honda 2200i/2200i companion pairing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
Which "easy start kit" did you use and did you install it yourself?
This one. You can also check Hutchmountian.com. They occasionally have a 10% off sale.
https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
I should say that I use the neutral grounding plug on my 2200i and do not bypass the EMS. I am thinking of buying the companion to run in parallel for home backup but I would not want to pack two generators around while camping. I have a hard time figuring out where to store the one while traveling.

I'm not sure if the op has the same A/C unit on their trailer as mine, but if it is, there must be some other factor preventing the 2200i from running it.

Probably the first place to check is the generator output as there is a chance the honda isn't "generating" properly.
I have also tried a 2000i, and it would not run the AC either. I have sort of ruled out the generator as the problem.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
This one. You can also check Hutchmountian.com. They occasionally have a 10% off sale.
Did you do the install yourself? if so, how hard and how long did it take?
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
Did you do the install yourself? if so, how hard and how long did it take?
It only takes half an hour or so. You can find you tube videos to help show the installation.
Be sure and do the 5 start sequence in the instructions. This is what allows the unit to learn the amperage draw of the compressor motor.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
To the OP

Some people have luck running on 2000 watt and some do not. I would recommend the Easy Start as it would be cheaper over adding 2nd generator and required patch cable. Added plus is not having to bring along 2nd generator.

If you are mechanically inclined, the install is relatively easy. Hardest part is accessing the roof to perform the install.

The below Youtube link shows the install on same AC unit I have on my 2018 5.0TA. Other video installs available just Google Micro-Air Easy-Start.

Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:03 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Impressive! I just paired up my 2 2000i's today. Wow! Very content. The versatility is cool.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
I've got a A Honda 2200i that runs on propane. It struggled (random low voltage warnings) starting the A/C before I added the Easy Start kit. Now it doesn't even go to full throttle on A/C start.
I highly recommend it.
I agree. Could be the initial high voltage draw problem is rearing up for you. (All you super knowledgeable electric guys please weigh in! I ain't one) I understand, for about the first 2/10s of a second when it starts up, the AC demands up to 43 volts, which can present a challenge to the generator Sometimes.
I just had an electric easy start device installed today itself in my AC to prevent these problems for the Honda generator I want to get next season.
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #28

Generator tip: know anybody at an airport? Try avgas, it has preservatives car gas doesnt. It will store for years and starts on the first pull.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Generator tip: know anybody at an airport? Try avgas, it has preservatives car gas doesnt. It will store for years and starts on the first pull.

I thought avgas is a variation of diesel.

I have Aspen gas in my generator.
Not cheap.

Featured snippet from the web

Aspen alkylate petrol is an extremely clean and effective motor fuel which, compared to regular pump fuel, is virtually free from benzene, sulphur or other harmful substances. The actual alkylation process to produce Aspen is a much more advanced and expensive process.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #30

100LL avgas is a higher refined car gas that contains some lead so its a buck or so more expensive. Never use it in an engine with a catalytic converter. Small generators lack emission controls so go for it. Mowers too. Been using it for years. Watch for a little lead fouling since it does use lead. Cleaning the plug fixes that.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Been using it for years. Watch for a little lead fouling since it does use lead. Cleaning the plug fixes that.

Breathe easy.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Just installed the EasyStart (from Micro-Air) yesterday on my 2019 Escape AC, not complicated but did take me longer than half an hour with all the logistics needed to get on the Escape roof. I’m using a new Honda 2200 that can ran the AC but recently on a trip to Moab, around 5000 feet of elevation and close to 100 degrees I had few instances where it would bog down with overload. I always bypass the EPS when on generator. After the install the startup is very smooth unlike the jolt and the almost stall I had before with every restart. The YouTube video above is good except in my AC the circuit board is not in the electrical box where the capacitors are located, so in the last step you have to splice the black wire coming from the EasyStart box to the blue one from the compressor.
Remember to take it through the learning process.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #33

Quote:
100LL avgas is a higher refined car gas that contains some lead so its a buck or so more expensive. Never use it in an engine with a catalytic converter. Small generators lack emission controls so go for it. Mowers too. Been using it for years. Watch for a little lead fouling since it does use lead. Cleaning the plug fixes that.
100LL is a pain in the you know what for any engine not designed for it. Like you said it'll foul plugs but it will also cause exhaust valves to burn when the lead comes off the plugs and sticks to exhaust seats. Then the valve won't seat creating hot spots on the valve face.
Then you've got gas cuts and no more compression.
Just buy some ethanol free gas. No lead no alcohol.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #34

Maybe, but Iike I said, been using it for years. Easy start, very long storage and the lead is beneficial in lubing the valves. I dont want to beat a dead horse but most aircraft engines were designed for 80 octane. I have run around 2500 hours in aircraft engine burning 100LL. I use a lead neutralizer but my buddies don't and none of us have notable plug fouling or valve problems.

100LL is the gas of choice for all of us mowers, generators, gas power tools.

Works fine for me.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:30 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I thought avgas is a variation of diesel.
"Jet fuel" is similar to diesel; "avgas" is aviation gasoline. "100LL" is 100-octane and leaded aviation gasoline, and completely inappropriate for anything other than some aircraft which still require it due to antiquated technology.

Here's a bit of the reality of 100LL fuel... from a company which makes it:
Lead Fouling
I doubt that anyone operates their recreational generator in the way which Shell describes as appropriate to handle this fuel, and I doubt that any of those generators have the characteristics which would make 100LL appropriate... but of course I could be mistaken.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"Jet fuel" is similar to diesel; "avgas" is aviation gasoline. "100LL" is 100-octane and leaded aviation gasoline, and completely inappropriate for anything other than some aircraft which still require it due to antiquated technology.
You guys are like a dog on a bone. You do your thing, I'll do mine, ok?. Meanwhile, I'll head back to the Escape Owners FB page, much more civility over there.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #37

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
You guys are like a dog on a bone. You do your thing, I'll do mine, ok?. Meanwhile, I'll head back to the Escape Owners FB page, much more civility over there.

I am extremely grateful for the expertise and candor that Brian and others bring to the table. I am grateful for the even-handed and fair advice proffered. And I am grateful that such contributors don’t sugar coat something that is wrong but call it out as is appropriate.

I have no idea how the FaceBook group manages things as I refuse to sell my soul to FB, but if “civility” means folks there don’t call out others when something is wrong, then I am happy yet again to be here. YMMV.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I have no idea how the FaceBook group manages things as I refuse to sell my soul to FB, but if “civility” means folks there don’t call out others when something is wrong, then I am happy yet again to be here. YMMV.
If you use Google or have a smart phone, you've already sold your soul.

Facebook and the forums (Escape, FiberglassRV, etc.) are completely different. I love Facebook. I've reconnected with people from my youth. IF you only want to communicate with like-minded people... like Escape owners, then forum software may work okay for you.

Excuse me while I go back to Facebook and look at all of Red Dog's fabulous photos of his and Dora's Alaska trip.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #39

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you use Google or have a smart phone, you've already sold your soul.

Facebook and the forums (Escape, FiberglassRV, etc.) are completely different. I love Facebook. I've reconnected with people from my youth. IF you only want to communicate with like-minded people... like Escape owners, then forum software may work okay for you.

Excuse me while I go back to Facebook and look at all of Red Dog's fabulous photos of his and Dora's Alaska trip.

I do not use google, or any of their family of spyware products, either hardware or software. I do use a smartphone, and take careful note and keep careful control of what information goes to whom and for what purposes. I don’t expect others to have the technical background that informs my choices, nor do I expect anyone to make those same choices. But I would like for people to have the ability to make their own informed choices by knowing exactly what they are consenting to by doing business with firms like google and FB. This knowledge, however, runs counter to operation of their business model, and is therefore generally obscured.

Facebook, google, and your ISP, unless you use a VPN, all know more about you than you would likely care for them to know, if you were to know the true depth of that knowledge. And they will and do sell all of that freely. These are all trade offs that we choose. I just want people to be able to make informed choices. Fred’s Alaska trip is the bait to lure you in, but you are the actual product for sale.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In the 1970s I worked for a direct marketing company. You know, those junk mail people. Public utilities were selling your info even nearly 50 years ago. Every time you use a credit card, buy on eBay, vote, turn on a light in your house, drive down the road... you are being tracked and tracking often means selling info. Some you can control, most you cannot. I purposely do not use my 'real' name anywhere on the WWW. Facebook may track Donna Dee and sell her info, but it won't link back to me. Those ridiculous games on Facebook? I purposely lie, kinda fun.

Doubtful 99% of people even read the Terms of Service when they signup for anything, including discount cards for grocery stores/gas cards.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote