Two way water heater question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2024, 07:45 PM   #21
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Reading this thread makes me feel really fortunate! My pre-loved 2012 came to me with an indoor switch for the (gas only) water heater. Happy, happy.
Yeah. I was totally happy with the gas only switch in our old E21. But I have to admit, the electric option when available is quite nice… saves gas for when we don’t have electric hookups.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:15 AM   #22

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
Good for you.
Glad to help. Any time.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
Yeah. I was totally happy with the gas only switch in our old E21. But I have to admit, the electric option when available is quite nice… saves gas for when we don’t have electric hookups.
I don't think the water heater uses enough gas to really matter much. But honestly, sometimes when I want to wash dishes and I only have 3-4 items to wash, I'll heat some water on the cooktop in my teakettle. Then pour from the teakettle's narrow spout to wash & rinse. It beats running a quart of cold water while waiting for the hot to get to the faucet! Besides, my teakettle has a thermometer built into the lid and I can get just the right temperature, versus trying to regulate by mixing hot and cold at the tap.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:08 AM   #24

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
I've been thinking about adding this switch/relay to the water heater power as well. A little searching of the part# that CharlesinGA posted shows there's a little better option for the relay. This 40A relay at Digikey is the slightly heavier duty version and a lot cheaper. The datasheet shows its rated for 1120W switching, which is a little low for the water heater element, but the 30A relay is only rated for 840W of resistive switching.

Take a look at the RIB series of relays from functional devices. You'll probably find one much better suited, including proper enclosure and isolation.

https://www.functionaldevices.com/pr...tegory/relays/
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote