Hot water by-pass all the time? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Question Hot water by-pass all the time?

I have yet another question for the community....
Has anyone heard of keeping the hot water heater by-pass, by-passing the water heater all the time? We don't use the shower as its a storage closet for all our stuff. And we have in the past just heated water in a pan for the various washing with hot water that has been needed. Mostly we use the sinks at campgrounds for dirty dishes and in the washrooms.

It seems like it would save having to winterize it, replace the anode and generally be ok for those of us who don't mind roughing it a bit.
Thanks!
Old 06-01-2020, 04:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleinAirCedar View Post
I have yet another question for the community....
Has anyone heard of keeping the hot water heater by-pass, by-passing the water heater all the time? We don't use the shower as its a storage closet for all our stuff. And we have in the past just heated water in a pan for the various washing with hot water that has been needed. Mostly we use the sinks at campgrounds for dirty dishes and in the washrooms.

It seems like it would save having to winterize it, replace the anode and generally be ok for those of us who don't mind roughing it a bit.
Thanks!
If you don't keep water in the water heater, be sure to disconnect or shut off the electric heating element (if you have one) All it takes is turning it on for a minute or so without water to burn up the element.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Basically you will winterize the water heater and never "un-winterize" it.

Take out the anode, blast the insides with a garden hose until you don't feel any grit inside, let it dry for a few days, replace the anode loosely (use some Teflon tape on the threads), turn off the water bypass valves and make sure the AC switch is in the "off" position. On my unit the AC switch is a bit hidden and I never recall where it is. Makes for some unprintable vocabulary...

And a word of warning against an unintended bath. Turn off all water pressure and/or pumps, and then open a hot water faucet to drain the pressure. You will only forget once. I only forgot twice!

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I see no issue with bypassing the water heater all the time or as long you do not need it. Just remember to not turn it on by accident.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
But why?

The hot water heater provides a useful utility, (hot water) just like at home. The shower also does the same. If you're trying to save time or effort in not needing to winterize, or afraid of something, I just don't get it. Use what you have. Learn how to use it, and enjoy it.

P.S. You will still have to winterize your rig....blow out the water in all your lines and drain the traps or flush with anti-freeze. Not using your systems doesn't mean you can ignore them.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 - 19
I have never heard of anyone bypassing their HW tank all the time.
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
In the first six (6) years we owned a fiberglass trailer
( Scamp - Casita) our WH was in bypass mode .
In all our years of FG trailer ownership ( Over 10) we have never run our WH on propane

If you don’t shower in your trailer and only need hot water for dishes the cooktop works just fine
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's many ways to accomplish the same thing and that goes for just about anything.

I paid for a fully-self contained trailer and I use ALL of what I paid for. I gave up heating water on a cook top when I stopped tent camping. I find because I have hot water anytime I want it, it's easier to keep my hands clean (and I think we're all washing more now than ever). I don't worry about dirtying too many dishes, so I cook what a want. Turn on the tap, lots of hot water to wash and rinse.

When I'm finally finished traveling in my trailer and it goes to the next person, there's not going to be one thing I'll say... I've never used it. I'm not saving anything for the next person. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Thanks for your thoughtful reply and acceptance that not everyone is the same.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:39 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
to me, the shower and on-demand hot water are two of the most important features of my cabin-on-wheels aka Escape. But I camp a lot semi- 'off grid' where the only facilities are porta-potties, and there's no hookups.

p.s. other 'most important' features are the toilet, and the giant refrigerator of the E21. ok, and the propane oven, we probably bake/broil more than we cook on the stovetop.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Different storks for different forks?

Whoops, mixing my megaphones.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Thanks for your thoughtful reply and acceptance that not everyone is the same.

What are you achieving by bypassing the water heater? What is the rationale for not using it?
Old 06-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
shower and hot water is must for me. I might go 48 hours with out it,after that you want to social distance . Iif I dint need it a would have bought 17A. even If you didn't use the shower would it be easier to just turn on water heater rather than boil water for you needs?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Having our bath as a storage closet would be difficult for the foreseeable future. Just got back from a trip and parks have all the community water shut off, bathrooms and facilities closed, no tent campers and RV's have to be fully self contained or they turn you back.
It will probably be that way for some time to come if you want to hit any federal, state or commercial campgrounds.
Where I was at, they even had all the dumpsters taped shut and you had to carry out your trash.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode replacement, by pass valve, hot water, hot water tank