Propane alarm question in 2020 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2023, 04:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Propane alarm question in 2020 5.0

Hi Group!

I came across a problem that our trailer recently started having. We purchased our 2020 5.0 in January of 2022 and never had any issues with the propane alarm until sometime in December of 2022 and again just now. The alarm goes off, we go outside and open the door, air it out, and the alarm stops. A week later it will do the same. The propane is off on both cylinders. This leads me to believe that the problem has to do with hydrogen gasses from the batteries. They are flooded 6v Interstate batteries. I assume the originals. We are plugged in on shore power and the last time the alarm went off, the go power was reading about 14.4 volts and tonite when it went off it was reading 13.8 volts. We have had this plugged into shore power the entire time since we bought it. I must admit, I never checked the battery electrolyte levels yet but could the level being low cause this? I’m not sure why it’s happening now and not early on since we bought it. Anyone have any ideas? The original owner must have replaced the alarm once because it has a February of 2021 date on the back of the unit. Thank you all for your guidance when asking questions. I appreciate it.
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:33 PM   #2
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
Hi Group!

I came across a problem that our trailer recently started having. We purchased our 2020 5.0 in January of 2022 and never had any issues with the propane alarm until sometime in December of 2022 and again just now. The alarm goes off, we go outside and open the door, air it out, and the alarm stops. A week later it will do the same. The propane is off on both cylinders. This leads me to believe that the problem has to do with hydrogen gasses from the batteries. They are flooded 6v Interstate batteries. I assume the originals. We are plugged in on shore power and the last time the alarm went off, the go power was reading about 14.4 volts and tonite when it went off it was reading 13.8 volts. We have had this plugged into shore power the entire time since we bought it. I must admit, I never checked the battery electrolyte levels yet but could the level being low cause this? I’m not sure why it’s happening now and not early on since we bought it. Anyone have any ideas? The original owner must have replaced the alarm once because it has a February of 2021 date on the back of the unit. Thank you all for your guidance when asking questions. I appreciate it.
You should definitely check the battery electrolyte level at least every 6 months. Make sure all plates are covered and use ONLY distilled water to top up each cell.

I'm not familiar with the WAFCO converter battery charging profile but many chargers will take flooded batteries up to around 14.4 volts once a month then bring the voltage down to float stage. At at higher voltages the batteries will off-gas hydrogen. I believe I've read other accounts on this forum that indicate that can cause the propane detector to go off. Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in on the above.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:37 PM   #3

I plan to check the electrolyte hopefully in the next couple of days. In order to do that safely, I just cover both solar panels and take the cables off the batteries and pull out? (I need to take the cables off because there would be no way to get to the one battery in the box under the dinette). You have to remove the one battery first and then slide the other battery over and then you can take it out. Is that how you all are doing it?
Old 01-08-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I plan to check the electrolyte hopefully in the next couple of days. In order to do that safely, I just cover both solar panels and take the cables off the batteries and pull out? (I need to take the cables off because there would be no way to get to the one battery in the box under the dinette). You have to remove the one battery first and then slide the other battery over and then you can take it out. Is that how you all are doing it?
You don't have to do all that. Just remove the caps on top of the batteries and look. IF they need water, add distilled. Put the caps back on and close up the battery box. You're good to go!

IF necessary use a mirror to see inside the back battery. I don't need to do that, but maybe you do. I have the u-shape dinette and the battery box is in the back passenger side rear.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
At higher voltages the batteries will off-gas hydrogen. I believe I've read other accounts on this forum that indicate that can cause the propane detector to go off. Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in on the above.
Yes it will. It’s a well known issue with the hydrogen off-gassing. Ideally flooded lead acid batteries are outside or in a truly sealed space from the cabin but still vented to the exterior. The stock battery boxes with a little putty around the rim are not totally sealed. Never had a problem with MTI Safe-T-Alert combo propane/CO detector false alarms until I moved lead acid batteries inside to accommodate mini-split condenser on tongue. AGM (sealed) would have fixed the nuisance too but took the plunge to lithium anyway so problem was eliminated as part of that upgrade.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Hint a turkey baster works very well to water the batteries
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
While I have gone down the lithium highway, when I had flooded lead batteries (and frequent false alarms from hydrogen from battery charging) I found that while a turkey baster might work, it still required removing cushions and removing the battery box cover, or in other words, checking electrolyte levels and adding distilled water was a PITA. Enter the battery watering system (@5 $50 from Amazon) which has tube fed caps and a squeeze bulb that after installation, allows you to stick the tube in a container of distilled water, squeeze the bulb until it would no longer compress, and each cell was filled to the proper level. The battery watering system turned a PITA into an easy to accomplish 3 minute procedure.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
While I have gone down the lithium highway, when I had flooded lead batteries (and frequent false alarms from hydrogen from battery charging) I found that while a turkey baster might work, it still required removing cushions and removing the battery box cover, or in other words, checking electrolyte levels and adding distilled water was a PITA. Enter the battery watering system (@5 $50 from Amazon) which has tube fed caps and a squeeze bulb that after installation, allows you to stick the tube in a container of distilled water, squeeze the bulb until it would no longer compress, and each cell was filled to the proper level. The battery watering system turned a PITA into an easy to accomplish 3 minute procedure.
Another vote for the battery watering system! Our used 2012 5.0 TA came with one....soooo easy!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:20 PM   #9

UPDATE: Came home from work and heard the trailer beeping again from the propane alarm. Battery was showing 14.2V on the Gopower. I was able to get the caps off and very carefully add distilled water to both batteries, I measured out and ended up using 1 & 2/3 cup of water between both batteries. I used a squeeze bottle with a long hook nose spout on it so the job was easier then anticipated…thanks All for the tips. After the water was added, I saw the Gopower at 13.7v so we shall see if this starts beeping again in a day or two or three……..thanks all for chiming in to my questions as I learn this trailer. I really appreciate everyone that steps up and helps us newbies ��
Old 01-10-2023, 06:41 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
The propane alarms do need replacing. Had to replace ours a few years back. So, that could also be the problem.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:47 PM   #11

Yep, I would hope this one is not bad though, it had a Feb 2021 date on it as mentioned above….but who knows. Hoping filling the batteries help solve. I’ll update in a few days. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2023, 04:49 PM   #12

Well, that did not take long…came home from work and it was beeping after 1 day of filling the batteries. I’ll try another alarm and see if that works. The first six months of ownership, none of this happened. No alarms.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:49 PM   #13
Site Team

When was the last time you vacuumed the sensors on the face plate? And don't have anything in front of the detector... like stinky shoes.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:52 PM   #14

I used the vacuum on it two weeks ago, and the trailer is completely empty. Nothing near it.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:18 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21C -2020 and 2003 Aliner
howdy-- you nailed it -- it is coming off the batteries-- i put quick connects on the wires to the detector and unplug when it reaches that point--- mostly happens when on shore power just FYI on my experience...
quidoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Not sure if this applies but I had the same issue last summer. I plugged my trailer into shore power with a 110v outlet on the house and the propane detector stopped beeping - hasn't beeped since; go figure?
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:32 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Not sure if this applies but I had the same issue last summer. I plugged my trailer into shore power with a 110v outlet on the house and the propane detector stopped beeping - hasn't beeped since; go figure?
Low batteries will cause the detector to go off.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When was the last time you vacuumed the sensors on the face plate? And don't have anything in front of the detector... like stinky shoes.
Is that really true that stinky shoes will set it off? Sounds like an old wives tale
Old 01-13-2023, 10:20 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Is that really true that stinky shoes will set it off? Sounds like an old wives tale
No, it's absolutely true. When I was on my Big Trip in 2018, my travel mate was sleeping on the dinette and had her shoes stored underneath. The dang alarm kept going off until we put her shoes in the back of the truck! Needlessly to say, the next shopping trip she purchased shoe deodorizer!
Old 01-13-2023, 10:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No, it's absolutely true. When I was on my Big Trip in 2018, my travel mate was sleeping on the dinette and had her shoes stored underneath. The dang alarm kept going off until we put her shoes in the back of the truck! Needlessly to say, the next shopping trip she purchased shoe deodorizer!
Ok! I believe it now! I know hair spray and other things with a propellant will set it off as well.