
Before our last trip we were shopping at Costco and saw a curious little fan called a WooZoo that can oscillate in many different ways. It was fortunate that we bought it becouse our A/C failed the first night. Between that fan and the Maxxair in the ceiling it was great despite being in tropical Louisiana! It does not work on 12v though, we thought it broke the second night but then realized the whole campground lost power.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We have this 12 volt fan mounted on the wall at the corner of the bedroom and have been pretty happy with it - quiet, has two speeds: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have one of these in the bed area affixed to the underside of drivers side dinette, and the Scirocco 2 in the dinette area. Both are great. Scirocco far more adjustable and frankly looks amazing, but the Hella moves more air and is very lightweight. I would recommend drilling a concentric bore hole through the Hella mount to feed the wire through.
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
For our daughters trailer we recently ordered enough of theses USB powered fans from Walmart Canada to get free shipping. They are quite and can hang by the base. For $13 each the are great.

I did a search of Walmart.com in the US for “USB fan’s” and they have a bunch to select from. The ones like I got are only $7 each.

The fans I used in the windows are standard computer fans made by many manufacturers. They are nice but it is also good to have something you can direct exactly where you want.
Attached Thumbnails
05E651B1-9F19-409B-B9D6-F8020D9D5984.jpg   7EAF7DBD-6FF5-4653-A46A-AB8373D7CD3A.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMama View Post
Hi All,

In the past I have also used the Maxfan to draw air in though a select few windows with all the others closed. Unfortunately my board and lift mechanism on my Maxxfan are waiting for backordered parts....
I have a fan made to use my Milwaukee battery drill batteries. it will go all night on one battery and also works at the picnic table to keep the mozzies blown away!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I have this little clip on 12 volt fan.

Alagoo 12V 6''Car Cooling Fan Automobile Vehicle Clip Fan Powerful Quiet Ventilation Electric Car Fans with Adjustable Clip & Cigarette Lighter Plug for Car/Vehicle
It’s convenient with the large clip. I have cats and want to make sure that they are guaranteed a comfortable environment if I don’t have hookups.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypill View Post
I have one of these in the bed area affixed to the underside of drivers side dinette, and the Scirocco 2 in the dinette area. Both are great. Scirocco far more adjustable and frankly looks amazing, but the Hella moves more air and is very lightweight. I would recommend drilling a concentric bore hole through the Hella mount to feed the wire through.
We would second the suggestion of the Scirocco 2 fan. We have two of them installed, one over the bed like a ceiling fan and the other to move air the length of the trailer, and they work great. Use them with the MaxxFan to draw in fresh cooler air and the Scirorros to move air and we rarely use the AC. I like that they are marine grade so the motor and bearings/bushings are more robust, and the electrics are more resistant to corrosion.

I also would recommend a soft start. You will want it with a generator but it's very nice on shore power too. Very easy to install yourself, but do watch the installation video prior to doing it.

Safe travels, and stay healthy,
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Acquisition addict here. We have the generator, the micro air and to your interest may be the 12 volt endless breeze box fan. We have one and my daughter also has one for their Boler. Works great, doesn’t draw too much current, and moves quite a bit of air. We occasionally use it outside too,
to cool off on a hot day or keep the bugs away.

https://www.kicoro.shop/product/blac...reeze-01100wh/

Cheaper than a micro-air and less than the tax on a generator.
Get a 25 foot long piece of two stranded wire , the cigarette plug and receptacle and make up your own “extension cord” and you are good to go.

Iowa Dave
We also have (and recommend) the Endless Breeze. I had extra 12v outlets included in our build so we can position the thing wherever it’s most needed. (We also use the MaxxFan as others have mentioned)
Old 06-09-2022, 05:52 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
In the past I have also used the Maxfan to draw air in though a select few windows with all the others closed. Unfortunately my board and lift mechanism on my Maxxfan are waiting for backordered parts....
I have a fan made to use my Milwaukee battery drill batteries. it will go all night on one battery and also works at the picnic table to keep the mozzies blown away!
I would suggest checking the price of an entirely new Maxfan compared to the replacement parts. I found that ordering one from Scamp was very reasonable compared to other sources and more available than parts alone.Asa bonus you will end up with several other spare parts. EDIT: I just checked and it looks like the price went up to 325 for the deluxe, was 285 when I ordered one last year. Still likely a competive price in this crazy market and includes free shipping.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:49 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRV View Post
I would suggest checking the price of an entirely new Maxfan compared to the replacement parts. I found that ordering one from Scamp was very reasonable compared to other sources and more available than parts alone.Asa bonus you will end up with several other spare parts. EDIT: I just checked and it looks like the price went up to 325 for the deluxe, was 285 when I ordered one last year. Still likely a competive price in this crazy market and includes free shipping.
I hear ya. I am tempted but the parts...when they get them...are like $140. It is tough to justify having another $175 for parts I don't need.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote