Replacement for rmd8555? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2022, 03:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
We have the Norcold compressor that came with our 22 21C. It is 12V only.

We have 2 100 amp Lithium batteries and 380 Watts of solar.

In 9,000 miles and 40+ nights camping in weather ranging from glaring sun to absolute cloud cover, we have yet to see less than 60% battery ratings.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
The Norcold N2175 is an exact fit replacement for the RMD8555, and is 12V only. Mine runs an average of about 30 amp*hours/day at 12V with a full load of food in warm weather.

using a pair of 200AH lithium batteries, 5 days of deep shade (zero solar) camping left me with 55% charged batteries, running the fridge plus furnace (cold nights), lighting, water pump, etc.

John,
When you swapped out your Dometic for the Norcold did both fridges go out and into the trailer without having to remove the door.

What happens to the top and bottom vents on the outside of the trailer that were there for the Dometic three way fridge?

Also, I know you said "exact fit" so that means that there were no mods necessary to the wood cabinet at all?

I agree with others who said that your fridge is really nice looking!!!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe most compressor type units are 120v powered.....as it would take a lot of your 12v batteries if operated off battery power.
Most of the smaller ones that would be installed in an Escape are 12V DC but very efficient.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:53 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
John,
When you swapped out your Dometic for the Norcold did both fridges go out and into the trailer without having to remove the door.

What happens to the top and bottom vents on the outside of the trailer that were there for the Dometic three way fridge?

Also, I know you said "exact fit" so that means that there were no mods necessary to the wood cabinet at all?

I agree with others who said that your fridge is really nice looking!!!
Yup, both went through the door no problem.... I took the mattress out to make it easier.

The N2175 is an exact fit, slide out old, slide in new, run in the 4 or 6 screws that hold it to the framing, done. Cap off the old propane line, and hook up the 12 volts.

The Norcold needs no external venting. I removed the roof vent and capped it so I could fit a larger solar panel, and for now I've got tape on the inside of the wall vent
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:57 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Escape installed the Norcold DC-558, a smaller single compressor refrigerator in my 2021 21NE. It is 24 or 12 volts.

I would prefer the one John has, not because mine doesn't work well, it works great. Temperatures in the freezer and refrigerator are right on and it uses little energy. I would prefer a larger refrigerator and freezer and I would prefer defrost. I have to shut mine down to defrost. However, it doesn't take long and the refrigerator & freezer return to operating temperatures very quickly.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:07 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
John I'm curious. What is the noise level for the Norcold 2175? I love that the absorption fridges are completely silent. Since it's a compressor fridge I assume it is noisier?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:17 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
it makes a slight humm when its running, but its pretty quiet. it even has a night mode that slows it down but I don't bother. on a 21 classic, its at the opposite end from the bed, and the furnace makes a /lot/ more noise when its on.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 09:00 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
What John said. I also have a Norcold 2175 and have had the same experience. I like it so far.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote