Frameless Thermal Window Seals & Window Foam Pieces - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Frameless Thermal Window Seals & Window Foam Pieces

Good morning all...

When cleaning my windows I noticed some of the window seals look a little tired. There's no cracks or breaks, just a little worn. Rough feeling as opposed to smooth. I think the seals may be a silicone material based on the suppleness and their compression ability. I attempted to capture the condition in the pics.

Has anyone used any product to treat the seals? Is this something I just don't really need to think about?

Also, there are two foam pieces on the inside bottom of each window which have degraded and are flaking off. I think these are just a simple bumper like material if the windows are closed quickly. Thought I'd remove them. Any thoughts?

As always, thanks for your time and assistance!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6361.jpg   IMG_6362.jpg   IMG_6360.jpg  
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
You might find satisfaction in using this product (Honda Shin-Etsu silicon grease) or one of the similar competitors.

It's available from Amazon or many discount Honda online dealers. A very small amount goes a very long way - that tube is a 'lifetime' supply for most of us. I use the Honda Shin-Etsu and like it for the rubber and window-tracks on my vehicles, never thought of using it for similar on the RV but may have to do that now that you've raised the notion.

Just for your consideration.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
This is what I use on all my car and truck door seals. I am also using it on the frameless window seals in the trailer. Works great, this tube is about 25 years old. A little goes a long way.
Attached Thumbnails
20201112_100421.jpg  
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
This is what I use on all my car and truck door seals. I am also using it on the frameless window seals in the trailer. Works great, this tube is about 25 years old. A little goes a long way.
And they still make it...
www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7651351
Old 11-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I use 303 aerospace protectant spray on all the "rubberish" seals...windows and door, and on the graphics. I originally got it for my raft and kayaks...works really well. It says wipe on, wipe again a little while to remove all extra. Protects from sun damage/ deterioration as well. Read and follow directions about temperature for application, etc. I think some people use on tire sidewalls.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I use 303 aerospace protectant spray on all the "rubberish" seals...windows and door, and on the graphics. I originally got it for my raft and kayaks...works really well.
On my grand canyon boat, I have NRS 1117 Kodiak 28" tubes. They are highly prized and always under examination by senior captains.

I only use 303 on them after each trip and always after a through cleaning. Every time I drop them on the dusty floor of the boat ramp for a new trip, I always marvel at the suppleness and perfect condition of the hypalon, the very best fabric for white water.

Last time I checked, 303 was $27 for a spray bottle!!! And it is strange stuff. But OMG what that stuff does for rubber, hypalon and other materials.

It is the only thing that goes on my Kodiaks. And I will use it on my 5.0 too! White water rules and the 5.0 is the best place to sleep after recreating!
Attached Thumbnails
T11_6889-2.jpg   Fun on the Salmon.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
My 13 ft Hyside (definitely not Canyon-worthy) is @20 years old and going strong. Thank you, 303.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Thanks guys. This is all perfect information. Glad my intuition was correct in thinking I needed to treat the window seals. Good to hear my sticky window problem will be resolved also. Ross - I enjoyed the added pic of the 25 year old tube of Sil-Glyde! If 303 is good enough for Kodiak care it's clearly some amazing stuff. Nice action and relaxin' pics Tim!
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote