Drawer and cabinet door locks?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-29-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Trailer: Escape-21 'on order'
Posts: 324
Exclamation Drawer and cabinet door locks??

Trying to tie up any loose ends, in case we are able to go pick up the 21 this spring/summer. Have heard some folks have problems w drawers, frig doors and/or cabinet doors 'popping open' while on the road. Did a search but didn't see much. Is this a real problem w new 21s or am I worrying needlessly??
__________________

Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 21,919
The drawers have a drop down lock and the cabinet fronts have catches installed. If loaded correctly, you should not have any issues. Now going off road, all bets are off.....
__________________

__________________
Jim
Due to the pandemic, my life now exists of only 3 days, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Everything else has been forgotten!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Trailer: Escape-21 'on order'
Posts: 324
Red face road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The drawers have a drop down lock and the cabinet fronts have catches installed. If loaded correctly, you should not have any issues. Now going off road, all bets are off.....
WE are not "off road" folks..just retired folks who love to go camping. I had plenty of off road camping ...as an Asst Scoutmaster 30 yrs ago.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,798
I have had a few problems. My silverware drawer fell out, breaking the drawer. A replacement from Escape was $20.00 + shipping. I changed the latch on the large closet to a better latch - I can't find the link, but it uses a ball & heavy adjustable spring. Harder to close, but it stays closed. Lastly, I keep my drip coffee maker & pots & pans under the sink. To prevent the double doors from opening, I added a child safety lock.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The drawers have a drop down lock and the cabinet fronts have catches installed. If loaded correctly, you should not have any issues. Now going off road, all bets are off.....
My 2017 21 does not use drop down locks on the drawers (my 2011 17B did). The new "locks" consist of two roller catches per drawer (same as used on the cabinet door latches), and straight drawer slides. They do not work as well as the drop down type & I'll be changing the drawers to the drop down type this summer.

While I do do some off road driving, the majority of opened cabinets & drawers have been on paved roads (bad paved roads).
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,650
FErd, bought these for the small top door above wardrobe. Works great, a little tricky installing- only needed one. https://www.amazon.com/JQK-Cabinet-C...%2C235&sr=8-77
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Door latch.jpg (69.5 KB, 32 views)
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
FErd, bought these for the small top door above wardrobe. Works great, a little tricky installing- only needed one. https://www.amazon.com/JQK-Cabinet-C...%2C235&sr=8-77
That is the one I used.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 21,919
Another issue is porpoising on paved roads, where you tow and trailer go up and down like the fish do in the waves. A weight distribution set up will help those type of roads to keep the tow and trailer fixed. I find switching lanes helps when I get those hiccup roads as I call them.....
__________________
Jim
Due to the pandemic, my life now exists of only 3 days, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Everything else has been forgotten!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 6,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
That is the one I used.

Me too.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
davidmurphy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Posts: 855
We have a large bin and a sliding drawer in our pantry that are usually pretty fully loaded with food items. Although the pantry door has a friction latch - two, in fact - on an early trip we had a mishap where it popped open and the entire contents of the pantry slid out onto the floor. I added a small sliding bolt latch on the outside of the pantry door that we keep latched for travel now and we have not had any further problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pantry 1.jpg (208.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Pantry latch 1.jpg (169.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Pantry Latch 2.jpg (181.1 KB, 31 views)
__________________
David, Mary, and 3 Cats
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #11
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 21,919
Lucky some of those bottles did not break! I try to pack all heavy items, including food, all down low, clothes, all up high. So far, that process has worked. Those Elfa type drawers also move too easily so I lock them in place behind the closed cabinet door.
__________________
Jim
Due to the pandemic, my life now exists of only 3 days, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Everything else has been forgotten!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
arniesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We have a large bin and a sliding drawer in our pantry that are usually pretty fully loaded with food items. Although the pantry door has a friction latch - two, in fact - on an early trip we had a mishap where it popped open and the entire contents of the pantry slid out onto the floor. I added a small sliding bolt latch on the outside of the pantry door that we keep latched for travel now and we have not had any further problems.
I also installed the Elfa rolling baskets from the Container Store, but went with a different solution. I installed the basket so the front edge was just inside the cabinet frame. This allows us to secure the basket with one of those Camco refrigerator compression retainers. When in camp, the retainer slips easily along side the basket out of the way. Super secure. See photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F7196EA0-766B-4D10-A8F0-165199D3BDC3.jpg (298.7 KB, 22 views)
__________________
- Arnie & Paula & Kizzy the rat terrier
https://www.arniesea.com
- 2019 5.0 TA, 2017 Tundra Platinum.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2011Chevy Colorado
Posts: 682
We have had problems in our 17. Your trailer will come with two roller catches whereas ours only has one per door. Should be fine. Also, I expect the 21 will ride smoother than the 17 as it has twice as much rubber on the road.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Trailer: Escape-21 'on order'
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We have a large bin and a sliding drawer in our pantry that are usually pretty fully loaded with food items. Although the pantry door has a friction latch - two, in fact - on an early trip we had a mishap where it popped open and the entire contents of the pantry slid out onto the floor. I added a small sliding bolt latch on the outside of the pantry door that we keep latched for travel now and we have not had any further problems.
I was thinking of something similar for the 2 larger pantry doors..something solid and closed w a hasp. Thanks.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: College Station, Texas
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I also installed the Elfa rolling baskets from the Container Store, but went with a different solution. I installed the basket so the front edge was just inside the cabinet frame. This allows us to secure the basket with one of those Camco refrigerator compression retainers. When in camp, the retainer slips easily along side the basket out of the way. Super secure. See photo.
The Camco compression retainers work even if you do not have baskets installed. Until we started using them, the contents on the shelves could slide against the door and push it open, allowing contents to then fall out on the floor. That never happens now that we use the spring retainers. We also use them in the medicine cabinet for the same purpose. Interestingly, we have found we do not need them in the refrigerator.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: near Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe
Posts: 60
I installed these on all of the doors and drawers of an other-than-Escape RV: Futaba push knob latch.

Not in lieu of the OE pulls and friction-catches which could be ineffective on the road, in addition to, using them only as 'travel latches' for absolutely affirmatively 'locked closed' doors and drawers when on the road. I'd 'punch 'em open' upon arrival at the campsite and leave 'em that way 'till departure. They did the job, didn't look 'tacked-on', were robust over time.

Just another option for consideration.
__________________
Prospective Escape E21 purchaser
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Lanark Camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
The Camco compression retainers work even if you do not have baskets installed. Until we started using them, the contents on the shelves could slide against the door and push it open, allowing contents to then fall out on the floor. That never happens now that we use the spring retainers. We also use them in the medicine cabinet for the same purpose. Interestingly, we have found we do not need them in the refrigerator.

We also use the Camco retainers and found they work well.

When we picked up the trailer Escape gave us a bag full of the spring loaded latches and screws they had used and I doubled them up on our cabinet doors.


Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #18
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 21,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I installed these on all of the doors and drawers of an other-than-Escape RV: Futaba push knob latch.

Not in lieu of the OE pulls and friction-catches which could be ineffective on the road, in addition to, using them only as 'travel latches' for absolutely affirmatively 'locked closed' doors and drawers when on the road. I'd 'punch 'em open' upon arrival at the campsite and leave 'em that way 'till departure. They did the job, didn't look 'tacked-on', were robust over time.

Just another option for consideration.
Do you have pictures of your install to post?
__________________
Jim
Due to the pandemic, my life now exists of only 3 days, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Everything else has been forgotten!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: near Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do you have pictures of your install to post?
No, sorry, that trailer long-gone and I'm without any pics of the interior.
__________________
Prospective Escape E21 purchaser
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:37 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 67
Drawers

We picked up our 5.0 the day before the border was closed. Traveled 2351 miles interstate. No opened drawers and no loose window knobs. They have changed the knobs and I assume the door latches too.
__________________

__________________
Sharon
Carmel Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×