Kitchen Sink Hepvo Install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Kitchen Sink Hepvo Install

I was never too happy with the ABS piping for the kitchen sink in my 2017 21'. The trap drain fitting was located where it was hard to empty without dumping water behind the paneling in the bottom cabinet. It seemed to take up a lot of space that could be used for storage. But more important than all these, the sink never seemed to drain well - if I turned up the faucet too high, the sink would flood.

After looking at the installation, I found that there should be a vent on the piping and there are a total of six 90 deg bends in the piping impeding the water flow. So I decided to fix it. As a Hepvo valve doesn't need a vent and only uses two 90's, that seemed the way to go.

I cut out the old piping (pic 1), then cut out a new hole in the shelf for the Hepvo pipe routing, glued a ABS to SJ transition to the pipe going to the grey tank, and installed the plumbing. I used rubber seals (like green one shown in pic 1) on all the connections - the plastic seals that some of the fittings come with seem to have leakage problems that the rubber ones don't.

The finished product is shown in pic 2 and 3.

The wife is happy with the increased area under the sink and the water properly drains. The only thing left is fill that hole in the shelf that the old piping went through.
Attached Thumbnails
Old sink drain.jpg   Hepvo sink drain 1.jpg   Hepvo sink drain 2.jpg  
Old 02-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Nice, really nice! Wish I could hire you to do mine. I've stared at it until I'm blue in the face. I guess I'm just worried the glue will setup before everything is lined up properly. Sigh.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #3

There is only one glued connection in my installation - the ABS to SJ transition fitting. All the rest of the fittings are slip joint fittings (SJ) and allow a lot of latitude for fit-up. SJ piping is available in 45's, 90's, straight - all the fittings you should need to run your piping. Also, don't worry about using SJ fittings - they are standard for sink plumbing. Take a look under any sink in your house and you will see SJ fittings.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Now you've done it! Another thing to add to my mod list.

Seriously, very nicely done and well planned.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I have installed a lot of Hepvo valves with no issues. Last spring I installed one to resolve my E-21 bath/shower drain issues with no problems. ETI tried using the Hepvo valves on the bath shower drains but complained of leaks. I replaced my kitchen sink last summer and ordered and used a Hepvo valve like in this thread. I too had leaking issues with the new valve. I pulled the valve connections apart and found the black rubber connection seals were dry. I lubed the rubber seals with silicone paste and no more leaks. For some reason the new valve seals are not being lubed. I recommend checking your connection seals for lubrication and if dry lube the seals in your new Hepvo valve. It will save you a little frustration when checking for leaks. BTW, this is a great mod.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
tom...Tom...TOM!!! I am all over this mod. Maybe Dave and I can do this at the Bluebonnet Rally. Are you going?

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Like the space it creates but $54 on Amazon.ca is a little hard to justify for a plastic tube if everything is working fine...we will see.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Like the space it creates but $54 on Amazon.ca is a little hard to justify for a plastic tube if everything is working fine...we will see.
IF you're still interested, I found this: Contact Drainmaster regarding HepvO

Send a message and maybe you'll find out where you can buy it either locally or a weblink in Canada.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Little House Customs sells them for $26.50 & shipping.
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Tom,
Very nice mod. Do you have to use any special tool to cut the lower port of the black pipe? It appears that there is no room for a saw to reach the corner of the cabinet to saw the pipe off. Please give advice to perform this tricky task. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #11

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Tom,
Very nice mod. Do you have to use any special tool to cut the lower port of the black pipe? It appears that there is no room for a saw to reach the corner of the cabinet to saw the pipe off. Please give advice to perform this tricky task. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Can you use string?
We used to do that in our scada systems to cut plastic pipe when it was hard to access.
Nylon string cuts most plastic pipe as well as a saw.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #12

Wetzk,
Thanks for the suggestion to use string. What a great idea. Now I can attempt to do this mod. I appreciated your help.
Tonny LR
Old 02-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Tom, I see the Hepvo comes in 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 sizes. I hate to assume, so did you use the 1-1/2 size? TIA.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Tom,

Tonny LR
I used a short bladed sawzall but it was close to not working. A cable saw would be a good choice. https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...BoCoTAQAvD_BwE
Old 02-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Tom, I see the Hepvo comes in 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 sizes. I hate to assume, so did you use the 1-1/2 size? TIA.
1 1/2" Hepvo.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I used a short bladed sawzall but it was close to not working. A cable saw would be a good choice. https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-...BoCoTAQAvD_BwE
Thank you for sharing your mod and using cable saw to cut the black pipe. I bought the parts from Larry for quick some time, but don't the idea as to how to tackle it. You showed me how to do it. Thank you very much.
Tonny LR
Old 02-17-2018, 01:30 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Great job, Tom! We don't have any drainage issues in our 2015, but to gain more storage under the sink would be super. Thanks for your post, especially the great pics.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I was never too happy with the ABS piping for the kitchen sink in my 2017 21'. The trap drain fitting was located where it was hard to empty without dumping water behind the paneling in the bottom cabinet. It seemed to take up a lot of space that could be used for storage. But more important than all these, the sink never seemed to drain well - if I turned up the faucet too high, the sink would flood.

After looking at the installation, I found that there should be a vent on the piping and there are a total of six 90 deg bends in the piping impeding the water flow. So I decided to fix it. As a Hepvo valve doesn't need a vent and only uses two 90's, that seemed the way to go.

I cut out the old piping (pic 1), then cut out a new hole in the shelf for the Hepvo pipe routing, glued a ABS to SJ transition to the pipe going to the grey tank, and installed the plumbing. I used rubber seals (like green one shown in pic 1) on all the connections - the plastic seals that some of the fittings come with seem to have leakage problems that the rubber ones don't.

The finished product is shown in pic 2 and 3.

The wife is happy with the increased area under the sink and the water properly drains. The only thing left is fill that hole in the shelf that the old piping went through.
🤔 It looks as if you could have mounted the hepvo valve vertically, if you could do that seems like a lot less likely to get a leak. Is there room for that? Can you mount those valves vertically?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔 It looks as if you could have mounted the hepvo valve vertically, if you could do that seems like a lot less likely to get a leak. Is there room for that? Can you mount those valves vertically?
Yes, the Hepvo can be mounted vertically. This is a pic Jim Bennett shared of his install.
Attached Thumbnails
JimsHepvroInstall.jpg  
Old 02-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
i'm going to stick this thread, very helpful and informational.