Carlisle Tire Delamination - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2021, 06:11 PM   #1

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
Carlisle Tire Delamination

I'm hoping someone here can help with this mystery. Bought a 2016 21C in great shape with original tires that still looked perfect, lots of tread and from the sounds of usage probably well under 5K miles on them. Minimal to no sidewall checking.

Just had the second one delaminate; this one at 57mph, 74 degrees, inflated to 50 psi and looked perfect. I will attach a couple pix in hopes someone can come up with a reason. Didn't hit anything and can't come up with any reason they should have come apart.

I've ordered 4 new tires but am still interested in a post mortem and anything I can learn from this.
Attached Thumbnails
20210513_170022[1].jpg   20210513_170031[1].jpg   20210513_170018[1].jpg  
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
What was the Born on Date for the tires?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What was the Born on Date for the tires?
learned something already from google, 2115 so i think that means early julyish 2015.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
While you're at it, you need to replace the info in your profile/avatar. ( what is that called? ).
Old 05-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semievolved View Post
learned something already from google, 2115 so i think that means early julyish 2015.
21st week of 2015. The tires are six years old. I see you're in New Mexico. Do you know the speed and heat the tires traveled? Were they covered during storage? I have nothing further other than, tires are cheap insurance and they were something my Dad told me I should replace anytime I bought a used vehicle because I didn't know the tires 'history.' Good luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Who knows?

Manufacturing fault, 6 years of age, ozone and sun, some unknown incident. I'm tired, but not a tire guy....so it could be any number of things.

I've had good luck with Carlisle tires on a sailboat trailer; they're on my Escape now. I once bought some off brand tires for das boat and they went South much quicker than the Carlisle's. Who knows what's up with your issue?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:13 PM   #7

I guess I've just been lucky all these years because these are the first unexplained delams I've had and I've definitely got plenty older tires baked to perfection in the SW high altitude sun. Trailer was from S. Cali and was claimed to be covered but, really, who knows? As I mentioned, checking is none to minimal. Anyway, happy to have new Range D tires on the way. I didn't know if there was a way to inspect the tire and get some clues about what happened. Out of my league for sure.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #8
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
So I am also in NM. Do you cover your tires when the trailer is not used, or is the trailer stored indoors? BTW - I called Carlisle last year, and their technical staff told me that 6 years is max lifetime for their tires, regardless of wear.

2 cents
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:07 PM   #9

I'm thinking I should replace that 12-year-old Marathon spare tire, even if it's spent its life under a cedar tree in B.C.'s rain forest.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
So I am also in NM. Do you cover your tires when the trailer is not used, or is the trailer stored indoors? BTW - I called Carlisle last year, and their technical staff told me that 6 years is max lifetime for their tires, regardless of wear.

2 cents
Thanks, this is good information, I guess the Carlisles did all they were intended for. I'm very careful with the RV and a boat trailer tires, keeping the weight off them in storage and covered and out of sun. The utility trailers not so much. I have not had good luck with Carlisles over the years either on RV or utility trailers. I've replaced with Kenda Loadstar and those have been terrific, super even wearing, last forever, and so far at least, never a tire failure even on 10+ year tires.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:43 PM   #11

I'm feeling incredibly lucky because we just drove this trailer 1000 miles back from California, mostly on I-40 going 60-65 (to try to stay out of the semis way as much as possible). One tire went right at the end of the drive, a couple miles from home, now this one, both in good places to handle and replace. Could have been much different story.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2022 E19
LT vs. ST tires..............

Should I mention the LT vs. ST tire napalm topic?
(usually not an item on lighter (like Escape) trailers)

Guess I just did..............

Or, steel belted vs. bias ply?

Never ending "discussion" on "another" travel trailer forum, of the aluminum kind....been there, done that. LT wins on a heavier trailer.

7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:47 PM   #13
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
tire replacement

Quote:
I'm feeling incredibly lucky because we just drove this trailer 1000 miles back from California, mostly on I-40 going 60-65 (to try to stay out of the semis way as much as possible). One tire went right at the end of the drive, a couple miles from home, now this one, both in good places to handle and replace. Could have been much different story.
Glad you made it hope safely.

What tire brand did you buy?
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:01 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: Semievolved... Take a look at Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. Made in the USA. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:43 AM   #15

I got these tires:

https://recstuff.com/tires/15-traile...tire-freestar/

No reviews at this site but great reviews on the M-108 and this is supposed to be a heavier duty, longer lasting tire.

I've had great luck with Recstuff for several previous sets. Would have preferred to get the Kenda Loadstars again but they won't have those for a month and we have trips planned before that. I got alloy wheels also so they'll come mounted and balanced with metal stems. A quick $800 ouch but I am not driving on those Carlisles at all anymore.

I haven't followed the LT vs ST discussion, I guess I better go read up. Would have researched more but kind of in a time crunch since we are trying to take off in a week.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Should I mention the LT vs. ST tire napalm topic?
(usually not an item on lighter (like Escape) trailers)

Guess I just did..............

Or, steel belted vs. bias ply?

Never ending "discussion" on "another" travel trailer forum, of the aluminum kind....been there, done that. LT wins on a heavier trailer.

Funny you brought up the bias ply issue. My complaint with previous Carlisle radials is that they wore like the old bias tires did, in spite of keeping things aligned and pressured correctly, they did not tend to wear evenly. I was relieved when I replaced them with Kendas and got the nice even wear I have been spoiled by with radials over the past decades. I don't miss the old bias ply tires at all although I believe they resist sidewall cuts better.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #17

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
As with what others have mentioned.....it’s a combo of things that make a tire’s life shorter. We had a RV with perfect tires, no wear, covered etc. Before we drove cross country we had new tires mounted. Remember, precious cargo is riding on those tires..why chance it? When in doubt, change them out...the date gives you an idea..but you have NO idea if they have been taken care of.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Sorry to hear about your Carlisle issues but glad you've found replacements.

We had replaced tires on our single axle 5.0 with the Endurance and was very happy with them. when we bought our new to us 2016 5.0TA which had been kept under cover I was surprised to find the Carlisles were made in 2014 so I replaced them with Endurance in 2019.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I'm hoping someone here can help with this mystery. Bought a 2016 21C in great shape with original tires that still looked perfect, lots of tread and from the sounds of usage probably well under 5K miles on them. Minimal to no sidewall checking.

Just had the second one delaminate; this one at 57mph, 74 degrees, inflated to 50 psi and looked perfect. I will attach a couple pix in hopes someone can come up with a reason. Didn't hit anything and can't come up with any reason they should have come apart.

I've ordered 4 new tires but am still interested in a post mortem and anything I can learn from this.
Hi: Semievolved... Had the bearings repacked and the brakes serviced in prep for a trip to NFLD in 2019. When my RVTech took the wheels off he said not on these tires. They looked perfect but one had a crack running around the tire in the tread that you couldn't see when on the trailer. That sent me to the tire shop and the request for a set of Endurance. The shop owner wouldn't believe me they were made in USA but I insisted he get them. Shy knees tires were $90. ea. Goodyear Endurance were $130. ea. Peace of mind was priceless!!! I do air them down to 47#'s to soften the ride some. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #20

I just ordered a Carlisle ST20575R15 to replace my 12 year old spare. Seven to ten days to come from Edmonton warehouse. Person I talked to at Kal Tire runs Carlisle on her trailer.
Forum seems to go through cycles of hate on any tire brand. Ran the original Marathons for eight years; no flats, no blowouts.

Tags
carlisle tires, delamination