Need your advice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2021, 07:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Need your advice

We are leaving for Sumas, WA on May 27th to pick up our Escape 5.0. Our plans have, however, hit a late snag and I need some advice in the matter:

Our tow vehicle is 2021 F150. Our plan has been to install rails and Andersen Ultimate for rails, mainly to save payload. With that, we have already purchased
  • The Andersen Ultimate hitch (#3200) - the box is still unopened
  • Safety chains (#3215) - already opened and the eye bolts shipped to Escape for coupler installation
  • Two hitch locks - unopened
The plan relied on the availability of the rail kit for 2021 F150. There are underbody changes in 2021 F150, so the older rail kits do not work. There is one rail kit on the market by Reese that claims to fit this vehicle, but I have seen report by someone who tried to use it and ran into serious problems. So, I'd not want to risk that.

I have been in touch with B&W throughout. Their original date for release of the gooseneck and rail kits was end of March, and then end of April. Now, they tell me that they will be releasing their gooseneck ball product next week, but there is no information on the rail kid. My contact said that she is trying to get that information for me but I am not positive how early that will be.

That's where the situation stands. Of course, I will wait to get the info from B&W (or another) on the rail kit next week before deciding. However, I need to prepare for the worst case. What I am contemplating is -
  • Buy the B&W turnover ball gooseneck product
  • Buy the Andersen Ultimate for gooseneck ball
  • Sell the Andersen Ultimate hitch on eBay or equivalent. It is unopened - and was bought at the old price. So, I should be able to sell it without further loss.
  • The components of the chains for the gooseneck ball version of Andersen Ultimate (part 3230) seem to be contained in the chains for the rail hitch (part 3215). So, I could just keep them and not use the few elements that are extra.
  • Not sure what I will do with the hitch locks. They are unopened and I might be able to sell them on eBay. But, the shipping cost and aggravation might not be worth it.
That's the plan change I have come up with. It might cost a bit more money but that's not a big concern - it is the hassle that I am dreading. I am not keen on the additional 50 lbs of payload that B&W turnover ball gooseneck adds over the rails, but our payload usage is low enough that we will still have room for at least 100 lbs (after losing the extra 50 lbs) gap below the listed payload.

The alternative is to push back the plans by a couple of weeks. But, the cost and hassle of doing that with all the various reservations etc. is higher in time and aggravation.

Any advice would be appreciated.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I feel your pain Kavm. Similar to what I have experienced.

You know your options so I think you are good there.

Here is my only advice. Don't force anything. If it is not ready, then let it slide for a bit. You already know that. Everything seems to be converging at the same point in time. I would just wait to get what you want.

You know your options, now feel your rhythm. If thing really don't work out, I'll come get you guys with my truck and we'll make a road trip out of it.

There is always a way. Take care!

p.s. I do feel your pain, but I also know what awaits you guys. It will be worth it! Stay cool!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I'm sorry to read that you're encountering this last-minute hiccup. Seems to me you've thoroughly explored and outlined the available options.

As I read U'Tim's comments I tend to agree .... Stay the course you've carefully mapped insofar as your equipment; relax and let your schedule be the flexible variable.

Yeah, there's a limit to that, but I'll keep my fingers crossed in hope that B&W will come back with better info on the rail kit that's that's timely, even if not exactly as timely as you might have hoped. Perhaps ETI's 1-month period of 'free storage' is as good as any arbitrary target for how long you could 'flex' your schedule (?).

It's good to have a contingency plan, and yours is viable IMO, but personally I'd not be too quick to implement this one - you've obviously made your carefully considered original equipment plans with many years of enjoyment in mind.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
That's an impressive offer, UncleTim. You're a top-tier guy!
Old 04-30-2021, 10:35 PM   #5

Thank you very very much for the advice! I will let it ride a bit - obviously wait to find out more from B&W but also reach out to Curt and other usual suspects. The reluctance to switch pickup dates is for two reasons:
  • The campground and ferry reservations seem like a bear. I have carefully reserved for most nights on our planned itinerary.
  • My work life is very packed, and the timing was carved out with some planning. Not the best time to be picking up anything but I have managed to align the stars in the chosen window.

Regardless - I will give it 10-days to 2 weeks to see what develops, before deciding. If B&W product is out - it might not take more than a week to 10 days to have that installed at a later stage.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Hey kavm,

I’m sorry you’ve encountered this additional stress in what has been a very carefully thought out purchasing process.

I understand the benefits of the rail hitch for weight and that would be my option as well. However there is an advantage of the turnover ball solution with an unencumbered truck bed when you’re not towing and you would now have a magnetic bit to attach your backup helper ( :-) ).

I also understand that your schedule isn’t real flexible.

I know you are very very thorough in your thinking but here’s some ideas anyway.
- have the trailer delivered to Salt Lake City. It means losing your holiday though.
- I seem to remember someone on the forum with a high recommendation for a Trademasters equivalent for hitch installation in WA somewhere. Might be worth reaching out to them to explore rail and/or ball options. Perhaps the bad Reese experience you report was an isolated case.
- I expect you could find someone (one of these wonderful Escape forum members) who could tow your trailer to the first stop which I think you said was a few nights to shake things out. That might give you a few extra days but with the stress factor in there.

One of my favorite movies is “Shakespeare in Love” and one of my favorite bits is this. I expect it will also apply to this situation.

Philip Henslowe: Mr. Fennyman, allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster.
Hugh Fennyman: So what do we do?
Philip Henslowe: Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well.
Hugh Fennyman: How?
Philip Henslowe: I don't know. It's a mystery.

Crossing fingers for you.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #7

Thanks Steve! I will indeed reach out to the local hitch installation places and seek their advice as well. If anyone has advice on the hitch installation places in WA, I’d be interested even though our plans have us reaching SE Washington (Spokane) and staying in Winthrop, WA to allow 2 hiking days in Northern Cascades over the weekend.

We are really looking forward to our plans for trip. Since camper will normally be parked some distance from us - we want to use the pick up trip to learn how to use and enjoy it in a variety of conditions. So, we are committed to picking it up ourselves, and if, possible, on our schedule.

As per the advice, we will actively try to identify other alternatives and make a call in 10-14 days about how to proceed. Hopefully something will emerge.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
My Uncle Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I feel your pain Kavm. Similar to what I have experienced.

You know your options so I think you are good there.

Here is my only advice. Don't force anything. If it is not ready, then let it slide for a bit. You already know that. Everything seems to be converging at the same point in time. I would just wait to get what you want.

You know your options, now feel your rhythm. If thing really don't work out, I'll come get you guys with my truck and we'll make a road trip out of it.

There is always a way. Take care!

p.s. I do feel your pain, but I also know what awaits you guys. It will be worth it! Stay cool!

Outstanding offer from Uncle Tim, this group stands together!
He too would be most valuable to guiding you through the initial familiarization maze. He experienced it about a year ago. He has used his beloved 5.0 a lot in the last year considering all the obstacle's that arose this past year. He has researched much in the way of additions or changes, just do not let him touch your awning.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Have you checked with Demco? I had a similar problem when I got my 2019 Ram, they were new and different and no one had a rail kit for a while. Demco was the first to come out with one, try their corporate site to inquire if they offer one yet.
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Have you checked with Demco? I had a similar problem when I got my 2019 Ram, they were new and different and no one had a rail kit for a while. Demco was the first to come out with one, try their corporate site to inquire if they offer one yet.
Very good thought! Thank you very much for bringing it up. I will call them on Monday.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
We are leaving for Sumas, WA on May 27th to pick up our Escape 5.0. Our plans have, however, hit a late snag and I need some advice in the matter:

Our tow vehicle is 2021 F150. Our plan has been to install rails and Andersen Ultimate for rails, mainly to save payload. With that, we have already purchased
  • The Andersen Ultimate hitch (#3200) - the box is still unopened
  • Safety chains (#3215) - already opened and the eye bolts shipped to Escape for coupler installation
  • Two hitch locks - unopened
The plan relied on the availability of the rail kit for 2021 F150. There are underbody changes in 2021 F150, so the older rail kits do not work. There is one rail kit on the market by Reese that claims to fit this vehicle, but I have seen report by someone who tried to use it and ran into serious problems. So, I'd not want to risk that.

I have been in touch with B&W throughout. Their original date for release of the gooseneck and rail kits was end of March, and then end of April. Now, they tell me that they will be releasing their gooseneck ball product next week, but there is no information on the rail kid. My contact said that she is trying to get that information for me but I am not positive how early that will be.

That's where the situation stands. Of course, I will wait to get the info from B&W (or another) on the rail kit next week before deciding. However, I need to prepare for the worst case. What I am contemplating is -
  • Buy the B&W turnover ball gooseneck product
  • Buy the Andersen Ultimate for gooseneck ball
  • Sell the Andersen Ultimate hitch on eBay or equivalent. It is unopened - and was bought at the old price. So, I should be able to sell it without further loss.
  • The components of the chains for the gooseneck ball version of Andersen Ultimate (part 3230) seem to be contained in the chains for the rail hitch (part 3215). So, I could just keep them and not use the few elements that are extra.
  • Not sure what I will do with the hitch locks. They are unopened and I might be able to sell them on eBay. But, the shipping cost and aggravation might not be worth it.
That's the plan change I have come up with. It might cost a bit more money but that's not a big concern - it is the hassle that I am dreading. I am not keen on the additional 50 lbs of payload that B&W turnover ball gooseneck adds over the rails, but our payload usage is low enough that we will still have room for at least 100 lbs (after losing the extra 50 lbs) gap below the listed payload.

The alternative is to push back the plans by a couple of weeks. But, the cost and hassle of doing that with all the various reservations etc. is higher in time and aggravation.

Any advice would be appreciated.
www.etrailer.com shows Reese and Demco custom rail install kits on their website....not sure what model you have but give them a try...I have had great luck with their products. It seems like they test everything they sell.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #12

Thank you! I plan to call Demco directly tomorrow morning to confirm….
Old 05-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #13

I spoke with Demco. They said that their rail kit is compatible with 2021 F150 Hybrid. The part numbers are -
  • 8552028 - Brackets
  • 6071 - Rails
I am going to speak with an installer next. The Demco person was not happy that I was not going to use their hitch and was using Andersen Ultimate instead. I gave him the only reason I have: 65 lbs.

Just a question - do I need to investigate whether Demco rails and Andersen Ultimate for rails are compatible, or is that just a standard thing...
Old 05-03-2021, 02:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 in June 21
I don't know how helpful this is, because I don't have the '21 hybrid, but on my '21 3.5 EB, Master Hitch installed Curt custom fifth wheel bracket kit #16442 and Curt carbide standard rail kit #16204. According to the Curt website it's supposed to fit all 21 models except the Police Responder. I don't have my trailer yet, so I'm hoping everything works out well. The place that I had do the installation has a stellar reputation, so I trust the work that they did.
ksfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #15

Thank you for that, ksfisk! Curt site does indeed say that these are compatible.

I have now contacted a local hitch installer - and she is looking into the options for me. I have provided both Demco and Curt part numbers to her. She told me that Demco part numbers are showing out-of-stock; may be the Curt parts are more available.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Thank you for that, ksfisk! I will look. I tried to look at Curt website but did not find it earlier.
Hmmm... well I thought their website indicated that it fit the 21, but I was wrong about that. I do know that is what master hitch in Palatine Illinois installed on my truck. Or at least, those are the numbers listed on the invoice for the work that they did.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfisk View Post
Hmmm... well I thought their website indicated that it fit the 21, but I was wrong about that. I do know that is what master hitch in Palatine Illinois installed on my truck. Or at least, those are the numbers listed on the invoice for the work that they did.
Sorry - I updated my post after looking at the Curt website just now. The website does indeed say that it is a fit. I passed the details on to the local installer I have contacted... Many thanks!
Old 05-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #18

I hope either the Demco or the Curt work for your application. Figuring out the hitch system requirements for my truck has been the most stressful part of my ordering process for me. �� After I had hitch master do the work though, I had a big sense of relief. I like what someone posted earlier about somehow it all works out in the end!
Old 05-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Just a question - do I need to investigate whether Demco rails and Andersen Ultimate for rails are compatible, or is that just a standard thing...
While there is no official standard, there is a very consistent industry practice, and as far as I know effectively all brands of these rails are interchangeable with all hitches intended to work with them. Some hitch manufacturers even call them "industry standard rails".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While there is no official standard, there is a very consistent industry practice, and as far as I know effectively all brands of these rails are interchangeable with all hitches intended to work with them. Some hitch manufacturers even call them "industry standard rails".
Thank you very much, Brian! I think both Demco and Curt might be alternatives that would work, and that might lead to a satisfactory resolution for me.