Suggest Drill for Jacks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Suggest Drill for Jacks

Someone has recommended a drill, that's not too strong for some fear. I can't seem to find the post or note.

Can you suggest a small, not too costly drill to travel with?

And if you can suggest any other tools needed would also help me.

Thanks!
Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
This is the one I use.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...7-22/204300706
Old 06-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post
Someone has recommended a drill, that's not too strong for some fear. I can't seem to find the post or note.

Thanks!
I've got a Black & Decker 12V for on the road. It is about as inexpensive as you're going to find. It's small and light. I have 18 volt cordless stuff I use at home.

As far as not too strong. Most modern drills have a clutch that keeps you from over driving screws, so you can set the clutch so slip before it would twist out of your hand.

BLACK+DECKER 12V MAX Cordless Drill/Driver
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I assume by “Jacks” you are referring to the stabilizers
Menards had a battery drill on sale for $20 ,thought I would save a couple of bucks , ok drill but not enough torque for the stabalizers
(Most better battery drills have an adjustable clutch you can set so it slips before you hurt your wrist )
I then bought a drill that produces 430 in/lbs of torque , it came with 2 -20V lithium ion batteries , a charger and a carrying bag for a little over $50
Adjusted the drill’s clutch - Works great
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I've got a Black & Decker 12V for on the road. It is about as inexpensive as you're going to find. It's small and light.
Ditto ... all you need.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I do not use the drill on my stabilizers as long as I can use the crank I will. However in 18v battery tools at home and for my 12 volt inflator I am all Milwaukee. Routers and accurate jigsaw: Bosch. Hand tools: S-K, Proto, Klein, Armstrong, USA made Craftsman, Snap-on.
Won’t cry if I lose one: all other brands.
My son is all DeWalt. 18v
Everybody has preferences, you generally get what you pay for. My local tool dealers ( Acme Tools and Campbell’s) have been good to me. I support the local guys when I can.
Like many folks, I’ve had some tools 50 years. None of them are off shore manufactured.
Iowa, pardon me my flag is showing, Dave
Old 06-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
A lot of folks use impact type drills. Personally I find them annoying and I don't like their ability to force the stabilizers to work even when they need servicing. Using a basic, non-impact drill works fine if your stabilizers are clean and lubed. If it wants to twist around it's sending you a message.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
A lot of folks use impact type drills. Personally I find them annoying and I don't like their ability to force the stabilizers to work even when they need servicing. Using a basic, non-impact drill works fine if your stabilizers are clean and lubed. If it wants to twist around it's sending you a message.

Ron

True that!!

I use my 18V Ryobi, which is overkill, but when we are setting up after dark, or leaving early, I just use the hand crank, because it's quieter than I am at that point. It's nice to have a piece of flat wood or a pad to kneel on either way.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
That sounds like the comment that I gave someone before. I use the following and would recommend it..

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS31-2A.../dp/B003BEE2LU
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:21 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If one isn't trying to bury the stabilizers in the ground you can use a drill/driver or low speed and stop after just a chirp or 2 set at a reasonable torque.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #11

Thank you all!
Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If one isn't trying to bury the stabilizers in the ground you can use a drill/driver or low speed and stop after just a chirp or 2 set at a reasonable torque.
I use mine for fast up and down. But I use the hand crank for the final tweak. Much better feedback on how much you're loading up the stabilizer.

Ron
Old 06-27-2020, 06:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post

Thanks!
I carry a plastic tote with Ryobi Battery Operated Tools (Home Depot). I've never had battery tools before and started buying when we got the Escape, they are on my favorites list now. We bring along the following Ryobi tools, drill / leaf blower (works great for clearing the top of the awning and the outdoor mat and even the pad we park on) / a work light / a lantern / a fan / a vacuum / tire inflator /2 batteries and the charger.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
I use mine for fast up and down. But I use the hand crank for the final tweak. Much better feedback on how much you're loading up the stabilizer.

Ron
I use the crank exclusively, also for the feel. But I don’t use a drill at all even though I take one along on every trip. In the time it takes to retrieve both the drill and the crank, I can just grab the crank and have the stabilizers set. I personally don’t see using two tools to do a simple 30 second job as being efficient. YMMV!
Old 06-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I carry a Bosch 12V hammer drill, I don't use it for the stabilizers. I have heard drills doing stabilizers all the way across a campground, and figure I can still manage to do it by hand. I did purchase a 3/8" socket & crank from Harbor Freight. The spinning handle is easier on the hands than the stock crank.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Drill baby Drill

Shux, the stab jacks are so much easier than the ones on my old Casita that I am glad to use that factory-supplied crank..seems simple and nothing more needed. for me.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I use the crank exclusively, also for the feel. But I don’t use a drill at all even though I take one along on every trip. In the time it takes to retrieve both the drill and the crank, I can just grab the crank and have the stabilizers set. I personally don’t see using two tools to do a simple 30 second job as being efficient. YMMV!
I don't know about that. It takes 33 rotations of the crank, times 4, 132 rotations or 4 taps on the drill trigger. Since they're stored together it's not a big deal to take both with me. I also have a 3/4" hex on my tongue jack and use the drill there for the quick up down part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While I carry a Bosch 12V hammer drill, I don't use it for the stabilizers. I have heard drills doing stabilizers all the way across a campground, and figure I can still manage to do it by hand. The spinning handle is easier on the hands than the stock crank.
I hear you Jon, or rather I don't hear you and you don't hear me because noise, horrible noise, is one of the reasons that I use a plain drill not an impact one.

Yah, I hated the stock handle so I put a ball bearing and nice on the hands round end on mine.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0021_resize.JPG   IMGP0022_resize.JPG   IMGP0001_resize.JPG  
Old 06-27-2020, 11:32 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 - 19
Ron i like the hex on the tongue jack! I was wondering if that was possible. I think ill give it a go. I agree on the impactors - while they are amazing for driving screws they are too loud for camping and a regular drill works just fine.
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:55 PM   #19

I did that mod to my Scamp and tried it with an impact drill. Hated it and didn't like doing that to the gears. So I converted it back to stock.

On this mod, using a non-impact drill it works fine but I don't make it do any heavy lifting, just quick up and down. I wouldn't do this mod unless you also make a removable handle for things like cranking it up under load to put WDH bars on.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0027_resize.JPG   IMGP0028_resize.jpg  
Old 06-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:

Ron
Drills are much less noisy. Impact drivers are very noisy and will wake your neighbors on an early exit. I have a Ryobi drill that works well. Battery works for inflator as well.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote