Interference Between Electric Tongue Jack and Propane Cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2021, 05:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Interference Between Electric Tongue Jack and Propane Cover

This is my third posting about my conversion from the hand crank to a Lippert electric tongue jack. The actual installation and electrical hookup was easy. I chose the Lippert unit because I understood it to be the type installed by ETI. Unfortunately, the motor head is large enough that it interferes with the propane cover. Not a lot, but more than I'm comfortable with. It also makes it hard to open the accessory box. I don't see any other rigid plastic propane covers that appear to be more narrow on top, so I'm left with cutting out a section to provide clearance. Has anyone else had this issue? Maybe it's a result of our 2013 19' model having the earlier frame and maybe less distance between the tanks and the hitch?

Some of these electric jacks can be rotated 90 degrees, but not this one. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd stick with the simple hand crank, which is way faster to use. Oh well. Live and learn.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 21C
I purchased a bulldog hitch and although from what I understand it is a bit faster than the lippert it still had clearance issues. I took the propane cover off and haven't thought much of it since.
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I just replaced the Atwood power tongue jack that came on my 2017 21 with a Lippert Smart jack (I managed to destroy the Atwood jack with a dropped tailgate). It is tight to the tank cover.

Since I was/am on the road, I checked with Camping World for the basic Lippert power jack which is a bit smaller. They said it was in stock. The short story is it wasn't, I needed one, so I made it work. Not sure how useful a tongue jack that automatically levels the trailer will be & I doubt it really works.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2225.jpg  
Old 11-23-2021, 07:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
I purchased a bulldog hitch and although from what I understand it is a bit faster than the lippert it still had clearance issues. I took the propane cover off and haven't thought much of it since.
That's certainly a possibility. I think I'm going to start by cutting an opening in my cover to make space for the top of the motor and then maybe patch it with aluminum flashing or fiberglass cloth. I looked at vinyl covers that appear to be smaller, but they seem to have quality issues and aren't recommended for use while towing. Sort of a "why bother" thing.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I just replaced the Atwood power tongue jack that came on my 2017 21 with a Lippert Smart jack (I managed to destroy the Atwood jack with a dropped tailgate). It is tight to the tank cover.

Since I was/am on the road, I checked with Camping World for the basic Lippert power jack which is a bit smaller. They said it was in stock. The short story is it wasn't, I needed one, so I made it work. Not sure how useful a tongue jack that automatically levels the trailer will be & I doubt it really works.
Hi John,

That one looks slightly different than ours; perhaps a little smaller. As I mentioned above, I think I'm going to cut away some clearance in the top of the plastic tank cover. I assumed I'd want to patch it to keep crud out, but maybe it's not worth the effort. Rain and road crud seem to get in there anyway as it is.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
This Bulldog is easy to turn 90 degrees and while tight works very well.
https://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-50018...7720136&sr=8-3
Old 11-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Hi John,

That one looks slightly different than ours; perhaps a little smaller. As I mentioned above, I think I'm going to cut away some clearance in the top of the plastic tank cover. I assumed I'd want to patch it to keep crud out, but maybe it's not worth the effort. Rain and road crud seem to get in there anyway as it is.
My 2011 17 was one of the first that Escape made with both the storage box & an electric jack. The propane cover was so tight it was almost impossible to remove. The cover is a thermoplastic, and if heated enough, can be reformed. I used a heat gun & portable electric heater to warm up the front enough that I could reform it.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I would echo Rossue's comments about the Bulldog Power Jack. I ordered the 4000 pound lift from Amazon right after we got home from our E19 pickup trip in July of 2019. Based on our experience with a 15B, we thought we would not need a Power Jack. However, with the E2 Fastway WDH, it was clear that there would be a lot of up and down during the hitching process. We too had to mount the Power Jack sideways. I have found that the "secret" to getting the propane tank cover on and off with the jack in place is to loosen the tank holders so that the tanks can be pushed back slightly. Like Rossue says, it is snug, but it works fine.
rajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
On the bright side, you're unlikely to lose your propane tanks cover along the freeway, somewhere.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
I just got my new E19 with power tongue jack and front box and the propane cover is quite a squeeze to fit in. No wonder Escape ships them in the bathroom rather than installed on the front. I am wondering if a heat gun applied to the install location might let it deform enough to fit better. Any thoughts?
DougO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougO View Post
I just got my new E19 with power tongue jack and front box and the propane cover is quite a squeeze to fit in. No wonder Escape ships them in the bathroom rather than installed on the front. I am wondering if a heat gun applied to the install location might let it deform enough to fit better. Any thoughts?
This thread might help…starting at post #18
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ver-22050.html
Old 12-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This thread might help…starting at post #18
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ver-22050.html
Thanks for posting that. I tried a heat gun with limited results. It seems like there is a fine line between getting it hot enough to reshape (and have it stay that way when cool) and getting it too hot and making a mess of it. I'm probably just going to cut away the interfering area and let it go at that. Our tank cover is original and looking pretty shabby by now anyway.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Thanks for posting that. I tried a heat gun with limited results. It seems like there is a fine line between getting it hot enough to reshape (and have it stay that way when cool) and getting it too hot and making a mess of it. I'm probably just going to cut away the interfering area and let it go at that. Our tank cover is original and looking pretty shabby by now anyway.
Not sure if you saw the latest post in the other thread but someone referred to a cover without the bulge in it. Maybe it’s worth a shot if your cover is already shabby?
Icon 385 Polar White Standard Propane Tank Cover
https://www.amazon.com/ICON-Propane-.../dp/B0058SQ6FC

Actually be careful with Amazon pictures...if you want it with an access door on top it is the 386 model:
https://www.amazon.com/ICON-Deluxe-P...058SQ74W&psc=1

Could always consider something made of fabric too:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/ADCO-...-p/01-0169.htm
Old 12-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Did you try rotating the bracket for switching the propane tanks to face to the rear versus at front. I had my electric jack head rotated 90 degrees to help with truck tailgate clearance. Found it difficult getting cover on/off between jack motor and front box. Now revolving the tank hose bracket I can drop on and off.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not sure if you saw the latest post in the other thread but someone referred to a cover without the bulge in it. Maybe it’s worth a shot if your cover is already shabby?
Icon 385 Polar White Standard Propane Tank Cover
https://www.amazon.com/ICON-Propane-.../dp/B0058SQ6FC

Actually be careful with Amazon pictures...if you want it with an access door on top it is the 386 model:
https://www.amazon.com/ICON-Deluxe-P...058SQ74W&psc=1

Could always consider something made of fabric too:
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/ADCO-...-p/01-0169.htm
I know this thread is probably getting a little stale now, but with the holidays past I thought I'd order one of those plastic covers from Amazon. Turns out they're about five inches taller so they can accommodate 30 pound tanks. It might be possible to cut one down, but risky to order such a bulky thing and then perhaps have to return it. I may look into the fabric covers. The very first 19s had those with the tanks oriented fore and aft (before the cargo boxes). Unfortunately, all the fabric covers seem to be only for stationary use. More research needed I guess, or just cut away a portion of the old cover.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:03 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I started with a vinyl cover that came with the trailer and switched to the hard shell version, which I am much happier with. It's easy to lift off and replace. The snap closures on the vinyl cover were a pain.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:29 PM   #17

The plastic one makes more sense in a lot of ways, except for it being such a tight fit between the box and electric jack. The vinyl one I ordered has a zipper around it, so we'll see what happens. For 20 bucks plus shipping, I figure it's worth trying even if it only lasts a year.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:45 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Just wondering if you tried rotating your the tank switching bracket on the clamp down rod so it faces aft? Like I noted above this created the clearance I needed when I pulled the cover up between electric jack head and box.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBC View Post
Just wondering if you tried rotating your the tank switching bracket on the clamp down rod so it faces aft? Like I noted above this created the clearance I needed when I pulled the cover up between electric jack head and box.
I haven't tried that, but I'll have a look. Sitting here in front of my computer, I can't picture how that's going to help since the distance from the front of the box to the back of the jack is narrow enough that the cover barely squeezes in. I'll check it out though.