Generator questions - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2022, 10:40 PM   #141

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by btroxell View Post
I made my neutral bonding plug to also adapt the 15A to 30A connectors using these parts:
http://https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HF93QC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_detail s
and
http://https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQU576?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_detail s
The blue tape is so that this adapter stands out from my standard dog bone adapter.

Ben
Here’s mine, reposting your links with an internal wiring picture also. Great adapter. Thanks for the idea and links

-Rick

Click image for larger version

Name:	330E588C-CBEE-4382-BDB4-B9FCD0CEE0EC.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	64682
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBC56A14-2F21-4DCD-B8E2-6008ACE8A2BC.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	64683
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:43 AM   #142

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I have the Mach10 13,500 BTU unit. I like it, especially at bed time although I do run it during the day if it is really warm in the afternoon and I am inside.

The RecPro specs look pretty good to me. It is relatively quiet, it has speed settings and can run on a Honda 2200 generator. I primarily run mine on low but if I need to cool down the trailer on a hot day I have run it at high setting for a while.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:47 PM   #143

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I have a WEN 2350 watt generator I bought just for boondocking. Was light, cheap, reasonably quiet, I liked it. Changed out the carburetor jet for the high altitude one and it works smoothly on regular gas. Has the ground neutral plug. My 11,000 btu Dometic Penguin has the MicroAir Easy start wired in. Thought I was good. This generator can run everything electric in the trailer, except the air conditioner.

I couldn't figure out why the A/C fired up nicely on the WEN, ran real cold, but then after 15 minutes run time - a hiccup - and all in the trailer shuts down. WEN goes into overload mode. You press the reset button on it and everything comes back to life again, but after another 5-7 minutes, boom, another shut down. Now I am thinking, after several years of non-use, did mice get up into the Penguin and eat the wires?

Then I read the very fine print on the Dometic Penguin owners manual. That's when I saw that a/c requires 3500 watts of run time.
Old 09-05-2022, 05:15 PM   #144
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
3500 watts at 120V is close to 30 amps, the full load on the 30A RV power. I find that very hard to believe, on a 30A circuit you should be able to run the air conditioner, microwave, and dc converter all at the same time.

note most generators are rated in 'peak VA' not in watts. 2000VA is about 1600 watts. I have an off brand 2000VA generator that can only sustain a 1300 watt load.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:08 PM   #145
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I have a WEN 2350 watt generator I bought just for boondocking. Was light, cheap, reasonably quiet, I liked it. Changed out the carburetor jet for the high altitude one and it works smoothly on regular gas. Has the ground neutral plug. My 11,000 btu Dometic Penguin has the MicroAir Easy start wired in. Thought I was good. This generator can run everything electric in the trailer, except the air conditioner.

I couldn't figure out why the A/C fired up nicely on the WEN, ran real cold, but then after 15 minutes run time - a hiccup - and all in the trailer shuts down. WEN goes into overload mode. You press the reset button on it and everything comes back to life again, but after another 5-7 minutes, boom, another shut down. Now I am thinking, after several years of non-use, did mice get up into the Penguin and eat the wires?

Then I read the very fine print on the Dometic Penguin owners manual. That's when I saw that a/c requires 3500 watts of run time.
We had the same problem last summer at Yellowstone. I thought it was the altitude that was causing it to shut down, but maybe not. I also thought it might be the lack of a grounding plug which I recently learned was needed if you have an EMS. Now I’m not sure. Would be nice to know exactly what causes the AC to shut off after 20 to 20 min on the generator. We have a Honda 2200.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #146

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
3500 watts at 120V is close to 30 amps, the full load on the 30A RV power. I find that very hard to believe, on a 30A circuit you should be able to run the air conditioner, microwave, and dc converter all at the same time.
I think that is just CYA language by Dometic. Don’t want complaints from owners all over the place who are trying all brands and sizes of generators. Granted this was near sea level but our old 11K BTU Penguin A/C ran fine on Honda EU2000i. The only time I put it into overload was during a test with the microwave simultaneously.
Old 09-10-2022, 02:01 PM   #147

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I give up. Really liked my WEN 2350i, was cheap, weighs only 32 pounds, db’s not seriously loud. But with all the wild weather out there these days it’s failure to properly run my a/c is not acceptable. No one even sells ethanol-free gas anymore.

When I bought WEN several years ago it successfully ran the air conditioner. That prompted me to celebrate with a U-Tube video on it. Got a lot of views. Maybe my original testing didn’t last long enough to reveal its overload problem. (?) What has changed? Must apologize for that.

Was tempted to buy a second, cheaper WEN - parallel connect to double the power. But, decided instead to go for the Honda EU2200i. First, I borrowed good buddy Ken’s and ran my a/c on it for an hour, just to be sure. Why take a chance? Honda delivers.

Hondas weigh in at 60 pounds. Found out the they are also very popular theft items. Drove to 3 Lowes stores claiming to have them only to get there and learn they hadn’t upgraded their inventory – told me all their Hondas had likely been stolen! Thought now would have to take my chances and order one online. When you want the Honda you want the Honda.

The Sportsman’s Warehouse in ABQ also sells them. After negotiating with management into granting me the 10% Veterans Discount… got a great deal. Beautiful.

What followed was instructions from a miserable bad back: Make a trolley for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda.jpg  
Old 09-10-2022, 02:20 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I give up. Really liked my WEN 2350i, was cheap, weighs only 32 pounds, db’s not seriously loud. But with all the wild weather out there these days it’s failure to properly run my a/c is not acceptable. No one even sells ethanol-free gas anymore.

When I bought WEN several years ago it successfully ran the air conditioner. That prompted me to celebrate with a U-Tube video on it. Got a lot of views. Maybe my original testing didn’t last long enough to reveal its overload problem. (?) What has changed? Must apologize for that.

Was tempted to buy a second, cheaper WEN - parallel connect to double the power. But, decided instead to go for the Honda EU2200i. First, I borrowed good buddy Ken’s and ran my a/c on it for an hour, just to be sure. Why take a chance? Honda delivers.

Hondas weigh in at 60 pounds. Found out the they are also very popular theft items. Drove to 3 Lowes stores claiming to have them only to get there and learn they hadn’t upgraded their inventory – told me all their Hondas had likely been stolen! Thought now would have to take my chances and order one online. When you want the Honda you want the Honda.

The Sportsman’s Warehouse in ABQ also sells them. After negotiating with management into granting me the 10% Veterans Discount… got a great deal. Beautiful.

What followed was instructions from a miserable bad back: Make a trolley for it.
Myron: Honestly I was skeptical when you bought the WEN. The Honda will not disappoint. They are great machines. Make sure to run the carb free of gas at the end of each use. That should be a built in feature of the 2200i. I had to retrofit a kit from Hutch Mountain on the older 2000i to allow for fuel shutoff.
Old 09-10-2022, 04:09 PM   #149

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I have a 2000W Hyundai that I could take with me on trailer trips but since I don't have an A/C I haven't had to. Maybe if we're taking a cold weather trip I might if I suspect that there'll be minimum solar.

It's main purpose is to act as a standby generator in the event of power outages. We don't have a lot and there's been years that we haven't had any. Rather than drain the gas I keep it filled with premium and every 3 months or so I give it enough of a run to warm it up. A bit of work but nice having it ready to go.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 05:52 PM   #150

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Download the Pure-Gas.org. Website. Ethanol free fuel is everywhere. I keep a minimum of 50-100 gallons on hand at all times.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:32 PM   #151

Trailer: 2022 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanson View Post
The 2500w Champion (I mistyped 2400w) will start and run our 13.5k soft start AC on propane. I can't speak for the AC without the soft start. Also, this gen will run about 60% longer on propane though to my ear, seems to make a bit more noise.

Now, this and most small generators has a floating neutral. It's not a big deal unless you have the optional EMS on your trailer. If so, when plugging the gen directly into your power input the EMS will give you an error code E1, indication an open ground.
It's an easy fix using a neutral bonding plug. They can be purchased for about ten bucks, but I made my own from parts on hand. A male 120v plug and a 3" piece of appliance wire. Simply jumper between the green gnd post to the neutral (silver) post, and plug into the generator. The neutral is now bonded to the ground, and the EMS will accept the 120v input.

Thanks for this information, as we are taking delivery of our E19 with Coleman AC and softstart next month and I plan to buy the Champion 2500i dual fuel.

My question: Have you used your quick connect to supply propane to the Champion? I am set up to run my CampChef Versa top stove from the quick connect and it'd be very nice if I could also run the generator that way when needed.

(We'll have solar with 2 lithium batteries and two panels, but want to have the option for brief use of AC and refilling our batteries when too much shade or cloudy skies).

Thanks to anyone who can reply

Tom Weber
TWebs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:41 PM   #152
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
quick-connects on a trailer are after the primary regulator on the tanks, and only have 11 'water-inches' of pressure, which is less than 1/2 PSI. I doubt thats sufficient pressure to run the generator, unless the generator has a similar 11 inch regulator on its tank hose, which you would bypass with a quickconnect hose. a propane engine tends to have two regulators, a primary high pressure regulator and a low pressure regulator that acts as the carburetor.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:50 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
quick-connects on a trailer are after the primary regulator on the tanks, and only have 11 'water-inches' of pressure, which is less than 1/2 PSI. I doubt thats sufficient pressure to run the generator, unless the generator has a similar 11 inch regulator on its tank hose, which you would bypass with a quickconnect hose. a propane engine tends to have two regulators, a primary high pressure regulator and a low pressure regulator that acts as the carburetor.
Thanks, John!

Tom
Old 09-15-2022, 02:52 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWebs46 View Post
Thanks for this information, as we are taking delivery of our E19 with Coleman AC and softstart next month and I plan to buy the Champion 2500i dual fuel.

My question: Have you used your quick connect to supply propane to the Champion? I am set up to run my CampChef Versa top stove from the quick connect and it'd be very nice if I could also run the generator that way when needed.

(We'll have solar with 2 lithium batteries and two panels, but want to have the option for brief use of AC and refilling our batteries when too much shade or cloudy skies).

Thanks to anyone who can reply

Tom Weber
Tom: I don't have a propane fueled gen or a quick disconnect but even if it could work I will tell you from experience you will not want the gen that close to the trailer due to noise and fumes. As John indicated those dual fuel generators are typically designed to run directly connected to a 20 or 30# tank and not from behind another regulator. Personally I would remove a propane tank from the front of the trailer and place the generator and tank in the best location given the campsite circumstances at the time. With the proper extension cords this will give you the best flexibility.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:14 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Tom: I don't have a propane fueled gen or a quick disconnect but even if it could work I will tell you from experience you will not want the gen that close to the trailer due to noise and fumes. As John indicated those dual fuel generators are typically designed to run directly connected to a 20 or 30# tank and not from behind another regulator. Personally I would remove a propane tank from the front of the trailer and place the generator and tank in the best location given the campsite circumstances at the time. With the proper extension cords this will give you the best flexibility.
This is very helpful and achieves my original purpose - avoiding carrying an additional propane tank.

Thanks very much.

Tom
Old 09-15-2022, 07:27 PM   #156

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Yes I have used myChampion 2500 DFI. with the quick disconnect. You must attach it to the supplied regulator inlet. It will function properly. I am using the supplied 12’ hose furnished by ETI.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:09 PM   #157

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Yes I have used myChampion 2500 DFI. with the quick disconnect. You must attach it to the supplied regulator inlet. It will function properly. I am using the supplied 12’ hose furnished by ETI.

Same here. I'm running a Champion 200961 dual fuel from my quick connect on the camper. But to do so, I had to connect the quick disconnect hose directly into the second stage of the two stage regulator supplied by Champion.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:39 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Same here. I'm running a Champion 200961 dual fuel from my quick connect on the camper. But to do so, I had to connect the quick disconnect hose directly into the second stage of the two stage regulator supplied by Champion.

Thanks Hugh and DC Boyd..

Tom
Old 09-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #159

Trailer: Buying
One person generator lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcgrout@icloud.com View Post
Hi - We have a 21C on order. We are planning on going with a RecPro AC3400 unit, and powering it with a Honda EU3000is generator. Where are folks carrying their generators while in transit? We have a F350 with a canopy, so no problem there, other than getting it in and out of the bed while in camp as it weighs 130 lbs. Suggestions/solutions? Thanks.
Had the same problem, and not as young as I want to be…..made a lift to move my generator and other heavy objects. It’s a one person job now. See photos
Attached Thumbnails
5269FA8F-D798-4C77-A7B3-62C3998E0025.jpg   3F2F75F2-9169-4455-A30E-642B967FE389a.jpg  
geomoore6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:57 AM   #160

Trailer: 2023 E19
I will be living out of my E19 approximately 2-3 days/week through-out the summer season next year. I will have access to shore power, but just a single 15A circuit. It will be sufficient to power the fridge, keep the batteries charged, etc...but not necessarily run the AC.

I just acquired a pre-owned, well-maintained, low hour Yamaha EF2800i inverter generator in order to power the AC when required. It should be more than sufficient for either AC option that Escape offers (have not decided which unit yet). This generator is set up with a floating neutral. The trailer will be configured with the EMS option, so a bonded neutral will be required.

The Yamaha includes 2x15amp standard outlets and a single L5-30 twist lock receptacle. The deal included a short adapter cable that that allows a standard 3-prong 30 amp RV plug to connect to this outlet.

What's the best way add a bonded neutral? I know I could make a new adapter cable that features strapped neutral and ground lugs on one end. Does anyone know if a pre-made version exists?

Alternatively, I could pick up a standard bonding plug that's been discussed in this thread and plug it into one of the 15 amp outlets....but I'm unsure that would work (since the 15A outlets are on a separate circuit). Even if it did, I don't know if that would be the best approach.

A photo of the panel is provided for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
ef2800i_panel.jpg  
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator