Gelcoat Crack - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #61

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... Where they do slip a little is in the non-production areas, ones that with many businesses (mine included) seem to take a back seat. The focus is on supplying a good product, with less done on things like writing up a clearer warranty, updating of websites, and such. ...
The same could be said for other start-up RV companies (the early years of EggCamper and ParkLiner, for example). On the other hand, I hear of start-up companies who spent the majority of their time and effort focused on their on-line image and web presence while letting product quality take a back seat. Those companies don't survive long in a competitive industry.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I bet this is how you discovered my greatness then, eh?
No joke my friend, no joke.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #63

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:

After a few years with my 19 I had found a few very same stress cracks, and never really thought about airing it here, as I assume with the flex on the gelcoat these trailers might see for various reasons, that it was just normal. I just put a bit of Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure on them, then waxed over. They never did get worse in the next couple years of owning the trailers. These cracks were on on the roof near the top of the wall and pretty non-conspicuous (possibly good reason for adding the stripper pole to the 19). If they were more visible, I might just do a full gelcoat repair, something that would take less than an hour to do.
We have a similar situation to Jim's and do not think these minor cracks are anything to worry about. Mind you if it happened after only a couple of years then I would be concerned. The previous owner of ours told us before we bought it about spider cracks on the roof even sent me a photo. He asked Reace who told him just to keep it well waxed. I have continued to do so for three years and the cracks have not changed. In waxing it this week I found more but am not concerned after all it is ten years old and it doesn't leak unlike most stickies would at this point.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #64

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Mind you if it happened after only a couple of years then I would be concerned.

Adrian

So, in your opinion, should I be concerned?

Thanks
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
A lot of good points made but I have to say when the warranty reads "bumper to bumper" for two years I think that's what a court decision would say a reasonable person would expect. If it's "except for some things that we say might only be good for a few months" then ETI is long overdue in amending their warranty.

Yes Jim, fixing a gelcoat crack is no biggie for experienced people. But the average owner often has an aversion to polyester resins and f.g. in general.

As has been pointed out previously gelcoat cracks can happen for a variety of reasons. One is flexing in a thin section. I have been surprised, in some of my cutting new openings etc. how thin the layup was in spots. In other manufacturing situations there is a layup schedule and where openings are to be located the layup is increased in thickness. From my prior experience I don't believe that gelcoat cracking in a relatively new trailer is acceptable for any reason. I don't believe that it should be called normal.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
"Manufacturing defects reported to Escape Trailer Industries within two years after original retail delivery of your new Travel Trailer will be corrected without charge and within reasonable times. Excluded are misuse (including lack of reasonable maintenance), minor imperfections, alterations, and owner improper transportation, installation or hookup."

If gelcoat crack is due to a manufacturing defect it should be covered for 2 years. If the gelcoat crack is due to misuse or is considered to be a minor imperfection then it would not be covered.

That's my understanding of the warranty.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
If the gelcoat crack is due to misuse or is considered to be a minor imperfection then it would not be covered.

I don't think it's a minor imperfection. Would any one take delivery of a new trailer with a gelcoat crack? I doubt it.

That leaves misuse which I don't think is my situation.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
So, in your opinion, should I be concerned?

Thanks
Shawn, sorry I did not go back to your original post with the photos. I have now. Yes this seems more than just the spider cracks I have, I would be concerned.

Adrian
Old 10-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #69

Shawn here are the spider cracks I have, apparently before I had the trailer a small tree limb fell there.

Adrian
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #70

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
"Manufacturing defects reported to Escape Trailer Industries within two years after original retail delivery of your new Travel Trailer will be corrected without charge and within reasonable times. Excluded are misuse (including lack of reasonable maintenance), minor imperfections, alterations, and owner improper transportation, installation or hookup."

If gelcoat crack is due to a manufacturing defect it should be covered for 2 years. If the gelcoat crack is due to misuse or is considered to be a minor imperfection then it would not be covered.

This started out to be a person's concern about a crack in the gel coat but is now interpretation of the warranty. The warranty is something that affects us all and this public discussion is the place to have it. And I am in disbelief that ETI could send a message that says if it doesn't happen in the first few months its not a warranty issue.

To me the fiberglass shell is the 'signature' part of what makes ETI trailers unique from other manufacturers. If any 'part' is covered by the two year warranty, to me, would be the shell. I do agree that some 'visible' defects are normal but rare. And some 'visible' defects are a clue that there is a bigger problem underneath the gel coat. The factory, at the least should view the photos and work with the owner by suggesting they take it to a fiberglass shop and have a written assessment of the issue and an estimate of repairs. Or bring it to the factory and they will check it out.

I noticed some very thin fiberglass on our Gen 1 (2014) trailer and asked Reace what thickness I should see. He told me .125"+ (1/8"). I have found areas that are .100" (1/10").

I understand fiberglass is heavy and if you want a light trailer that shell has to be extremely well constructed to give you a strong and light shell.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #71

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Opinions

It's a free country, I think, I guess well I really don't know. If I had this problem, I would contact Reace or Tammy directly as opposed to arm chair quarterbacking and beating a dead horse for several days. Actually I'd call a friend with mad skills and fix it for about a 12 pack or a few of Rita's pies.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #72

Trailer: 17
Dave, Email is a valid and direct form of communication with them, I bought my whole trailer through it.

OP, I'd make an appointment with the factory and pay to get it fixed, even if it's next year. I don't see that crack shrinking anytime soon. I really don't think they'd charge much and could get you out in one day most likely. Get the color matched up nice and perfect, leaving you back to happy camping.

Or, if your not retired, get the repair gelcoat/materials from escape then, maybe someone on the forum here, who would know how to fix, can volunteer to meet you, and do it for you. There are some really sharp folks here who know about working with Gelcoat. There are amazing escape owners on the forum here willing to always help out a fellow owner. If you'd be open to that option lest us know. We want you a happy camper.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If I had this problem, I would contact Reace or Tammy directly as opposed to arm chair quarterbacking and beating a dead horse for several days.
I did. Read Reace's reply on post #35.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Dave, Email is a valid and direct form of communication with them, I bought my whole trailer through it.

OP, I'd make an appointment with the factory and pay to get it fixed, even if it's next year. I don't see that crack shrinking anytime soon. I really don't think they'd charge much and could get you out in one day most likely. Get the color matched up nice and perfect, leaving you back to happy camping.

Or, if your not retired, get the repair gelcoat/materials from escape then, maybe someone on the forum here, who would know how to fix, can volunteer to meet you, and do it for you. There are some really sharp folks here who know about working with Gelcoat. There are amazing escape owners on the forum here willing to always help out a fellow owner. If you'd be open to that option lest us know. We want you a happy camper.
I think I will ultimately try to fix it myself but I'll probably try to get my own supplies. Can't imagine the shipping charges for ETI to send me the material.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
....................fix it for about a 12 pack or a few of Rita's pies. Iowa Dave
Wow, Dave; that must be one heck of a 12 pack to equal Those pies!!

Edit: P.S. Are you now in trouble?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #76

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Because of this thread, I will certainly keep a close eye on my rig for the first while.
Really hoping you come back to the forum on Monday with some better news.
Also, If you do end up doing it yourself, wouldn’t mind you sharing how you do it. I certainly am not aquainted with anyone who would take this on for a case of beer and pies. I’d be in the same boat as you. Maybe I need to make more friends.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Because of this thread, I will certainly keep a close eye on my rig for the first while.
Also, If you do end up doing it yourself, wouldn’t mind you sharing how you do it. I certainly am not aquainted with anyone who would take this on for a case of beer and pies. I’d be in the same boat as you. Maybe I need to make more friends.
To be totally forthright, I've written Reace letting him know about this thread.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #78

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
There are some very nice people out there who will go to considerable lengths to help fellow campers out. At Brown county rally a friend wired in a 12 volt outlet for us in about 20 minutes. His pay was an apple pie and some nice bulbs of garlic. I don't have mad skills but I will act as a lookout for you anytime you want to wash the bugs off your camper on a corps of engineers campground. Also. I'll loan you a torque wrench to torque your lug nuts and tire tester to check you tires. Pay it forward, it will come back to you many times over. At the Niagara wine Escape I watched fellow campers impersonating Ed Norton help to change a grey or black tank valve and repair a broken bike rack for a fellow camper.
Dave
Old 10-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I certainly am not aquainted with anyone who would take this on for a case of beer and pies.
Umm, how many pies? For someone experienced in doing crack repairs it's quick and simple. And if it's something like blueberry or strawberry rhubarb, no problem.

But again, I'm really surprised by the ETI response, particularity the arbitrary few months comment. The "what does 2 years bumper to bumper mean" discussion has come up previously. It would be good if they got their act together on this issue so folks know what the actual situation is.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #80

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
I don't think it's a minor imperfection. Would any one take delivery of a new trailer with a gelcoat crack? I doubt it.

That leaves misuse which I don't think is my situation.
Mesa, I found another recent thread for you to read through.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...king-9135.html

Don’t be discouraged. Find someone locally who has the knowledge and skills to assess the problem and and give you a written estimate. Send it to ETI and I’d bet they will make it right IF it is their responsibility.

Good luck!
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote