Modifications to Eggscape - Page 39 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2022, 05:58 PM   #761

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Bravo, maestro!

Still another swell idea for a mod from your fertile mind. I believe I will do this mod. Good idea, easily enough done & a preventive, effective suggestion.

Your next project needs to be a "cloaking" device, a la Star Trek. As I figure, it's the "out front, out of the way" visibility that entices the scoundrels. Not an easy task to accomplish, and plenty of people are working on the cloaking issue, but some camouflaged technique can only help. Maybe a fabric winter cover to make it look like a "stickie" would do the trick.
Friends who bought a sticky this year are returning it to the factory or dealer as it leaks rain water like a sieve. And so it goes. I told them so!

And what's become of your daughters micro rig that you constructed? I'd sure like to see the completed project. And another BRAVO to you for accomplishing that lengthy endeavor.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:20 PM   #762

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Well my next two articles will be the opposite of cloaking and actually make the trailer stand out and be more recoverable if stolen.

I promise in the new year I will do a complete write up on our daughters “Trolley Top Square Drop” named “Dolly”. She and my granddaughter used it many times last summer and loved it.
Attached Thumbnails
F4B145D7-65D3-462D-BF1B-97198DDED6EE.jpg   35BC65CD-63A7-4F01-9674-BB137F2E549B.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:35 PM   #763

And another job, well done!

Looks slick, and I know it is well done and supremely functional.
Bravo, maestro, once again, and thanks for the update.
Interior images and details would be of interest, when you have an opportunity.

Next request is......what's up next?
Old 12-03-2022, 07:42 PM   #764

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Post #759 linked a connector with 7 round pins, which is the style used on commercial truck and trailer rigs. They have a very different pin assignment (following the SAE J560 standard), and while you can just make up your own configuration (it has enough pins; just make sure that you use the larger pin for negative/ground), none of them are intended for the relatively high current of electric brakes, battery charging, or carrying the negative ("ground") side of the total of all of the other circuits in an RV setup. In a commercial truck, these connectors carry only external lighting power (which can be significant due to the large number of lamps).

I would have a careful look at the terminal sizes and the size of wire that those terminals accommodate before using that style of connector.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:54 AM   #765

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thank you, Brian....
Old 12-21-2022, 11:47 AM   #766

X marks the Eggscape

The Short Story: I marked a big X on top of our trailer so it can be located easier if stolen.

The Details: When your trailer is stolen, what chance does your local police have to identify it from the air from the thousands of other trailers out there. Where we live there is a police helicopter allocated to our area and it just so happens I know a pilot that flys for a helicopter service in the area as well. Between him, his flying buddies and the police, there would be a good chance they could pick it out parked hidden behind a building or in a private lot from the air with the aid of my roof top identifier. Hence, X marks the Eggscape. It will be a win-win for the authorities being able to get a warrant for stolen goods in the area of my trailer that they may not have had justification to go.

Using tape or a decal, you too can add your own roof top identification. I used 2.8 inch wide black Gorilla tape for my big X. I selected an X because it looks the same from all angles and was easy to make. My Eggscape X is shared with the one I placed on my daughter’s new trailer as well.

I would expect that the rare few of you that might want to do this will select a different roof top identifier. Feel free to post in this thread what you selected as your choice.

My biggest question in the modification was to wax or not to wax before I installed it. I did end up waxing the roof and after all summer it is as good as new. If nothing else it will be a great test of Gorilla tape. At the end I have included what they say about their product.

Tiz the time of year…Merry X mas to all.

Model # 106425 Store SKU # 1000779851

“Gorilla Tape is 3X stronger* for a hold that lasts. Made with double-thick adhesive, strong reinforced backing, and a tough all-weather shell, this duct tape is great for projects and repairs both indoors and out. Gorilla Tough & Wide sticks to smooth, rough and uneven surfaces, including wood, stone, stucco, brick, metal and vinyl. At nearly 3" Gorilla Tough & Wide covers more surface area while still creating a strong bond.”
Attached Thumbnails
75BADC0B-AA71-4BD6-8157-0B854738BC9B.jpg   C123EAB8-7B77-4955-A650-CF66D65A3FA2.jpg   DDB54C2E-CCCC-4C15-BC9A-B5CC10AE7D54.jpg  

Old 12-22-2022, 07:43 AM   #767

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Good idea! Hope you never have to test it out! Based on my experience from taping a leaky sunroof on my old truck, you'll probably need to replace the tape annually if the trailer sits outside. Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #768

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21 C
The You tube channel Project Farm had a review on various duct tape brands

At the 14:00 point on the video he shows the results for wear after exposure for about a year for the various brands. Pick your brand carefully for marking the top of your Escape trailer. The tape Eggscape used scored fairly good on that test.
wr9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 03:39 PM   #769
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Put a big X down each side, and no thief will want the trailer!
Old 12-22-2022, 03:50 PM   #770

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Put a big X down each side, and no thief will want the trailer!
Old 12-22-2022, 04:53 PM   #771

Worth researching

My experience with many "duct tapes" are they don't hold up long term to the elements. One year use is reasonable. I imagine there is something made just for this exposure application. Searching briefly, i came across this tape. Probably a bit better than others with it's thicker structure.

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Tape-Wat...=outdoor%2Btap

The reflective red/white tape used by many on bumpers may be a pretty good adjunct as it's pretty durable.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:54 PM   #772

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Landing pad for a drone?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #773

If anyone thinks that tape is not suitable there are plenty of pre made decals that could be used or designed for the roof as well.

I did at one time consider the aluminum style duct tape that I have have good success with on different projects but I did not think the contrast was enough.

I have plenty of tape left to over to replace the X with the main concern to be the shelf life of the product.

Luckily our trailer is undercover when stored and we like to park in the shade when camping…the reason for no roof top solar. Our daughters trailer is kept in the garage when not in use.

I will do an Xmas update in following years on the durability of the tape I used.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:59 AM   #774

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
If anyone thinks that tape is not suitable there are plenty of pre made decals that could be used or designed for the roof as well.

I did at one time consider the aluminum style duct tape that I have have good success with on different projects but I did not think the contrast was enough.

I have plenty of tape left to over to replace the X with the main concern to be the shelf life of the product.

Luckily our trailer is undercover when stored and we like to park in the shade when camping…the reason for no roof top solar. Our daughters trailer is kept in the garage when not in use.

I will do an Xmas update in following years on the durability of the tape I used.
I will be interested to see how your tape holds up.

I used to run a sign shop at the local ski area many years ago. 3M makes that red and white reflective tape you see on tractor trailer bumpers. I think it has a 10 year lifespan. Good quality vinyl tape from 3M or a similar manufacturer can also last 10 years or more. Look at decals on cars driving around that are 20 or more years old. I don't know about duct tape but the vinyl products stick best to raw paint and gelcoat. So if you are going to use vinyl make sure you strip the substrate clean of wax and other contaminants.

Great idea BTW!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 11:17 AM   #775

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Given the widespread use of aerial freeway surveillance etc. seems like a good idea and very low cost.

Not sure what my wife would say to the idea though.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Given the widespread use of aerial freeway surveillance etc. seems like a good idea and very low cost.

Not sure what my wife would say to the idea though.

Ron
So don't mention this safety and theft protection deterrent to her. Does she clean or wax the roof often? If not, you're in.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #777

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Personally, I think that it is pretty unlikely that anybody flying by in a plane or helicopter are going to be paying attention or even looking for a little mark on the roof of an rv. You would be better off putting a gps or even cell beacon in or on your trailer and looking for it yourself.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:41 PM   #778

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Personally, I think that it is pretty unlikely that anybody flying by in a plane or helicopter are going to be paying attention or even looking for a little mark on the roof of an rv. You would be better off putting a gps or even cell beacon in or on your trailer and looking for it yourself.
Here in the STL we had a lady do just that with her car that was stolen. She tracked it, went to recover it from the three zombies in it and after a shootout two zombies dead, one shot in the head. Now she’s up on charges.
Oh and letting the police handle it isn’t how things work for stolen cars in this area.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #779

The report

Do you have a link of the report to this incident?
Old 12-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #780

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Do you have a link of the report to this incident?
Not sure if you mean me, but if so I just saw it on associated press. This type of thing happens so often here all it gets is a glance.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote