Generator questions - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2022, 10:02 AM   #201

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
Has anyone figured out how many gallons of fuel a generator like the Honda 2200i uses during a day when used for running air conditioning as well as charging house batteries?
Not exact but based on Honda literature for the EU2200i you would be using 0.3 gals/hr at rated load.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:40 AM   #202

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Myron,

I too had a serious concern about adding a panel to the front. I have a different trailer than you so things are different. I agonized over this for many months. I finally convinced myself a front panel can work. I did go with a smaller panel (210w) than I would like to have used. I also know there are Escapes with front panels that haven't had problems.

The process I went through was this: I looked at the wind and dead loads that different panels are designed to handle and I looked at how the design loads are adjusted depending on how the panel is mounted. I looked at many different mounting systems used by the residential and commercial solar industry as well as how panels are mounted on RVs.

Then I looked at pictures of as many panel failures I could find to see if there was a commonality to the failures. A common thing about the failures I looked at involved mounting the panels at the outer edge which is the weakest point a panel can be mounted. Also, panels had failures where people drilled holes in the web of the frame.

Many panels come with pre-drilled mounting holes in the bottom flange of the frame that are located near the optimum location for developing resistance to uplift and snow load. None have holes in the web of the panel. Panel manufacturers publish the design loads for a range of mounting locations and configurations. Taking this into consideration, what I did was mount the panels at the edges using a clamp type connection used in the solar industry. This avoided adding additional holes in the frame. This clamp system is through bolted to the trailer roof. I know other Escape owners have used this system on their trailers. What I did is not unique.

Then I added an attachment at the 4 mounting holes provided by the panel manufacturer that are located about 1/3 in from the ends. I used the AM Solar clamp type attachment that bolts to these holes and bolted these clamps to an L bracket. I didn't bolt these L brackets to the trailer. I used the VHB tape that comes pre installed on the L bracket provided by AM Solar and then covered the feet with self leveling sealant.

The result is 8 attachments on the front panel, 4 of which are at the panel's optimum load resistance locations. I only have about 7,000 miles on it and I do check it once in a while.

I do think panels can be successfully mounted in the front but I do not know if it is worth the worry. For me, I needed the solar power so I did the best I could to minimize risk and worry. Not sure it is possible to eliminate the worry. I have 1060w of panel on top. So far it has worked for me although it is only enough to get me through to early May in the desert, if I am careful. To stay longer I would need more battery and more solar. However, about this time it is good for me to find cooler climate.

Bob
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:58 AM   #203

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I think I disagree with the dependable part.

You have to depend on it not being too cloudy. You have to depend on your campsite having adequate sun. There have been several campsites (Fishcreek in Glacier and Sol Duc in Olympic of the top of my head) where my single 190 watt solar panel has produced less than 10ah for an entire week.
If all you have is a single 190 watt panel and/or under a 100 ah battery you're correct. We don't need AC, so a 170 watt roof panel, a 100 watt portable and 110 a battery worked fine for us with no need for a generator. So for us, solar is dependable and has been since we purchased the portable over 3 years ago.

Last year I added 300 watts to the roof for under $500. We have yet to see our batteries down more than 80 ah's. Two weeks ago, when camping under the shade for a week on the North Shore, using our furnace every night, we only used our PITA portable one day just for fun. I would find a generator even a bigger PITA.

We now have 260 usable ah SiO2 batteries and could run our AC to cool down the interior if we wanted, but we don't need to. We avoid camping in July/August or in the humid southern states. My starter wife had to have a fan on her all the time and AC going, but Terry is the opposite (one reason we just celebrated our 25th anniversary).

Of course, we're all different, so YMMV.

Perry
Old 10-20-2022, 02:08 PM   #204

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Bob, liking your front-of-the-roof solar panel solution. Just can't leave anything to chance. In that vein here's a pix of what I did. May end up adding one to the front of the roof - when I get the urge to do the work and - if I ever get over the look of it.
Attached Thumbnails
solarcorner.jpg  
Old 10-21-2022, 05:07 AM   #205

Myron,

I don't think that is going anywhere! It looks like you have hinges for tilting the panel?

Yeh, the last thing I want to do is have a panel take flight and hurt someone. I also don't want to deal with the mess, especially while pulled off to the side of a freeway.

Bob
Old 10-21-2022, 08:09 AM   #206

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
re: "last thing I want to do is have a panel take flight.."

Ditto that. My first concern. Next was buying the sturdiest, strongest panel. Then came the 30 degree tilting option for the changing sun.
Attached Thumbnails
solarhinged.jpg  
Old 10-21-2022, 03:25 PM   #207

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
Has anyone figured out how many gallons of fuel a generator like the Honda 2200i uses during a day when used for running air conditioning as well as charging house batteries?
I am thinking the generator uses about 1/4 gal/hr running the AC and charging batteries. Does that sound about right?
The Honda EU200i specifications say it has a runtime of 8.1 hours at 25% rated output (continuous) and 3.2 hours at 100% rated output (continuous), so it is more efficient at higher load. The fuel capacity is 3.6 L, so that matches the rated consumption of 1.14 L/hr at full rated (continuous) load; the 25% load consumption would be 0.44 L/hr. With a full rated load of 1,800 watts, that's 0.63 L (0.17 USgal) per kilowatt-hour of electricity produced at full load, and 0.98 L (0.26 USgal) per kW·h at 25%.

To determine consumption, multiply the power demand by the consumption rate. How much power does the air conditioner use? For instance, if you were providing 1,100 watts to the A/C and 300 watts to the charger, that 1.4 kW total would take roughly 0.7 L/kW·h x 1.4 kW = 1 L/h... and yes, that's 1/4 of a US gallon per hour.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 08:06 AM   #208

Well, I give up on comparing the cost of a generator to the cost of solar.

Too many choices and considerations. In the end the annual cost is not enough to be much of a consideration either way. I concluded that the choice of solar or generator should be made based on what a person wants.

There may be a need to not use a generator in certain camping areas. I guess a person can find another place to camp, at least today. However, that may become a need. Storage of a generator and carrying gasoline may be a factor for some.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:07 AM   #209

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have had an open frame generator for over 20 years. I bought it for keeping things running during a power outage that usually happened in severe thunderstorms that came in already saturated soils. It ran my sump pump at my last house. Haven’t used it for a while now. Would never consider taking it camping. As I have related I bought the Honda 2200i when we were hit by the 2020 derecho. In fact I bought three, one for my son and one for my son in law too. We already had solar on the 21 so now I don’t have to make a choice. I’ve only used the Honda a couple times while camping because the solar keeps up well for our needs.
I’m glad I have the Honda more for use around the property than for camping. It is comforting to know that if we decide to camp in a campground without showers on a hot week in the summer we run the AC and stay clean in our own shower which I have done.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-22-2022, 09:49 AM   #210

Trailer: 2021 21c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I made a slide/tray with wheels for our generator to move on.
Is the foam blanket around the generator for protection when traveling or to reduce the noise level? Very cool idea!
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:12 AM   #211
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
As I have related I bought the Honda 2200i when we were hit by the 2020 derecho...
I’m glad I have the Honda more for use around the property than for camping. It is comforting to know that if we decide to camp in a campground without showers on a hot week in the summer we run the AC and stay clean in our own shower which I have done.
Iowa Dave

Finally got around to testing the SoftStart on our Mach 10. First test was plugging into a hair triggered GFI in the garage. The AC fired up no issues. Next was to test on my well used Champion 200W Inverter, stackable cube style. Again, no surprises. The AC kicked on and blew lots of cold air while the Champion roared.

I'm going to retire the Champion and spring for a Honda EU2200. Like Iowa Dave, I probably won't take it camping much unless we will be in a really hot area. Unlike the Champion, Honda's are much quieter, better build quality and the EU2200 will give me a little extra power.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:33 AM   #212

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Micro air

I thought about posting earlier this morning and you post has spurred me. I bought a micro air east start a few years ago . With the Honda 2200i and a neutral bonding plug, it easily starts the Dometic AC without the “clunk” reason I replying is because I got an email today from micro air today that they were having a 15% off sale. Thought that might make a difference to some folks considering buying this unit.

My brother installed ours. He’s kind of a wizard who has held many many certifications when he was the Maintenance Supt for 116 post offices in eastern Iowa. He’s one of those people with the ability to figure things out with a rare series of logical deductions tied to previous experience over the last 60 years.

Instructions are good on these micro airs. I wouldn’t have had to buy the little optional install kit but I did so I wouldn’t have to hunt down a connector or other small part.
Micro air easy start. Code SPRING23
Have a great day.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-05-2023, 11:43 AM   #213
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Came across this a coupe of weeks ago. Very pricey, but might be a good option for folks who do not want to hardwire a soft start.

https://active-controls-llc.myshopif...saAjZ0EALw_wcB
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator