Vevor portable 37qt 12v fridge - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2023, 09:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Vevor portable 37qt 12v fridge

We are planning a 3 -4 week trip in ET19 in a couple months, but since my fridge is the unpredictable, infamous Dometic rm8551 I am giving great thought to replacing my back-up ice chest with the Vevor portable 37qt 12v fridge. Will fit and plug in nicely under the front dinette. Looks great. Anyone have experience with this unit?
Old 04-09-2023, 04:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Following!!!

I have a refrigerator from the same Dometic product line. Mine is a risk of failing at any moment, and it has done so in the past. So far, I have nursed it back. Its days maybe numbered.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
When we were betweeen RV fridges, we picked up a dual zone Dometic, ummm. CFX3 75DZ (75 liters). Worked great, used the smaller side as a freezer set for 0F, and the larger side as a fridge, set to 37F. I put it in the back of my pickup, and ran a 10/2 from the diesel truck's dual batteries to the back of the bed, with a PowerPole PP45 connector, and put a PP45 on the DC wire for the Dometic instead of the cigar plug (ok, I put the cigar plug on a PP30 too, so I could use it on a cigar plug in a pinch). when we were camping a couple days, I put my 100W solar suitcase panel on the truck batteries and that kept things happy.

since we replaced our Escape's RMD8555 with a Norcold N2175 6.2 cu ft. compressor fridge, the Dometic CFX3 has been doing duty as a 'beer box' at home (it can run on AC or DC).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:22 AM   #4

My new Vevor 37QT portable refrigerator ($217.99) has arrived - immediately unpacked and installed in my trailer. Unit plugs right into the (otherwise never used) cigarette lighter outlet. It is 14 inches tall - to make it fit under there had to adjust height of the original dinette table/sleeping platform up a tad.

Question now is if my 100W lithium battery, served only by on the roof 190 watt solar panel, will survive the night. At noon the battery reads 13.2 watts.

Set the fridge to 31 degrees. In half an hour temp inside fridge drops to 31⁰. At 6pm the lithium now reading 12.6 watts. When it dropped to 12.2 for the night I then raised fridge temp to 41⁰. At 0930 this morning fridge is holding fast at 41⁰ and battery reading is 12.4w. It is a very sunny day.
Attached Thumbnails
Vevor-fridge.jpg  
Old 04-14-2023, 05:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The amperage draw, duty cycle and need
to refrigerate to a particular level (say 36 degrees F) considering the ambient temperature are the three main factors to consider on buying these refrigerators.
Insulation, staying in the shade, loading with already cold food or drinks, organization to keep the lid open a minimum amount of time when accessing contents are things you can control that will help insure success. Good luck with your unit. We have an Engel that works well to supplement the 8555 Dometic. Which will do about an ambient drop of roughly 40
Degrees. Ok for spring and fall camping but not so hot (no pun intended), in Fort Hays, Kansas at 106F.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-14-2023, 05:57 PM   #6

Yes Dave, our great 48 qt Engel has also served us well. But its gotten too heavy for me to deal with, and it is 18.6 inches high. Needed something that works passively I could keep inside the trailer out of the way - pull out easily when I needed my meds, or a beer.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 E19
Once it's cooled, it shouldn't use quite as much power to maintain temp. It would be really interesting to know how much it consumes per day; not sure if this has one of the really efficient compressors (such as Danfoss/Secop). I see it comes with an AC adapter. If you happened to have a Kill A Watt meter, it would be easy to find out.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Yes Dave, our great 48 qt Engel has also served us well. But its gotten too heavy for me to deal with, and it is 18.6 inches high. Needed something that works passively I could keep inside the trailer out of the way - pull out easily when I needed my meds, or a beer.
I’m still able to handle that unit of ours. I stay on a regimen of doing 12 ounce curls. It is heavy though. The Engel site shows all the specs on each unit and that allows a pretty accurate accounting for power consumption. Maybe that new one of yours has something like that too.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-17-2023, 12:40 PM   #9
Site Team

my norcold dc fridge, 6.2 cubic feet is about 185 quarts, uses about 400 WH/day keeping the fridge part at 37F, and the freezer at 0F (edit, typo said 0c, doy!)
Old 04-26-2023, 11:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
We are planning a 3 -4 week trip in ET19 in a couple months, but since my fridge is the unpredictable, infamous Dometic rm8551 I am giving great thought to replacing my back-up ice chest with the Vevor portable 37qt 12v fridge. Will fit and plug in nicely under the front dinette. Looks great. Anyone have experience with this unit?
https://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Scambo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 12:20 PM   #11
Site Team

When our RMD8555 was dead, we used a Dometic CFX3 75DZ (dual zone 75 quart), and kept it in the back of the truck, wired to the truck's dual diesel batteries, which I would plug a 100W solar panel into if we were in one place for more than a day or two. I ran a 10/2 marine grade cable from the truck batteries (with suitable fuse) to a PP45 connector in the back of the truck bed (truck has a shell/cover). This worked very nicely for us. Running it as 50% fridge (36F) and 50% freezer (0F), it draws about 220 watt*hours per 24 hours. Thats about 18 AH at 12VDC.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
my norcold dc fridge, 6.2 cubic feet is about 185 quarts, uses about 400 WH/day keeping the fridge part at 37F, and the freezer at 0C
I bet you keep it at 0F!

Also having the dreaded RMD8555, we purchased a CFX3, 45 (?) size, single zone. And I ran some appropriate wires to the back of the truck bed into a combination outlet - usb, 12 lighter socket, volt meter. Keeps my ice cream rock solid in all weather.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:08 PM   #13
Site Team

yeah, hah, 0F. -18C.
Old 04-27-2023, 10:12 AM   #14

Unlike other parts of the country, beautiful weather here in NM. Since it’s been a few years now of no trips, before we hit the dusty trails a careful inspection of all trailer systems is in order.

After running new portable fridge on solar panel for a week on DC, Vevor is doing fine. 9:30 this morning Vevor is 40 degrees, and Battleborn is fully charged. Victron MPPT 100/30 solar charge controller doing a great job. Ice cream, beer, meds, will all be safe. So I switched my attention to inspecting the propane system.

Both tanks were filled the previous week. Dometic RM8551 now fired up, on propane, 3 dots. Next day check, and temp inside fridge not cold, and red light blinking away. Turn on the stove top. No gas. Close inspection of the range - nothing wrong. Crawl under trailer - no leaks or breaks at fittings. I can’t believe it, but have to blame the 3 year old Enerco regulator. Go on line - Amazon is selling a 2-way for a measley $21+ tax. Jumped on that. It came fast. All installed. Stove top now functional, and Dometic now cold.
But how come that regulator failed? Just ain’t right. A closer look and –then I notice somehow a front rubber lid that screws into the regulator is missing, out and gone, so no seal. What? “There’s your problem!” Have no idea how this could happen.

Soon as I’m sure of no freezing temps at night will be filling water tanks, testing the plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails
regxx.jpg  
Old 04-27-2023, 08:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 E19
I try to keep my fridge at about 277 degrees. (Kelvin)