Dometic AC dissection for Noise reduction - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My 2016 E19 and 2019 E21 have the same a/c and thermostat

So what is the model designation for the AC's?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm sorry I was giving you a starting point. Escape can give you the model Dometic 11,000 btu. I'll have to go out to find my paperwork but I'm under the weather right now,
Old 07-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #23
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
So what is the model designation for the AC's?
Our 2019 21C came with a Dometic AC model # 640310CXX1C0 -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Our 2019 21C came with a Dometic AC model # 640310CXX1C0 -Bea

Thank you for your efforts.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 21
Pictures

Well I got the chance to take down the overhead and shoot a few pix.
I'll try to get up on the roof sometime tomorrow and get a few showing the rooftop unit.

I used a couple of different pieces. For most of the top side frame sections I used a foil backed heavy weight damper sheet. Just search Amazon for:::: Noico 80 mil 10 sqft car Sound deadening mat This is adhesive backed so just cut to size and apply.
I was trying to get the compressor vibs absorbed. It worked OK but I found a better solution that I'll explain with the top side pix.

For the interior I used the foil backed on the framing, and the rest of it is a lightweight sound absorbing sheet.::::::: 12 Pack Set Acoustic Absorption Panel, 12 X 12 X 0.4 Inches Grey Acoustic Soundproofing Insulation Panel This doesn't have a sticky back so I just used carpet tape.
This did a fairly good job of quieting the fan noise inside the trailer. It's not perfect, but It doesn't wake me up at night when the A/C kicks on like it used to. It also seems
low enough that it just becomes a background noise after a day or so.

There is still a rumble that is noticeable at both ends of the trailer when the compressor is running. Got a few ideas I'm going to try later to fix this.

This has done a great job on quieting the outside unit. It's almost unnoticeable if standing next to the trailer.

BTW I did something similar to my Honda generator and it seemed to work even better on it
Attached Thumbnails
Top!.jpg   Top2.jpg   Roof1.jpg   Roof4.jpg  
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
Thanks Rotorbudd.
Looking forward to hearing more.
We installed the Easy Start and that has helped a bit.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #27

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I did add a Micro Air Easy Start to my 2017 21's Dometic AC even though it has the Dometic idea of soft start (separate fan & compressor starts). I don't have an amp meter capable of reading start up current, but it definitely has gone down. No more loud thump or temporary voltage drop when the compressor starts. It starts fine on my 2200 watt Sportsman generator (a 276' above sea level) running on propane, although it also started before the Easy Start addition.
I spit out some coffee which fortunately missed my keyboard when I saw the price of a Micro-Air EasyStart 364 Soft Starter ASY-364-X20-IP. $299 smackers?

Also there is some grumbling about performance issues I.e: Cool down time can be up to 2x longer?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
It wouldn't matter - the A/C Casita forum is working on is the Coleman Mach 8 which has different fan blades than the Dometic. If you wish to see it - here are some links:
Mach 8 hush kits
Mach 8 Hush Kit – The Handy Camper

BTW, the Dometic is much quieter than the Mach 8 - the Mach 8 sounds like a jet engine taking off.
Come on Tom, fix this noisy ac
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Hi. I dimly remember, when this same question came up a few years ago, someone saying that we’re kinda stuck cause we’ve got a bunch of rotating parts in the AC turning on and off while basically floating on the surface of a big fiber glass drum (the roof). So unless you Really isolate all vibration, every buzz is going to be amplified a bunch. Make sense?

Made friends with ear plugs in the lower 48; it’s getting hotter by the year!
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:59 AM   #30

Trailer: looking to buy
Hi, We have a 2019 Escape 19. We noticed an old post of yours regarding quieting the ac unit. Our main concern is the vibrating hum caused by the compressor. Wondered if you found something to help with that problem. Thanks
dana mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:31 AM   #31

I was just up on the roof doing some fine tuning on the compressor isolation mounts. ( what a coincidence). This last experiment seems ti have gotten rid of the drumming I had when laying in the bed.
I'll take a few pix and post them this afternoon.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #32

Hi, Thanks and we are happy of the coincidence that you are presently working on this very issue. Any tips or direction would be greatly appreciated,
Old 05-25-2021, 12:39 PM   #33

Here's some pix of the rooftop unit.
The silver and gray pieces are for soundproofing. same as used on the interior.
The vibration asorbers are just stacked isolators made of softer silicone rubber that replaces the hard rubber. I just stacked them to the height shown. You will have to enlarge the hole in the original top rubber so the small tubular silicone rubber tube fits inside it.
One caution, make sure NOT to kink the copper lines to the compressor. Just lift it enough to remove and install the vibration asorbers.
The reason I was on the roof earlier today was to change out to softer absorbers. The ones I had on earlier still had some drumming. so I went to the next softer set. That got rid of the noise in the forward end.
BTW I also isolated the fan motor. Let me know if you're interested in that project.
Attached Thumbnails
iso.jpg   IMG_20210525_115039531.jpg   IMG_20210525_115429205_HDR.jpg   IMG_20210525_115131510.jpg   IMG_20210525_115217871.jpg  

Old 05-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
BTW I also isolated the fan motor. Let me know if you're interested in that project.
yes please, anything to quiet the jet engine.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #35

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Talking Noise/vibration

In my previous life I was a tooling engineer. When you create noise/vibration in a machining application. You have to start changing the tool, the set up, the machine type or the fixturing. This can be taken to any application where you have a problem with noise. Experimentation with various materials to change the frequency of the vibration. Is the goal. By changing the hard rubber to a softer material you will wind up changing the frequency of the vibration. you keep experimenting until you reach a level of noise/vibration you can live with. This is the short and sweet of a one hour class I used to give.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
yes please, anything to quiet the jet engine.
Adding soundproofing to the interior section of the A/C will get you the largest gain as far as fan noise goes. Just pull down the inner cover and start adding insulation like I showed in an earlier post.
Isolating the fan motor should be done second because it won't be noticed if you haven't already done the interior.
But I'll get some pix of the motor ASAP. It's just adding some silicone spacers under the mounts. Kind of hard to get to.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #37

Hi, Thanks again for the information. We’ll look into the Isolateit info and look for proper silicone stacked washers. We have not yet pulled the top off of the unit so the photos will make a lot more sense once we are more familiar with the construction of the ac.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:22 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I put similar sound proofing on the inside of the outside Maxfan shroud. It cut the ambient noise from the outside quite a bit when closed. Mainly needed at noisyRV parks,
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:46 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find as I age I have become hard of hearing, no noise reduction needed here..........
Old 05-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #40

Removed the ac cover this morning to compare our set up to the photos. So, if I understand you replaced the existing cushion washers with softer ones from Isolateit. I looked those up and found three levels of density 30,50,and 70 with 30 being the softest. So, I suppose softest might be quietest.

However the current cushion washers seem soft. These are approximately 1” tall and secured by a metal washer and cotter pin on top. No hard rubber anywhere I saw. Wondering if this system has been in use for a while or if this is a change Dometic has made in the last few years ( our trailer was completed 12/19) in order to try to quiet the compressor rumble. If these stock cushion washers are softer than those previously in use, swapping them out may have little effect. If rotobudds set up is as I have described on our ac I’ll give the washer replacement a try.

Hoping I don’t have to depend on long term hearing loss as the solution. Maybe we are just too sensitive to noise. A real possibility.