DC to DC Charger ?s - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2023, 08:09 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Even with the smart DC-DC that breaks the TV to house battery circuit, I still unplug. Old habits are hard to break and I have trust issues as well.
Never had an issue with a Ford or Toyota truck, they disconnect the 7-blade when the truck is switched off.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:17 PM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Hi Centex, I'd be interested in Fords explanation regarding the behavior of the smart charging system if it isn't too big a deal to post. TIA
Attached for your reading enjoyment.

These sections from the Service Manual for 2022, should be the same for all Gen 14 F150 2021-current; previous years may differ.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:30 PM   #43
Site Team

awesome thanks for those docs, I have a 2019 ford with the 3.5 and that exact same electrical setup.

for those unfamiliar, LIN referenced in those docs is a specialized digital communications bus used to tell the alternator's voltage regulator what to do, and to monitor the state of the alternator.

This system is very similar to whats in my wife's 2016 Mercedes E350 wagon. On the MB, the goal is to minimize the engine drag from the alternator once the battery is reasonably close to a full charge, it does this by reducing the alternator output to just 12.7V or so so the alternator is supplying the vehicle loads without trying to push more current into the battery.

I haven't looked in the Ford yet, but on the Mercedes the battery monitor is a Hyundai device... this is almost exactly the same sort of function as the Victron SmartShunt many of us have added to our Escapes for battery monitoring.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:14 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
.... I haven't looked in the Ford yet, but on the Mercedes the battery monitor is a Hyundai device... this is almost exactly the same sort of function as the Victron SmartShunt many of us have added to our Escapes for battery monitoring.
This prompts mention that the same rules apply regarding connections of loads or vehicle charger inputs to the ground side of the 'shunt' (BMS) vs the negative vehicle battery terminal.

Never connect a load (e.g. DC-DC trailer battery charger) or vehicle battery charger (e.g. battery-tender) directly to the vehicle negative battery terminal. The 'shunt' (BMS) must always be between the loads / battery inputs and the battery negative terminal.

Bypassing the BMS with loads or charger inputs will totally foul-up your vehicle's "Smart" charging algorithms / strategies.

My 2022 F150, to illustrate:
Attached Thumbnails
F150 BMS.jpg  
Old 11-29-2023, 01:40 AM   #45
Site Team

yeah... our Mercedes has the battery buried in a cave, and a very easy to connect + and - jump terminal outside said cave.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:09 AM   #46
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Thanks Alan, appreciate both posts. Very informative.
SRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:31 AM   #47
SRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Bypassing the BMS with loads or charger inputs will totally foul-up your vehicle's "Smart" charging algorithms / strategies.

My 2022 F150, to illustrate:
I have had to charge my 2021 F-150's battery a couple of times because I don't drive too much this time of year-lots of parasitic drains with all the computer stuff. Based on your info, I did it incorrectly by attaching the negative to the the battery lug negative. So, I've probably messed up the charging algorithms Any idea how one would fix that?
Thanks Sherby
Old 11-29-2023, 10:33 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
I have had to charge my 2021 F-150's battery a couple of times because I don't drive too much this time of year-lots of parasitic drains with all the computer stuff. Based on your info, I did it incorrectly by attaching the negative to the the battery lug negative. So, I've probably messed up the charging algorithms Any idea how one would fix that?
Thanks Sherby
With the passage of time the system will figure out ('recalibrate') the correct battery SOC and all will be good. The fact that your truck 'sits undisturbed' for extended periods helps that 'recalibration' process which occurs during many-hours-long periods of 'deep sleep' when your vehicle is not disturbed at all (not even opening a door or approaching it with a key fob which 'wakes' various vehicle systems).

Sorry if I gave the impression that your (common) error is permanently fatal, it's not. Just don't keep repeating, in the future I suggest the 'best practice' of connecting the charger negative clip to a solid chassis ground rather than the negative battery terminal or the BMS stud.

The applicable section from the Service Manual is attached FYI, I've highlighted the preferred procedure in a red box.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BATTERY CHARGING.pdf (101.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-29-2023, 12:31 PM   #49
SRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
With the passage of time the system will figure out ('recalibrate') the correct battery SOC and all will be good. The fact that your truck 'sits undisturbed' for extended periods helps that 'recalibration' process which occurs during many-hours-long periods of 'deep sleep' when your vehicle is not disturbed at all (not even opening a door or approaching it with a key fob which 'wakes' various vehicle systems).

Sorry if I gave the impression that your (common) error is permanently fatal, it's not. Just don't keep repeating, in the future I suggest the 'best practice' of connecting the charger negative clip to a solid chassis ground rather than the negative battery terminal or the BMS stud.

The applicable section from the Service Manual is attached FYI, I've highlighted the preferred procedure in a red box.
Thanks again Alan, and not a problem. Online videos helped a lot to clarify my concern and question I asked. I've linked two of the videos below in case anyone else is interested, enjoy.