Maxx fan control - educate me - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2023, 03:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 E19
Maxx fan control - educate me

My Maxx fan was on and blowing full blast when I entered the trailer a couple days ago. It didn't want to shut off at first, but after I reversed the direction it did turn off when I hit the switch again. I tried to fiddle with the auto-on button but didn't really know what I was doing. Sunday it was on again, but it turned off when I hit the switch. This morning, same thing, and strangely the furnace was on also even though its switch was fully in the 'off' position (although the temp control wasn't all the way to the left).

Supposedly this Maxx fan has had the circuit board coated by the previous owner. I'm wondering, when it is turned off does the auto-on thingie still want to turn it back on at a certain temp? Or is that only supposed to happen if I push the auto-on switch again? I'm trying to figure out if I have to do something extra with the auto-on switch to stop it from turning back on.

I'll be at Roaring River State Park in MO, M-Th this week, so by the time I read any responses I'll be set up in site 14. TIA.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:36 PM   #2

Update: Now at the state park, it's in the mid 60s outside and only 70 degrees in the Escape. Suddenly, at 7:50 pm, the Maxx fan came on! It shut off easily enough, but this is weird. Moisture in the control board? Or is there something else I don't know about the controls?
Old 10-09-2023, 08:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Mike, I don't have a clue what model Maxx Fan you have in your 2012 trailer and you've never said. Mine has a thermostat that regulates when it comes on (IF I use that button). IF the furnace is running and it gets up to whatever temperature you have YOUR MaxxFan thermostat set for, it WILL come on.

Do you have the manual for it? IF not, maybe this will help: https://www.roadpro.co.uk/userfiles/...n%20Manual.pdf
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 12:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Read the manual, put your Glasses on, Have your wife take Care of the buttons on the fan and remember the only thing you’re qualified to push is the On/Off button. Those were the sage words spoken by Reace to me at Osoyoos one year when I described your exact problem to him.
Since then (2015) I’ve never done anything but push the off button and things have worked great. Still haven’t read the book or adjusted the temperature. A good woman is hard to find.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-10-2023, 02:30 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I primarily use the direction and speed buttons in addition to the power button. If I recall correctly you need the remote to set the auto temp, and to run the fan with the vent closed so it acts like a ceiling fan. I mostly use the fan on the 3 or 4 lowest speeds
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I don't think I got a remote with the trailer and didn't know I could set it to turn on and off at certain temperatures. If I remember, I will read the manual next time I am in the trailer. Mine doesn't have a ghost controlling it but sometimes my furnace does.

I am familiar with the on/off, direction control, and speed switches.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 07:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mike, I don't have a clue what model Maxx Fan you have in your 2012 trailer and you've never said. Mine has a thermostat that regulates when it comes on (IF I use that button). IF the furnace is running and it gets up to whatever temperature you have YOUR MaxxFan thermostat set for, it WILL come on.

Do you have the manual for it? IF not, maybe this will help: https://www.roadpro.co.uk/userfiles/...n%20Manual.pdf
Ok, well, I do have a single-page "Information and Operating Guide" and it says it's for series 5200K-8501K, but I have no way to know what exact model this is within the series. I do have Auto Mode on it. I guess I just wasn't sure if I understood the instructions fully, and thought maybe something I did is causing the fan to turn itself on now and then.

Maybe you or someone can tell me this: whenever I press the OFF button, should the fan be totally out of auto mode? There isn't some lingering memory feature that would still turn it on later, is there, if I've pressed OFF? This printed manual is rather vague.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Read the manual, put your Glasses on, Have your wife take Care of the buttons on the fan and remember the only thing you’re qualified to push is the On/Off button. Those were the sage words spoken by Reace to me at Osoyoos one year when I described your exact problem to him.
Since then (2015) I’ve never done anything but push the off button and things have worked great. Still haven’t read the book or adjusted the temperature. A good woman is hard to find.
Iowa Dave
My good woman won't set foot in the trailer. I brought it home in March, and she has not so much as looked in the doorway of it! I don't know whether to be sad or happy; I do enjoy having some "alone" time, but I wish she enjoyed camping like I do.

Yeah, I've read the manual... such as it is. It leaves a bit to be desired. For example, when setting the thermostat temperature of the fan, it says hold the Auto switch for >3 seconds to reset to 78*, then if desired one can use the + and - buttons to add or subtract 1* at a time; then, "the fan will make a beep sound to confirm this setting." Only, it doesn't tell the user (but I finally deduced through trial and error) that one must push the Auto button at the end, to save the setting! Totally not in the manual. It did beep every time I pressed a +, so I was thinking, is that the confirmation beep? Nope, it's not! That is just one example of this written manual's deficiencies.
Old 10-13-2023, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
... If I recall correctly you need the remote to set the auto temp, and to run the fan with the vent closed so it acts like a ceiling fan. ...
I checked and my fan has an auto button. I didn't get a remote with the trailer. I guess I should read the manual but I am curious, was a remote supposed to come with the trailer?
Old 10-13-2023, 12:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
I checked and my fan has an auto button. I didn't get a remote with the trailer. I guess I should read the manual but I am curious, was a remote supposed to come with the trailer?
The 5200K is manual, while the 7500K has remote to raise & lower the shroud as well as other functions.

Our 2014 21C has the 5200K and while having Adventure Wagon install their RUV kit into our Transit I supplied to them the 5200K as all they had in stock was a 7500K.

While still under warranty I started having problems with the van Maxxfan and consulted with Airxcell. They had me run a diagnostic and sent me a new PC Board in September 2022. I waited until last August to install and that did not cure the problem. When I called back they said I had waited too long and was now outside the two year warranty that expired last April.

Good news is they relented and as a Goodwill gesture are sending me a new motor. I should note that this fan is connected to the van's AGM starter batteries under the driver's seat and thus not Lithium that can produce over voltage problems. I will be installing a voltage regulator on this one though.

When I asked why the fans seem to be so finicky- I was told that production shifted to China after Airxcell bought Maxxfan in 2012. Airxcell, who owns Coleman Mach still makes those units in the U.S.

In my view there still is not a competitor that is as good, however it is frustrating to have to put up with these problems when they happen.
Old 10-13-2023, 12:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The 5200K is manual, while the 7500K has remote to raise & lower the shroud as well as other functions. ...

Thanks. I twist a knob to raise and lower the shroud so I have the manual one. I have not used the auto feature and probably won't.
Old 10-13-2023, 09:44 PM   #12

Mine is manual up & down also. And no remote control.

My board must be having intermittent issues, like so many others. I went for a walk Wed. and when I came back it was blowing on high again (I never purposely run it on high). I turned it off and for the next couple hours it would give a little chirp every now and then. So I decided to try something: I pressed the 'auto' button for >3 seconds and it beeped, then I pressed the + twelve times to change the turn-on temp to 90 degrees. Correlation does not prove causation, but the fan neither came on by itself nor chirped for the rest of the week. Fingers crossed....