Gelcoat Crack - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #81

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Umm, how many pies? For someone experienced in doing crack repairs it's quick and simple. And if it's something like blueberry or strawberry rhubarb, no problem.

But again, I'm really surprised by the ETI response, particularity the arbitrary few months comment. The "what does 2 years bumper to bumper mean" discussion has come up previously. It would be good if they got their act together on this issue so folks know what the actual situation is.

Ron
Just to add. Beer and pies are two of my top 10 favourite things in this life. I just know, to get anyone to even look at something around here, you’ll have to up the ante with an arm and a leg.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #82

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Posts #68 and #70 x2.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #83

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

In my mind Escape has done a fantastic job with product development, building trailer, and dealing with issues. They have the process down quite well. Where they do slip a little is in the non-production areas, ones that with many businesses (mine included) seem to take a back seat. The focus is on supplying a good product, with less done on things like writing up a clearer warranty, updating of websites, and such. Given the great product, I am willing to forgive them on this, yet I know others are not.
I understand your point here but I disagree on one thing.

A warranty is not a non-production item, it is integral to the trailer. It's part of the price and value of the trailer; no different than the cushions, heater or cabinets. ETI prices their trailers, and charges customers, based on the follow-up service that they might have to do under warranty. They're selling an insurance policy. They need to spend as much time and care in their warranty service as they do any other aspect of the trailer and that means writing the warranty to reflect their intentions for service.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #84

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes Jim, fixing a gelcoat crack is no biggie for experienced people. But the average owner often has an aversion to polyester resins and f.g. in general.
My point was as much to say that a repair shop would make quick work of it as anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post

A warranty is not a non-production item, it is integral to the trailer. It's part of the price and value of the trailer; no different than the cushions, heater or cabinets. ETI prices their trailers, and charges customers, based on the follow-up service that they might have to do under warranty. They're selling an insurance policy. They need to spend as much time and care in their warranty service as they do any other aspect of the trailer and that means writing the warranty to reflect their intentions for service.
Since when is the development and wording of a warranty done in production?

Anyway, I tried to help on an issue that in my opinion has now become blown totally out of proportion, with my input either discarded, or wording put to question. While I enjoy helping where I can, this thread seems to not be that place. As suggested in my signature quote, I choose to go to a happy frame of mind.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #85

Quote:
My point was as much to say that a repair shop would make quick work of it as anything.

Since when is the development and wording of a warranty done in production?

Anyway, I tried to help on an issue that in my opinion has now become blown totally out of proportion, with my input either discarded, or wording put to question. While I enjoy helping where I can, this thread seems to not be that place. As suggested in my signature quote, I choose to go to a happy frame of mind.
I am not trying to discard or question your input. But please don't minimize my input by saying that it is blown out of proportion. I still don't know if there is a flaw in the shell under this crack. And based on advice here, I am going to take it to a shop to get an opinion.

By the way, you are helpful and I read almost every post you write because you do have good info. Thanks for the link to the sealer.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #86

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I can imagine Reace getting up and going to the factory some mornings. A receptionist tells him that someone has e-mailed in photos of a crack in their trailer shell.
"Whaaattt? Oh, craaappp!!!" It probably kinda ruins his day.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #87

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

The 2 year warranty was one of the important reasons we also purchased a Escape trailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #88

I swear I wasn't looking for more trouble, but I was under the trailer trying to adjust the cover draw-string and found this. It's blistering and flaking from underneath/behind the gelcoat. If you notice where this is, it is protected by the chine inset for the dump valves, very unlikely from external damage.
I'm taking the trailer to a boat and RV fiberglass shop soon to get an assessment and then will see if/how to present it to ETI.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0989.jpg  
Old 10-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #89

Trailer: 17
We all need to crawl under out trailers more, Thank for the update OP now that should Def. be covered under the warranty. Almost looks as if Road spray water could work its way in there. I wonder if wood structure is behind that crack? Anyone know? Water+Wood=No good. Let us know if you get warranty rejected again.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #90

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
I swear I wasn't looking for more trouble, but I was under the trailer trying to adjust the cover draw-string and found this. It's blistering and flaking from underneath/behind the gelcoat. If you notice where this is, it is protected by the chine inset for the dump valves, very unlikely from external damage.
I'm taking the trailer to a boat and RV fiberglass shop soon to get an assessment and then will see if/how to present it to ETI.
I would send the picture to ETI and get there take on it. Obviously not a crack that could be cosmetic.

Hopefully some of the folks with fiberglass experience will chime in!

I will go inspect my bottom .... i recently looked things over while trying to find a slow propane leak and tighten the fitting.

Is yours the first generation?
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Is yours the first generation?
Yes, it was completed in March 2016 and we picked it up Apr 2016.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #92

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Yes, it was completed in March 2016 and we picked it up Apr 2016.
Mesa, I wish you luck trying to figure it out.

For comparison here is a 2014 19' with many miles in 'treated' slush. Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Utah. I never have rinsed that area, or any of the bottom that doesn't get runoff from rinsing the trailer.

When I was staring at that area it dawned on me that it would test the skills of the fiberglass team! I have no idea if they rotate the shell or how that area would present itself to them.

Maybe someone that toured the factory has some insight?
Attached Thumbnails
2014 19' by black drain.jpg  
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #93

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Just wax it.
Sorry, couldn’t resist.
I share ur pain, this should get taken care of. Wierd spot, hope this isn’t problematic for more trailers.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Just wax it.
Sorry, couldn’t resist.
I share ur pain, this should get taken care of. Wierd spot, hope this isn’t problematic for more trailers.
Hi Greg . Yay just went out and took a look . Don't see anything in that area but we have the spray foam so most of that area is covered with foam and black paint . instead of wax maybe the foam will hold things together , just joking . Pat
Old 10-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #95

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea to have a professional look at your trailer . Very sorry and hope you get some resolution. Pat
Old 10-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #96

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
While that first one was quite minor (looking to me), this one looks much more serious. I think your idea of taking it in to someone who is knowledgeable with fibreglass work is the thing to do, as they could likely determine the cause the damage. I know it is not fair to make assessment from a photo and limited knowledge, but it looks like stress damage, whether from the factory or something since that you never realized even happened.

All the best in the repair.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #97

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Forgot to include a link to Captain Tolley's previously. Good product for sealing minor cracks.
Captain Tolley - Product Info
This looks interesting and I have bookmarked it! Thanks for sharing.

From an owner perspective are there generally accepted practices to prevent non impact spider cracks? Are they more likely on a trailer baking in the hot sun most of its life? Does keeping up with waxing provide any help?
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #98

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
I wonder if wood structure is behind that crack? Anyone know?
If I understand the photo correctly, the cracking is in the vertical area just outboard of where the black tank drain runs through the floor. I would not expect any wood in that vertical area.

There is some core material within the moulded shell (visible in early construction photos, mostly in the roof area), but we don't get construction photos showing those recesses before the floor is put in over them; as far as I have seen and heard, it is only fiberglass (cloth and resin). The plywood floor panel runs flat against the floor so it bridges over that recessed area, not following the fiberglass down into the recess.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If I understand the photo correctly, the cracking is in the vertical area just outboard of where the black tank drain runs through the floor. I would not expect any wood in that vertical area.

There is some core material within the moulded shell (visible in early construction photos, mostly in the roof area), but we don't get construction photos showing those recesses before the floor is put in over them; as far as I have seen and heard, it is only fiberglass (cloth and resin). The plywood floor panel runs flat against the floor so it bridges over that recessed area, not following the fiberglass down into the recess.
This would make sense because this is part of the trough formation with the low-point drain holes. That area should be hollow to allow the drainage of water.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #100

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
I am quite concerned with all these fibreglass problems. Between spider cracks and the electric awning rain issues, I am considering to cancel my order.
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote