Need your advice - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #41

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
You are too generous!

PS: We did end up revisiting the backup camera decision. I found out that Ford limits the use of rear view cameras when vehicle is moving beyond a low speed, supposedly for safety reasons. I thought it'd be important to, perhaps the passenger, look at the rear view in high traffic situations. So, we added the ETI's camera back on. This was also motivated by our thinking that we'd need camera the most at the beginning when we are most inexperienced. So, to start off without camera seemed risky. If the Ford camera offers better functionality, we could just replace the ETI camera with the Ford camera later on.

I have posted the pics (though could not get the orientation right) in https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post382360
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 05:16 PM   #42

I am here to report a successful install of the pre-release B&W rails on our F150. I did not watch the install but it was done at a long-established, family owned shop (B&W dealer) specializing in hitches. So, I am sure they did a good job. It looks very solid and clean; I am not into crawling under the truck and even if I did - I would not know a good install from a bad one.

We are both relieved that this is no longer an open topic, given that we have a fixed delivery date from ETI (May 31) and leave for Sumas, WA next Thursday.

A couple of pictures are attached. We have figured out how the chain attachment needs to be installed on the rails and are going to finish that off shortly.

Thank you for all your kind help, advice and encouragement. It was very useful. I need to also thank B&W - who was fantastic in their dealing and communication with me. The rails, including the shipping, were complementary from B&W. I wasn't expecting that and made multiple offers to pay but they insisted. What an outstanding company!

Due to the generosity of B&W, the whole thing ended up being a rather cheap affair - and, more importantly, they went well above and beyond to make it possible within my timeframe.
Attached Thumbnails
C2.jpg   C1.jpg  
Old 05-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #43

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I am here to report a successful install of the pre-release B&W rails on our F150.
I've been watching out for your update, hoping things would be done satisfactorily and on time.

Congratulations!!! and I wish as very successful trip to Sumas, pickup, learning, exploring and trip home. What a relief for you.

All the best, and will be looking forward to further news on your adventures.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:45 PM   #44

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I am here to report a successful install of the pre-release B&W rails on our F150.
Congratulations, kavm, and kudos to B&W and your installer
Old 05-21-2021, 05:45 PM   #45

Thank you Steve! It is a tremendous relief. Also, the lengths B&W went to make it happen made it even more special!

After we got home, we had a bit of panic when we could not attach the chains to the rails. Then, I looked in the chain box and found these weird brackets. That solved the mystery... We attattached these with the pins on the back rail (closest to the tailgate - hope that is right) and were in business with chains.

Brian B-P had suggested getting a clovis hook for the chain for attaching and removing the chains easier. We got the right ones at the installer and they fit perfectly. So, we are all set with the hitch and chains!

I am sure the whole experience will be a combination of success, conundrum, panic and then, if we are lucky, elation at the solution!
Attached Thumbnails
C.jpg  
Old 05-21-2021, 06:54 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Congratulations, kavm, and kudos to B&W and your installer
Thank you to you as well for the encouragement!
Old 05-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #47

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
[I][U]The Ford Max Tow includes a 7-pin connector near the 2x2 receiver under the rear bumper (great for bumper-pull trailers). It's quite common and convenient to have a second 7-pin connector installed flush in the bed sidewall for '5th wheel towing', usually near / slightly to the rear of the wheel well on the driver's side.

That location will be within easy reach and convenient to the 7-pin cord hanging from near the pinbox on your 5.0 per 5th wheel industry practice. Some folks like 'em low near the floor of the bed, personally I like higher near the top rail so it's easier to reach standing next to the truck and the cord can drape over things placed in the bed (YMMV - purely personal choice).

There's plenty of kits to facilitate this without any wire cutting by inserting an OE-matching 'T-Tap" connector complete with the required harness and socket at the back of the Ford-provided socket (both sockets will be fully functional).

Your competent hitch installer will certainly be versed in this and offer recommendations, highly unlikely to be a 'glitch' even with your '21 powerboost.
We had our 7 pin connector installed centered over the drivers wheelwell. Perfect spot for when I hook up the brake cable since I'm situated in the same spot to install the plug. I use a small flat-fold step stool to clip the brake cable and plug in the 7 pin.

NO WAY do I want it to take up space on the floor where shifting gear can cause havoc!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-21-2021, 09:00 PM   #48

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 [August]
kavm
Good to hear that B&W treated you well. Looking forward to having the B&W Gooseneck Turnover ball hitch installed next week. I ordered it direct and it arrived last week for our 2021 F150. Guessing it's one of the first off the B&W production line. Hope it all goes as smoothly as your install. Still pondering my options for the 7/12 pin dual plug location and I may just wait until I pick up our 5.0 mid-August. I'm figuring the 5th wheel power cord will be long enough to reach the rear bumper 7-pin receptacle until a final decision can be made.
Safe travels.
gjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:39 PM   #49

Thank you very, Gary & Jodi! All the best with the dual plug install location. We are already overwhelmed with what we have, so will hold off on any modifications. The only focus now is to have a safe and enjoyable trip back from Sumas, WA.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:12 PM   #50

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsheldon View Post
I'm figuring the 5th wheel power cord will be long enough to reach the rear bumper 7-pin receptacle until a final decision can be made.
If not it wouldn’t hurt to have a 7-pin extension on hand. Cheap insurance if the alternative is you are stuck in the parking lot in Sumas and can’t tow your trailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...rt/C56080.html
Old 05-22-2021, 09:30 AM   #51

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If not it wouldn’t hurt to have a 7-pin extension on hand. Cheap insurance if the alternative is you are stuck in the parking lot in Sumas and can’t tow your trailer.
I think the cords from the 5TA are plenty long to reach the bumper mounted 7-pin. After a while the cord starts to rub the paint off the edge of the tailgate without the inbox extension.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #52

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 [August]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Wise words indeed! I will file away the link in the chance that I am unable to make a 7-pin receptacle decision prior to our trailer pickup. I am going to talk to our hitch installer next week who has 20 years of experience and get his thoughts and opinion. If there is a way to install the 7-pin receptacle in the power-box assembly which is new to the 2021 F150 I will likely take that route. I'm figuring that in the future there will be options to bring both the 7-pin and 12-pin receptacles into a bed hookup location. All the after-market manufacturers appear to be retooling to develop products for the new F150 configurations but that takes time (which is not in my favor at this point in time).
gjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote