Protecting trailer on Alaska trip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2021, 09:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Protecting trailer on Alaska trip

Am contemplating a 8 week trip to Alaska. Have a 2014 21' pulled by a 2014 short bed crew cab Silverado. I have factory mud flaps on the tow that protect from mud and gravel somewhat.

What additional protection for the trailer have you used. Some use brush type protectors on the back of the tow but I have also heard it ruins fuel economy. Vinyl film on the trailer? Tape the front edges of water heater cover? Maybe big mud flaps bolted to the back side of the storage box?\

My trailer is still in nice shape, so I don't want to add a whole bunch of stone chips, etc. Looking for others experience. Thanks.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
https://www.etrailer.com/Mud-Flaps/R.../ERT00108.html

These work well in stopping rocks n debris

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
After recently watching friends install vinyl film for nearly 100% coverage on their brand new Chevy Colorado Bison...that's now my plan for protecting the front of our 15A. When/if a change is needed/wanted, it comes off relatively easily. The vinyl they used seems to be thick enough to absorb small stone hits...

We do a ton of off-highway travel...
Old 10-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
After recently watching friends install vinyl film for nearly 100% coverage on their brand new Chevy Colorado Bison...that's now my plan for protecting the front of our 15A. When/if a change is needed/wanted, it comes off relatively easily. The vinyl they used seems to be thick enough to absorb small stone hits...

We do a ton of off-highway travel...
On my 5.0TA I used the 3M Protectant on the outside of the frame members as that is where the tire debris slinging happens. I took it under a bit and a couple feet up. It has done great for me since 2017.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That's what I've found traveling on a lot of gravel roads. The frame cross members and fronts of the axles get the most abrasion from flying gravel.

I didn't find most of the roads in Alaska much different that roads anywhere else. Lot's of good sections, some OK places and some construction like situations that are really rough. But if you're planning on doing the Dempster Hwy. then, yes, extra mud flaps etc. could be a good idea.

I have to say, after a while in Alaska, the front of the trailer had more bug splats than I've ever had. It was a lot of work getting them off. If I was doing it again I'd consider installing vinyl film.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:32 PM   #6
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
...I didn't find most of the roads in Alaska much different that roads anywhere else. Lot's of good sections, some OK places and some construction like situations that are really rough. But if you're planning on doing the Dempster Hwy. then, yes, extra mud flaps etc. could be a good idea.

Ron
If you're considering driving the Dempster up to Inuvik, consider having 2 spare tires for each vehicle, the truck and the trailer. Travel on the Dempster includes an increased chance of losing windshields as well, since the big rigs don't slow down when passing you.

South of Fort McPherson there's shale as your road bed, which has a tendency of taking out tires. Pretty hard to get glass coverage in the NWT if the insurance company knows you're a resident from my recollection.

Met a Californian who'd ridden his BMV motorcycle to Inuvik with his rear tire cut by shale. How he made it to Inuvik...? But he did. Patched it and went south the next day as I recall...didn't want to wait for a new tire to be shipped up by air.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and if you have a Dodge Ram 1500 check your spare. Mine is a temporary, unsuitable for towing. Thus the purchase of another wheel and tire was necessitated.....
Old 10-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I have to say, after a while in Alaska, the front of the trailer had more bug splats than I've ever had. It was a lot of work getting them off. If I was doing it again I'd consider installing vinyl film.
Based on my experience with vinyl film on the front of a motorhome, the film makes cleaning those bug splats much more difficult. Even after substantial cleaning effort, it has permanent stains from "bug juice", which have penetrated right into the vinyl. It also has dark spots which appear to be from moisture getting under the edges of the film.

I would consider vinyl film for stone chip protection (it has worked for that on the painted moulded fiberglass front of our motorhome), but I don't want it for bugs, or for appearance in general.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #9

Hmm, sounds like out of the frying pan into the fire with the vinyl. Guess I won't bother. Just have to be more disciplined and clean them off bug splats more frequently.

Ron
Old 10-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Hmm, sounds like out of the frying pan into the fire with the vinyl. Guess I won't bother. Just have to be more disciplined and clean them off bug splats more frequently.

Ron
Don't you just hate seeing dirt on your Escape.....I know I do.......
Old 10-17-2021, 05:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
If you're considering driving the Dempster up to Inuvik, consider having 2 spare tires for each vehicle, the truck and the trailer. Travel on the Dempster includes an increased chance of losing windshields as well, since the big rigs don't slow down when passing you.

South of Fort McPherson there's shale as your road bed, which has a tendency of taking out tires. Pretty hard to get glass coverage in the NWT if the insurance company knows you're a resident from my recollection.

Met a Californian who'd ridden his BMV motorcycle to Inuvik with his rear tire cut by shale. How he made it to Inuvik...? But he did. Patched it and went south the next day as I recall...didn't want to wait for a new tire to be shipped up by air.
This is a very good advice! We weren't towing but were in a Ford Expedition going up the Dalton Highway hoping to go to Deadhorse. Had a flat about 100 miles before Coldfoot. With no spare and 100 miles to go on a sketchy road - we were quite nervous. Promised myself never to venture that way without double spare...
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Nasa

NASA employed TRIPLE redundancy when something absolutely, positively had to get done. 3 of everything... but only things of "mission critical" importance.

That's not my advice, but a notion for you to ponder. And you get to cipher & decide what is important....given available space, weight, cost, probability of problem, severity of problem, etc.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #13

Thinking now about Rock Tamers that I would keep in the back of the pickup and put on when we start to encounter gravel.

Vinyl sounds like it might be worth considering, wax it up good to make it easy to keep bugs off and remove it when we get home.

I have a spare Carlisle tire that has never been on the ground and a spare for the truck as well. Put those on steel wheels and take for 2nd spares.

Zig Ziglar
Old 10-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
How about slathering the front of the trailer with Plasti-Dip.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post

I have a spare Carlisle tire that has never been on the ground and a spare for the truck as well. Put those on steel wheels and take for 2nd spares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How about slathering the front of the trailer with Plasti-Dip.
Can't go wrong with a spare spare for some areas. I have seen folks that destroyed their spare and did have another spare. Saved their day.

That Plastic Dip looks pretty good in the video. Wonder how long it'd stay in place and still look good. I think if I was doing it I'd do the front lower corners if I didn't have vinyl guards, the wheel wells and the fronts of the steps and front of the rear bumper. Don't know how many times I've gravel blasted the steps and bumper and had to wire brush and repaint them.

Ron
Old 10-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
That Plastic Dip looks pretty good in the video. Wonder how long it'd stay in place and still look good. I think if I was doing it I'd do the front lower corners if I didn't have vinyl guards, the wheel wells and the fronts of the steps and front of the rear bumper. Don't know how many times I've gravel blasted the steps and bumper and had to wire brush and repaint them.

Ron
IF it lasted for one Alaska trip it may be worth it. Seems like years ago, I read on the Casita Club someone who used it over the front of their Casita on an Alaska trip. Came home, peeled it off and was very happy with the results.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I bought the towtector rock/spray guard a couple summers ago and so far so good. I prefer the bristles over the flap style rock guards.
Trailer exterior is free of road rash aside from the bumper paint on each facing side about 4" in. Only way to protect that area is some type of material that can be wrapped around as a cover. Thinking of trying an old bicycle tube.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
I bought the towtector rock/spray guard a couple summers ago and so far so good. I prefer the bristles over the flap style rock guards.
Trailer exterior is free of road rash aside from the bumper paint on each facing side about 4" in. Only way to protect that area is some type of material that can be wrapped around as a cover. Thinking of trying an old bicycle tube.
Did you notice difference in mileage with the Towtector? They like they would be better than flaps.

Zig Ziglar
Old 11-01-2021, 12:42 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Did you notice difference in mileage with the Towtector? They like they would be better than flaps.
I haven't done a check with/without, my mileage is not good to begin with but I can say if there is a difference it isn't enough that I have noticed.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
I last drove the Alcan in 1986. At that time every mile of it was paved, and that now includes the Cassiar. Are you considering the Steese Hwy to Circle City, or the top of the world Hwy to Eagle? For a plain vanilla trip to Alaska the roads have potholes and frost heaves but are mostly paved.