RV Antifreeze , Which one? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2023, 05:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
RV Antifreeze , Which one?

Hi All,
Last year I put the Walmart Supertech antifreeze in my camper when winterizing. Then I read that it is not good for campers because of the alcohol (ethonol) in the mixture. People were saying it’s bad for the seals in the waterpump and toilet seals, etc….

What are you all using exactly and has anyone had these kinds of issues with their escape? I’m looking around for the propelene mix , non alcohol based and can’t find.

Thoughts or are we over thinking this?
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
I live in Canada so experience some very cold winter temperatures. Since we bought our Escape in 2019 I have used a small air compressor to blow the water from all the water lines.
Then add rv antifreeze to all drains.
Of course the hot water tank is drained, cleaned out as well. Be sure to release the pressure in the hot water tank before removing the sacrificial electrode.
Next I remove the clear filter cap from the water pump.
So far no problems, no flushing the plumbing of antifreeze.
Be sure to open all taps, outside shower, toilet valve, etc. and be sure to add antifreeze to shower drain.

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 01:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
This is probably not what you want to hear, but...

I don't use anti-freeze at all. I blow out the camper and then do it again. I also live in a very cold weather climate and have not had a problem in three years.

Why do I do this? Because one day after I did put anti-freeze in the system, I turned the faucet on and got a putrid yellowish, off color tint that showed up in the water with a slight fizz and bubbling present. I could not see through the water and would not use it for coffee. We drink the water out of our otherwise clean system and have no plans to change. that.

Our water coming out is clean! And we like it that way. Not trying to yuck your yums (kid talk), but I will not drink water from a system with anti-freeze in it. No matter what anyone says about safety.

Okay, I will go back to being quiet now.

Note: Boulder has what is referred to as 'First Use Water'. That means it comes right off the glacier or watershed and we are the first ones to drink or use it. We are a little spoiled but the other side of the mountain range has even better water. Boulder also owns our own glacier (really a snow field).
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:36 AM   #4

I always use the RV antifreeze, never had any issues & Im not interested in blowing out the lines with air…

Just wanted to know what you guys are using for antifreeze (from those that use it, not hearsay) .

Thanks though for the info…. Just wanted to stay on point here.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 2022 E19
I blow out the lines, run anti-freeze through the system and then blow out the anti-freeze. Might seem excessive but it's easy to do and I figure why take the chance?
The last few years I've bought a brand of anti-freeze called Absolute Zero. In Canada I get it at Canadian Tire. It's twice as expensive as most but I like it because it is glycol based and doesn't have an odour.
My 2022 Escape doesn't have p-traps (not sure about the shower) but I dump some anti-freeze in anyway.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I also live in a cold climate where the trailer needs to be winterized from Oct to Apr. I blow out the lines, drain the tanks, and put rv antifreeze only in the drains. No issues in 10 years with my 2 Escapes.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Ditto here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I also live in a cold climate where the trailer needs to be winterized from Oct to Apr. I blow out the lines, drain the tanks, and put rv antifreeze only in the drains. .
The same as I do. I'll blow the lines out very well, drain the filter near the water pump, add anti-freeze down the sinks and shower and be done with it. 15 years and 2 egg trailers and no problem.
Make sure you blow out the water in the toilet flush valve. That is the weak spot in the water system.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
I always use the RV antifreeze, never had any issues & Im not interested in blowing out the lines with air…

Just wanted to know what you guys are using for antifreeze (from those that use it, not hearsay) .

Thanks though for the info…. Just wanted to stay on point here.
Aaron - I understand that you want to use antifreeze. I hadn't realized that the RV/Boat antifreeze like Super Tech that I am likely grabbing off the shelf is actually a glycol/ethanol mix. We haven't had any issues with seals, etc. probably because the percentage of alcohol is low enough but I understand your concern. Another concern for some that I read about is some brands use recycled propylene that comes into recyclers from aircraft deicing. This can introduce other contaminants. If you want virgin ingredients and no alcohol, you may need to order something like these made by Starbrite or West Marine:
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/starb...ti-freeze-50f/
https://www.westmarine.com/west-mari...xoCdhUQAvD_BwE

We used to blow out the lines but the trailer is now typically winterized each year with antifreeze during a long fishing trip in Erie where the weather deteriorates quickly. It is just easier to do with the winterizing tee off the pump and not worrying about having a compressor. We would have antifreeze on hand for the drains anyhow. Please note that we do not drink the water from our fresh water system so we are not as particular as some may be regarding the quality/taste of the water.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:13 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I also live in a cold climate where the trailer needs to be winterized from Oct to Apr. I blow out the lines, drain the tanks, and put rv antifreeze only in the drains. No issues in 10 years with my 2 Escapes.
Add me to the no-antifreeze group. I blow out the lines and the traps. We camp all year and having to winterize, and re-winterize would be a total PIA.

Caveat: We live the in the desert southwest so it doesn't get nearly as cold as our friends up north.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 12:15 PM   #10

Though I blow out now.................

Though I blow out now, after years of drawing antifreeze into all lines - I use RecPro - "non alcohol" and no ethylene glycol - though a bit pricey....just in traps / drains.

So much cleaner / easier to blow out the lines...and no yuckey pink champagne to deal with.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-antifreeze...ion-non-toxic/

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Fahren..._df_B0CJ3G6KCJ

FYI - propylyne glycol is actually an "alcohol" of sorts..........and I hope I'm not getting recycled aircraft deicing fluid either.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Though I blow out now, after years of drawing antifreeze into all lines - I use RecPro - "non alcohol" and no ethylene glycol - though a bit pricey....just in traps / drains.

So much cleaner / easier to blow out the lines...and no yuckey pink champagne to deal with.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-antifreeze...ion-non-toxic/

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Fahren..._df_B0CJ3G6KCJ

FYI - propylyne glycol is actually an "alcohol" of sorts..........and I hope I'm not getting recycled aircraft deicing fluid either.
This RecPro anti-freeze does not specifically say virgin propylene like the ones I listed above. Not to say it isn't but there might be some games being played by manufacturers of this stuff if the aircraft deicer recycling is true. Would probably need to contact RecPro directly to try to find out.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Like so many other items on this forum there definitely appears to be two camps.

I'm in the blow the lines dry camp. But, to be fair, I do it because I can. I have a large compressor and can put a high volume of air through the lines. When I've done two or three cycles I'm reasonably sure my lines are dry. For folks without a compressor I can see how just using antifreeze is their option.

Too bad we don't have poll results. It appears that it might be close to 50-50.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This RecPro anti-freeze does not specifically say virgin propylene like the ones I listed above. Not to say it isn't but there might be some games being played by manufacturers of this stuff if the aircraft deicer recycling is true. Would probably need to contact RecPro directly to try to find out.
Good point - another reason I switched to blow and only use anti-freeze on the drain / waste side of the system.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:42 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
How do all of you that blow the lines handle the toilet supply valve? THAT'S the weak link (IMHO) in all the plumbing. It never breaks at a good opportunity and that's why a toilet water supply shut off valve is so important. But anyway, do you ever worry about it??
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:59 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How do all of you that blow the lines handle the toilet supply valve? THAT'S the weak link (IMHO) in all the plumbing. It never breaks at a good opportunity and that's why a toilet water supply shut off valve is so important. But anyway, do you ever worry about it??
Composter
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:00 PM   #16

I’ve always just left the toilet valve open and flushed antifreeze through the line till it comes out pink in the toilet. Then left some pink in the toilet all winter. I probably should exercise that valve so I don’t have any future issues.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:06 PM   #17

Quote:
I just open it up (step on lever) while the line is under positive air pressure, just like a faucet...........?
Old 09-28-2023, 06:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
I do have a plastic gadget that holds the toilet drain open while I supply air. And yes, I installed a secondary shut off valve in case of toilet valve malfunctions. I worry, or I used to...
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 07:06 PM   #19

Quote:
This was a problem when owners were using the low point drains that were on the early Escapes. If you run compressed air or antifreeze through the toilet valve you will be fine.

…and yes the shutoff valve on the supply line is a must IMO. Have used it twice. Once when the odd metal clad flexible supply line to the toilet started leaking under the dinette bench and once when the toilet flush valve failed.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I used to blow out the lines, and stopped doing that and went back to using RV antifreeze.

Basically, either method works.

The problem I had with blowing out the lines is that (at least for my E19) getting the pump to re-prime in the spring was a PITA. I had to pull the cap off the screen and pour in a lot of water, all under the bed, with very tight access and no room to speak of above the prime location.

Using RV anti-freeze, the pump doesn't lose prime and I just have to pump the different fluids (Antifreeze and water) through the system. Ultimately, it was easier to leave the system fully primed.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote