replacement refrigerator for Escape 21C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2023, 09:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
replacement refrigerator for Escape 21C

anyone know what refrigerator is currently being installed in new Escape 21C's? I may need to replace refrigerator in my 2018 Escape 21. don't know yet, but want to do some research before hand.

also, any recommendations on other possible refrigerators that I should be looking at. I know about compressor vs gas absorption, and generally favor gas absorption. I do fair amount of dispersed camping, so absorption seems better choice for my requirements. plus, the current refrigerator, Dometic DM2663LDX was outstanding for 5 years until it quit working on propane. any and all comments welcomed. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 12:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19’
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
anyone know what refrigerator is currently being installed in new Escape 21C's? I may need to replace refrigerator in my 2018 Escape 21. don't know yet, but want to do some research before hand.

also, any recommendations on other possible refrigerators that I should be looking at. I know about compressor vs gas absorption, and generally favor gas absorption. I do fair amount of dispersed camping, so absorption seems better choice for my requirements. plus, the current refrigerator, Dometic DM2663LDX was outstanding for 5 years until it quit working on propane. any and all comments welcomed. cheers
I was having issues with the Dometic RMD8555 while trying to run on propane in my 2015 19'. I thought that I might have to replace it and contacted ETI about the refridge options in the new 19's. Nicolas with the after sales support team told me they are now installing Norcolds, either the N7FXL or the DC855UL. Both are slightly wider and will need cabinet modifications to fit.
Fortunately, upon the advice of another E19 owner, I was able to get my current refridge running great after a complete cleaning of the orifice, burner and flue.
Sailingmiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:34 PM   #3

Sailing, thanks for reply. I'm curious, did the propane light at all? anyways, I have appointment to take mine in, I give up on fixing it myself.

after some research, I think Dometic DM2682 may be the one for my 2018 Escape 21. it appears to have practically the same dimensions as my DM2663. hopefully, I won't need it, but we will see. cheers
Old 08-17-2023, 05:28 PM   #4

My fridge would light and cool the freezer properly but it would not cool the lower refrigerator section at all. After cleaning the orifice and burner the lower portion of the fridge is cooled to mid 30's F in the 90°F weather the NW is getting right now.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:28 PM   #5

Sail, thanks for reply, good info, reminds me of my Casita refrig lols. my DM2663 has different issue, gas lights OK, has good flame, then electronics turns off gas, safety feature gone haywire. so, still happy I’m taking it in to hopefully get fixed? cheers
Old 08-19-2023, 12:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We replaced our Dometic RMD8555 with a Dometic 10.5xt absorption model last summer. Fits perfectly in the cabinet of our 2015 21. The gas connections in back took a slight bit of adjustment. It has stainless steel shelves, better lighting, and can be opened from either left or right side. I turned it on propane yesterday to prep for a trip. Left it empty and started with frig temp 78/78 (frig/freezer)-it was 42/16 in 4 hours! Turned it down to 3, and it held at 38/-1 overnight. We have used it in 90+ degree weather as well as freezing weather and it has been great so far. Will check again this week as temps are triple digit every day. Next test is to see how it handles elevation when we are in the Rockies next month!
Treblemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 02:12 PM   #7

Treble, thanks for reply. I see cool refrigerator, but only use with propane?, appears takes AC 230 volts for electric?, so how does that work in RV travel trailer? thanks
Old 08-19-2023, 02:24 PM   #8

I'm seeing 120v version now, RMD 10.5XT, but appears no longer available?
Old 08-19-2023, 02:35 PM   #9

There have been a couple of threads recently with mention of replacing Dometic refrigerators. I did a bit of research myself and believe that you will have a hard time finding a Dometic absorption replacement that fits your current opening. My research found only the Norcold models of absorption refers that would fit. It seems that with the current state of solar and battery options that the trend is towards compressor type units.
Old 08-19-2023, 02:49 PM   #10

Sail, did you look at DM2672, and DM2682?, appears to be available and same dimensions, functions as my DM2663. DM2682 has manual temp control, DM2672 is automatic. I know many like the compressor types, may have to go that way IDK. cheers
Old 08-19-2023, 03:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I'm seeing 120v version now, RMD 10.5XT, but appears no longer available?
It is a 3 way absorption model. I do hope they haven’t discontinued it. There is a similar model 10.5 T also you may want to search for.However, I would also check the Norcold
models.
Old 08-19-2023, 06:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treblemaker View Post
It is a 3 way absorption model. I do hope they haven’t discontinued it. There is a similar model 10.5 T also you may want to search for.However, I would also check the Norcold
models.
To clarify- Charles Pou has a Gen2 trailer. The 10..5 XT fits a Gen 1 19 & 21 that originally had an RMD8555. The Gen 2 trailers have a standard RV door vs. ETI made FG door and are wider to allow current model Dometic units.
Old 08-20-2023, 11:51 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treblemaker View Post
It is a 3 way absorption model. I do hope they haven’t discontinued it. There is a similar model 10.5 T also you may want to search for.However, I would also check the Norcold models.
My conversations with a couple of Dometic dealers indicated that the 10.5XT is no longer in production. I was trying to purchase one this summer without success.

Actually, I am not having any luck finding a Norcold either...
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 03:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
My conversations with a couple of Dometic dealers indicated that the 10.5XT is no longer in production. I was trying to purchase one this summer without success.

Actually, I am not having any luck finding a Norcold either...
I feel your pain! We just got lucky with ours, I guess. This might be a possibility for you, looks like dimensions work for a Gen 1 like ours. However, I know nothing about this model other than what is listed.

https://highskyrvparts.com/rv-parts/...eezer-n4150agr
Old 08-23-2023, 11:01 AM   #15

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Our 2022 21c has a Norcold N7LX3 3 way. It works very well on ac and gas. 12 v is a no no.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 12:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingmiker View Post
My fridge would light and cool the freezer properly but it would not cool the lower refrigerator section at all. After cleaning the orifice and burner the lower portion of the fridge is cooled to mid 30's F in the 90°F weather the NW is getting right now.
Do you have a procedure or link or something for what you did? My fridge does not want to cool on propane very well but works fine on AC. Thanks!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 02:47 PM   #17

There are several postings related to cleaning the burner and orifice. Try this for starters: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ues-25032.html

Basically I removed both the burner and orifice from the back of the fridge then soaked them in alcohol before blowing them out with compressed air. DO NOT try to stick a wire tru the orifice. After reassembling be sure to test the propane connection to the orifice with soapy water to see that there are no leaks.
I was initially intimidated by the process but a friend convinced me to do it as it was quite simple.
There are plenty of youtube videos demonstrating the process on several different absorption type refrigerators.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:23 PM   #18

hello marant, thanks for reply, maybe what I'll end up with, Norcold N7LX3, appears available, and looks great. cheers
Old 10-25-2023, 05:20 PM   #19

got word back from authorized Dometic Service Center, maybe need new refrigerator. so, considering new compressor refrigerators, and no solar power, what kind of experience should I expect dry camping?

I'm pretty light on solar, but recall getting the idea, with 2 6 volt batteries, I can run refrigerator on DC maybe 12 hours, before having to get out generator and recharge. so not very great IMO.

I assume the new DC compressor refrigerators are more efficient? so how long could I expect to run a new 6 cf compressor refrigerator in moderately hot weather on 2 6 volt batteries, before needing to recharge? I assume adding some solar would help, and would not require inverter. solar would simply charge the battery, that's all it needs to do, right? any and all comments welcomed. cheers
Old 10-25-2023, 07:37 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I just did a little experiment that probably served no useful purpose at all. I did it because I had several items just sitting there and I was curious.

I had a 100Ah lithium battery, a 1500 watt inverter, and a 110 volt bar fridge just begging me to try a little experiment. Filled the ice cube tray and put a couple of water filled containers in the fridge.

It ran for 19 hours continuously and took the battery down to 40%. Very inefficient because the inverter has just over 1 amp parasitic draw even when the compressor is off cycle.

I probably should have hooked up a 100 amp panel to it. Probably would have noticeably reduced the recharging requirement.

In your case I can't see going with a compressor fridge unless you have a minimum of 200 watts of solar and probably more if you look at what others have done.

Having said that I do think that it's easy to get carried away going whole hog and get into overkill. If you're willing to use your generator from time to time if solar isn't providing enough you could probably go with a less costly system than some.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote