bottle jack... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2023, 07:25 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Back when I did a lot of dirt biking and 4-wheeling crazy stuff, these were the cats meow

https://hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/all-cast/

Still have mine in the corner of the garage.

Has anyone ever considered one of the exhaust bag jacks that are popular?

https://www.amazon.com/Flieeya-Exhau...30753589&psc=1
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 01:11 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Back when I did a lot of dirt biking and 4-wheeling crazy stuff, these were the cats meow

Those are still standard equipment for rock crawlers etc.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 09:47 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’m in the snowy range this week in Wyoming. I’ve seen about ten handy man jacks on Jeeps and pickups set up for back country off roading. That’s more than I’ll see in iowa in A year. We used to use them in Idaho when I worked out there years ago.
Iowa Dave we
Old 08-26-2023, 02:43 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
I grew up calling them handy man jacks too. Was that a brand name you think? Most people call them Hi lift jacks which seems to be the most popular make.

If you have a Jeep it seems that you have to have one, but lots of them don't have the appropriate bumpers or side rock bars to get the full use of one. You can also use one as a winch if you have a chain.

They are pretty handy but they are dangerous if you are not careful.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 02:56 PM   #25
Site Team

HiLift are, I believe, the original. Their website says ...
The Hi-Lift's predecessor was invented in 1905 and sold as the Automatic Combination Tool. The original jack was commonly known as the Handyman or Sheepherder's Jack, and years later it was renamed the Hi-Lift Jack.
The company was founded in 1895 and is still owned by the 5th generation of the same family.
Old 08-26-2023, 03:38 PM   #26

Jacks

If your sheepherders wagon gets bogged down and you need to lift it up and
Get some rocks or some wood under the wheels the handyman is the rig for you. That or a come a long. Here’s a nice sheep herders wagon I looked at yesterday.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
2011C7D8-E1A1-43EB-B3AF-382729A29498.jpg   7A948277-84EA-4AD6-86CA-98869E75428Da.jpg   2B3B55C8-86E0-4515-A330-6EB9F9722E89ajpg.jpg  
Old 08-26-2023, 03:39 PM   #27
Site Team

They are highly versatile. Not only did it get used to unstick my Nissan 4X4 Kingcab a few times, but also used it to stretch fence, pull out wood posts and T-posts, lift up an out-building to put poles under it to "roll" it to another location, etc. Mine is cast, a lot of the ones I see mounted to shiny Jeeps and 4Runners are stamped steel.
Old 08-26-2023, 03:52 PM   #28

We backed up to a tree stump and exposed roots chained the handyman off to the Power Wagon to put the stump. A few jacks on the handle and the stump pulled loose. I did not stick around to count them but I’d guess there were north of 10,000 German yellow jackets under the stump.
My coworker was a Michigan state student. He ran uphill up the road. I ran downhill and didn’t get stung. He got stung multiple times. This ended our work day as I had to drive him back to the ranger station. I filled out the report including the conclusion and prevention.
“Always run down hill and don’t go to Michigan State.” The ranger was an Illinois grad and accepted the report with a laugh and no changes.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-26-2023, 03:52 PM   #29
Site Team

hilift makes both all cast, and partly cast partly stamped jacks, its a price thing.

an all cast 48" is $128 MSRP
a stamped/cast 48" is about $10 cheaper. Both have the same ratings.
Old 08-26-2023, 04:31 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
“Always run down hill and don’t go to Michigan State.” The ranger was an Illinois grad and accepted the report with a laugh and no changes.
Iowa Dave
So wouldn't the same rules apply as if you were being chased by a bear? You just have to outrun the slowest person whether uphill or downhill?
Old 08-26-2023, 05:37 PM   #31

Hmmm

Quote:
So wouldn't the same rules apply as if you were being chased by a bear? You just have to outrun the slowest person whether uphill or downhill?
The standard joke that I’ve heard is the one where the fisherman hires a guide to take him out in Kodiak bear country. As they start to fish the fisherman notices a pistol on the guide’s hip.
He asks the guide about the pistol. “What caliber is that pistol?”
Guide says, “.22 caliber”
Fisherman says, “that’s way too small for Kodiak bears!”
Guide says, “oh I’m not going to shoot the bear, I’m going to shoot you in the knee, then I’m going to run away.”
Love those dramatic conclusion jokes.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-26-2023, 06:06 PM   #32
Site Team

A wilderness newbie arrives in Alaska to go fishing. His first stop is a gun shop. He walks up to the counter and exclaims "I need a 357 Magnum to protect me from grizzly bears!"
The gun shop owner rolls his eyes and asks, "Would you like me to remove the barrel sight for you?"
"Why would you remove the sight?" the newbie asks.
"So when the bear shoves it up your *** it doesn't hurt so much." The shop owner replies.
Old 08-27-2023, 06:39 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I've had the same red 48" "farm jack" since I bought my first pickup 45 yrs ago. That '67 Chevy C10 didn't come to me with a jack.

That jack has also pulled and lifted all manner of things that needed pulled or lifted. It even still has the top clamp.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:16 AM   #34

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
A wilderness newbie arrives in Alaska to go fishing. His first stop is a gun shop. He walks up to the counter and exclaims "I need a 357 Magnum to protect me from grizzly bears!"
The gun shop owner rolls his eyes and asks, "Would you like me to remove the barrel sight for you?"
"Why would you remove the sight?" the newbie asks.
"So when the bear shoves it up your *** it doesn't hurt so much." The shop owner replies.
As all gun related issues most “experts” disagree on about everything. I have the spray and have tried looking into what works best, besides carrying a harpoon 357 seems to be the most practical. What I’ve learned more important than caliber, if it’s not comfortable to carry you will end up not having it on you.
The story from a couple of months ago about the guy killed in Arizona by a black bear while having his morning coffee was an eye opener for me, I had just left the area.
Anything is better than throwing rocks or playing bear whisperer.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 09:38 AM   #35

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:

Every farmer I know has a handyman jack in a truck ready to go where needed. They don't leak because there are no gaskets/o-rings/seals to go bad.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-27-2023, 12:34 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Every farmer I know has a handyman jack in a truck ready to go where needed. They don't leak because there are no gaskets/o-rings/seals to go bad.
they also provide WAY more lift range than most anything else, plus are so versatile, you can even use them as a winch in a pinch.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:48 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
But...they do have the nickname "widow maker"...

Although I have had a Hi-Lift hanging off the bumper of my LandCruiser for the past 17+ years and have used it more times for changing flats, etc., than I can count, including more than a few in some very precarious places, they do, just like any/all related vehicle jacks, require respect, knowledge and lubrication to keep them in safe & good working order.

But I do carry one of the Toyota mechanical "bottle" jacks for use too. And, in a pinch, it can serve as a impromptu jack-stand when we're miles away for anywhere and need one (often used in conjunction with the aforementioned Hi-Lift). I've had more than a couple hydraulic bottle jacks leak down, etc., enough to not place too much trust in one.
Old 08-30-2023, 12:43 AM   #38

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
years and years ago, I remember seeing bottle jacks that had like 2 nested piston sleeves so whatever their base height was, they could extend to nearly 3X that instead of not quite 2X. Poking around Harbor Freight and a few other such places, I haven't seen any such.
Use Google and search for "2 stage bottle jack". There are plenty of bottle jacks like you described.
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:05 AM   #39

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
just like any/all related vehicle jacks, require respect, knowledge and lubrication to keep them in safe & good working order.
No one I know lubes their Handy Man, because the people I know carry them outside where there is plenty of dust to attach and muck them up.

Over the years I bent a couple, but they were replaced. A bent Handy Man can quickly become a "Widow Maker".

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 08-31-2023, 02:53 PM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Can anyone explain how they lift the frame of their trailer near the axle(s) with a "handyman" or Hi-Lift jack? The tongue or bumper, sure, but the jack doesn't fit under the trailer and can't reach the frame from beside the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote