Odor from SDS2 cooktop - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 escape 19' with 2012 Chevy 1500
The aluminum tubes are so flimsy that they could be cracked or snapped off at the flare when tightening the nut on the tube. Making sure those nuts behind the knobs are tight I am sure would help the situation but it is still to dangerous when they could have used to more substantial material for the tubes in the first place. These are gas lines and need to be robust just like the gas lines that Escape puts into the trailers. I really like our trailer and are very happy in general with the whole Escape experience but this is a bad situation considering that multiple owners are having this problem.
j3cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #42

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3cub View Post
The aluminum tubes are so flimsy that they could be cracked or snapped off at the flare when tightening the nut on the tube. Making sure those nuts behind the knobs are tight I am sure would help the situation but it is still to dangerous when they could have used to more substantial material for the tubes in the first place. These are gas lines and need to be robust just like the gas lines that Escape puts into the trailers. I really like our trailer and are very happy in general with the whole Escape experience but this is a bad situation considering that multiple owners are having this problem.
I would call/write to both Escape and Suburban and express your concerns/dissatisfaction. This has the potential to be a very dangerous issue as more and more of these stoves are installed and get more and more mileage. This could be something that needs to be recalled.

I would do the above and then I would promptly install a Dickinson cooktop. You’ll never worry again and enjoy a first class appliance.
https://www.boatownersworld.com/dick...in-cooker.html
Old 12-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I agree the current cooktop is flawed and ETI should immediately stop installing. The Flame King - which is the same as the old Atwood is a better choice. People said the Suburban looks great- yet compared to the Atwood you are much more limited to pan size. Give me function over form please.

The Dickinson is a nice- yet overpriced appliance IMO. Price didn't deter me from buying- it was the design with recessed cavity that was a turnoff for cleaning. Am I wrong?
Old 12-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #44

Thanks so much Rubicon, I was just starting to think about a replacement and this will be a good start! I want to be sure that everybody knows that I think despite this problem I think Escape trailers are truly a great value and we love our trailer.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The Dickinson is a nice- yet overpriced appliance IMO. Price didn't deter me from buying- it was the design with recessed cavity that was a turnoff for cleaning. Am I wrong?
Maybe a little harder to clean but the burner grate easily pops out to give you clear access. Also the lower “shelf” is easily removable with seven screws after removing the large burner top. Only you can make the call on whether the price is worth it to you. Just remember these features...
-100% heavy duty stainless steel construction
-efficient, powerful ‘Triple style’ 11,000 and a 7,000 BTU burners
-Safety ‘flame-out’ protection system
-Push and turn electronic ignition
-Calibrated gas valves that produce the required BTU heat output and flame quality at all settings
-Removable wooden cutting board
-Completely flush installation

There is also a value to having a worry-free appliance I feel will last as long as the trailer.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA Escape
Send a message via MSN to bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com Send a message via Yahoo to bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com
Some great information here. I just wish I figured the problem out before I was 3 months out of warranty. Still disappointed that Escape and Suburban would not make good on an obviously faulty product. I'm reevaluating my dometic d21. It has some great reviews and is a common brand used in RVs so a bit surprised of the concern with altitude. I have an inquiry into dometic for this issue since their documentation does not mention this limitation that is obviously a problem for RV use. I do read that it's not unusual for some difficulty with gas appliance at high elevations. I've never experienced altitude problems in any of my RVs through the years with the exception of my Onan generator, which had an altitude adjustment valve. Thanks again- I will review the above stove suggestions.
bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:46 PM   #47

Send a message via MSN to bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com Send a message via Yahoo to bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com
For those thinking of taking the optional microwave located below the cook top as we did, don't. The suburban manual says not to install any appliance with fans near this cook top. I would think the fan in the microwave could easily draw in propane. I will move my microwave when I install my new cook top. Any recommendations on a mini microwave hood vent combo?
Old 12-03-2020, 10:52 PM   #48

BBQ, I am less angry now knowing you shopping for your third cooktop!!!
Old 12-03-2020, 11:30 PM   #49

Quote:
BBQ, I am less angry now knowing you shopping for your third cooktop!!!
Yah, just might open up shop for used parts! :-)
Old 12-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #50

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Rubicon, do you know if the Dickinson can be installed turned 90 degrees? Thanks.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #51

Rubicon, I checked out the Dickinson and the hole for the Suburban SDS2 is to large for the Dickinson. Also the Dickinson would be to wide and I would not have much counter top left. This going to be a pain figuring out a replacement that is good quality and will fit the existing hole. I am thinking I might get a replacement Suburban SDS2 on Warranty until I can figure this out. Do all Suburban cooktops have the flimsy aluminum tubes I wonder.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #52

Quote:
Rubicon, I checked out the Dickinson and the hole for the Suburban SDS2 is to large for the Dickinson. Also the Dickinson would be to wide and I would not have much counter top left. This going to be a pain figuring out a replacement that is good quality and will fit the existing hole. I am thinking I might get a replacement Suburban SDS2 on Warranty until I can figure this out. Do all Suburban cooktops have the flimsy aluminum tubes I wonder.
Peter: I had assumed the Dickinson was larger in both dimensions than the SDS2 but all might not be lost. I see that the Dickinson requires 12.5" depth cutout while the SDS2 is 14-1/16". The Dickinson has a large flange all around so the overall dimension is 14" - almost identical to the cutout dimension of the SDS2. While this stove is strong enough in my opinion to safely install with just support on the short ends I wonder if you could simply attach some metal angle to the exposed counter edge in such a way that you "infill" the opening at the front and back and create support on all sides. A small bead of caulk around the perimeter would clean up the edge at the front and back if the formica countertop edge is slightly exposed or not cut perfectly clean. Assuming that ETI made the cut out as per the manufacturers template you actually still have some support in the radius areas and are only dealing with a 1/16" difference or 0.03" at both the front and back. Also since the stove cutout itself will need to increase about 4" in width you will already have some support across the front and back at each corner.
Attached Thumbnails
SDS2 cut out.JPG  
Old 12-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #53

Thanks Rubicon, the Dickinson will be just to wide for me anyway.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #54

Also the Suburban model SDS2 is the same as the Suburban 3031AST that you would see for sale on the internet. I just wanted to be sure if anyone was looking at this product that they would see this post about the problems with this cooktop.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Anyone know much about Eno / Force 10 cooktops? They are sold by West Marine and seem to have good reviews. Most compare it to the Dickinson - better quality and finish but lower large burner btu.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/eno-s...08?recordNum=1

FORCE 10 - Cooking Without Compromise - Products

Suburban SDS2 cutout 18.346 x 14.094
Eno 3 burner Dimensions: 18.3" x 15.15"; Cutout: 17.7" W x 14.6" D
Attached Thumbnails
11853108.jpg  
Old 12-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Rubicon, do you know if the Dickinson can be installed turned 90 degrees? Thanks.
Unfortunately I think it would be tough given the depth of the countertop and the fact that the Dickinson is ~4 inches longer than the existing Suburban SDS2 and older Atwood DV20. Even if you could get a 22" cutout and 23" width cook top to fit sideways and assuming the controls at the front for safety you now have the 11,000 BTU high output burner (or really the edge of a hot pan/pot) right against the back wall. Also the sidewall is now exposed to heat that may have been buffered by the glass lid on the SDS2 or metal lid of the older Atwood DV20 in sideways applications. Even if you could get it to physically fit I would be uncomfortable with the heat in operation that close to combustible materials. Also I thought that the Dickinson was not possible in the 17 because of the depth and interference with the heater below the cook top. Escape wouldn't install them when asked.
Attached Thumbnails
E17 with sideways SDS2.jpg  
Old 12-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #57

Quote:
Thanks Rubicon, the Dickinson will be just to wide for me anyway.
Understood but just want to make sure you have seen the pictures of them installed in 19's. You can push the opening as close to the bulkhead as possible so you are not loosing as much space between the sink and stove as you might think.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tall-9375.html
Attached Thumbnails
rubicon dickinson.jpg  
Old 12-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #58

Great picture. I am going out to check on this. Thanks so much!!!
Old 12-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #59

Well Rubicon, I definitely could do it!!! I now anoint you Dickinson Whisperer.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #60

Quote:
Well Rubicon, I definitely could do it!!! I now anoint you Dickinson Whisperer.
Well there you go! I believe you have a flexible propane line to the stove as you posted in another thread but make sure you account for the fact that your current connection is at the front left on the Suburban and will be at the back right on the Dickinson. You will be over the drawer and not in open cabinet space which gets tricky. Additionally if Escape still provides a 120V outlet on the bulkhead you have to make sure you clear the outlet box. You likely have a plastic box with integrated outlet versus the traditional metal box like you see in the picture but same difference.
Attached Thumbnails
dickinson propane connection.jpg