Dometic Fridge not cooling fast enough - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
While preparing for our second ever trip in our E21, I parked it in front of our house to make loading easier. I thought I would get a head start on cooling the refrigerator and freezer and put it on propane the night before we left. What I didn’t appreciate was how the strong “down bubble” (downward slope) of the road would impact the refrigerator operation. Basically, the ammonia vapour accumulated in the tilted coils and “air-locked” the system. It took about 30 hours to return to normal operation.
DFlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Everyone should have an interior fan to circulate the air around. If not 12v at least a battery fan...... really helps to balance the temperature.....
Old 06-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
How about Dyslexic OCD?
Could be COD. Naw, that’s what Mickey D uses to make lousy fish sandwiches.

The CDO statement I saw on a T-shirt in a shop in Halifax a couple of years ago. I should have bought it. I also passed up a shirt in Helen, Georgia that said “I have ADD. Attention deficit.....Hey look, a butterfly.” But the one I really should have bought had a campfire on the left and a stand of trees on the right above the words “Run Forest, run!”

That was cool, but unfortunately not the kind of cool in question here.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:32 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 21
Glad it is working!
We had issues with ours getting cold, I added water to the plastic cup in the outside compartment to keep heat from coming in through the p trap. During a trip condensation eventually collects there and there is no need to add water.
Also, we disconnected the thermistor from the metal in the refrigerator and let it dangle. Sometimes it got almost too cold. Needed to keep an eye on the wireless thermostat so the lettuce didn’t freeze.
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #45

Trailer: 2011 - 20' Coachman Apex
I have a Dometic DM2652 (6 cu. ft) fridge - (don't have an Escape, have an Coachman Apex), but it usually takes 6+ hrs to cool the fridge down from ambient outside temp (mid to high teens C) - doesn't seem to matter whether I use propane or A/C, takes about the same amount of time. I have an Acurite remote fridge & freezer temp gauge - works great.
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Refri...2449682&sr=8-1

As a side note I don't drive with propane on for safety reasons, but the fridge only goes up about 2 degrees C in a 5 - 7 hr. drive & that's stopping 1/2 way thru the trip for lunch break, in which the fridge is opened for a few minutes.

Having the propane fridge on travelling may be against the law in a lot of jurisdictions - e.g. in Alberta it's illegal to have an open flame while fueling at a gas station (you don't know when the fridge flame is on or off unless you have the propane turned off)

TurboFlex
TurboFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:45 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFlex View Post
Having the propane fridge on travelling may be against the law in a lot of jurisdictions - e.g. in Alberta it's illegal to have an open flame while fueling at a gas station (you don't know when the fridge flame is on or off unless you have the propane turned off)

TurboFlex

The problem with your statement is, it's not true, it MAY be against the law, but isn't in a lot of jurisdictions or any. Jim Bennett wrote to ministers of motor vehicles in all provinces across Canada and it was legal to drive with propane flame in all. You will be required to turn off propane while fuelling, on ferries and in some tunnels.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:26 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The problem with your statement is, it's not true, it MAY be against the law, but isn't in a lot of jurisdictions or any. Jim Bennett wrote to ministers of motor vehicles in all provinces across Canada and it was legal to drive with propane flame in all. You will be required to turn off propane while fuelling, on ferries and in some tunnels.

I concur; here's my background for that statement. Before I retired, I worked in a metropolitan fire dept. prevention bureau as an engineer. After we had ordered our new Escape, and while waiting the 10 months until it was completed, I spent many of my lunch times at work reading and studying the information on the Forum. The subject of propane on while towing kept coming up, with the whole variety of opinions as answers.
I had available to me, in the bookcases in my office, International, National, regional, and state standards, regulations, commentaries, textbooks, etc. (E.G. International Fire Code, National Fire Protection Association documents). My findings:
It is Not illegal to tow with your propane system on and refrigeration system flame lit and operational. The systems are designed for that.
There are restrictions based on hazards encountered, such as no open flame in the vicinity of flammable vapors, and turning off pressurized flammable fuel systems in confined spaces. So, for us, the common encounters are fueling stations (gasoline is a Class 1 flammable), ferries (flammables, confined spaces), and tunnels (confined spaces).
If you encounter other, similar situations, turn off the frig., or turn off your propane system at the tank. If local regulations say no, then turn it off.

Me: I tow with my propane-powered frig. all the time, because the 12V system never quite keeps up, and it's more efficient and cost-effective to generate heat directly with the gas flame than an electric element receiving power from a gasoline-driven alternator about 30 feet of copper wire away. Gas stops: it's easy to open the trailer door, and press the 'off' button on the frig. I just have to remember to press 'on' before hitting the highway.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #48

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Does any one know on these current Dometric refrigerators if the 12 volt power is cut off will the gas valve close? I know on my casita if i had the battery switch off the fridge would run on gas as long as my key was on. this was very handy if stopping for dinner as when I shut truck off fridge would go out. (7 pin charge line was only connected when key in on position) when i returned as soon as i started the truck it would relight.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #49

I think that is tow vehicle specific. My 7 pin is "alive" even when the ignition is off, others are not.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #50

Trailer: NA
Quote:
I think that is tow vehicle specific. My 7 pin is "alive" even when the ignition is off, others are not.
Older vehicles had 12vdc live at the cigarette lighter and 7 pin. However, with all the newer (this century) electronics these outputs are no longer live to keep the battery from being drained. I have an older (2006) Lincoln which has very little electronics and the output is live with the engine off and my newer Toyota the output dies when the key is off.
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:01 PM   #51

Well my 2014 Ram is of this century and it is still live with the ignition off.....
Old 06-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While less expensive versions appear & disappear on ebay, this is the type of fan is what I use in my refrigerator. Helps keep the temperature even throughout the lower section of the refrigerator.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #53

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
I just checked my 2017 Mercedes Benz Sprinter van and Pin 4 (Aux 12 volt charging) is hot even with the ignition off and key removed also.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While less expensive versions appear & disappear on ebay, this is the type of fan is what I use in my refrigerator. Helps keep the temperature even throughout the lower section of the refrigerator.
Jon,
I have something very similar purchased 6 years ago from a company called "The Fridge Fix" 2 fans and a nice blue led light. Hardwired to the refer 12v block in the rear and velcro to the bottom of the freezer compartment. I have transferred it now to my last 2 Escapes. when I called and asked for additional velcro I was told they no longer are making my product, but still had some velcro to send me. It really makes a big difference in cooling down.