Warranty Service - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #41

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Take a another look at the OP's pic - the fitting is broken off in the threaded spin fitting damaging it such that it will need to be replaced. Just adding a bunch of sealant to damaged threads is a short term fix and will fail again.
Agreed. I don't see how the parts being sent by Escape will actually fix the problem. I would start by taking the existing sealant off and getting a better look at the tank fitting.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Agreed. I don't see how the parts being sent by Escape will actually fix the problem. I would start by taking the existing sealant off and getting a better look at the tank fitting.
Hi: rubicon327... Without a better look all this is conjecture!!! Excuse me while I go camp out in the drive way!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps Dustin is not aware of the tank crack. Were pictures sent?
Old 06-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps Dustin is not aware of the tank crack. Were pictures sent?
That's a good point, Jim. The OP said he would fix the leak when he got back - so they may not have been able to send pics if they are traveling.

--- I REALLY need to go on a trip somewhere. This staying at home has made me cranky!
Old 06-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
That's a good point, Jim. The OP said he would fix the leak when he got back - so they may not have been able to send pics if they are traveling.

--- I REALLY need to go on a trip somewhere. This staying at home has made me cranky!
I think you have a lot of company in those thoughts, myself included......
Old 06-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Old 06-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #47

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Had time at campground to remove the old sealant. Looks like the pipe broke off. How does one get the old pipe out? Have to drop Gray tank? Did send pic to Dustin.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #48

Had to cut pipe cause it was banging on tank while driving. Need to find tool to get old male adapter threads out.
Attached Thumbnails
pipe2.jpg  
Old 06-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I didn't see anyone discuss why plumbing may have failed. I have 2018 Escape 21, and appears OP has 2019 Escape 21, so our 2 trailers are probably very similar. on my trailer, the long black water drain pipe is supported OK, but not very durable. I have looked at other Escape 21 trailers and found they come from the factory same way.

on my trailer the pipe is supported by a length of hanging strap, connected to the metal frame on the inside with a small screw, attached to the fiberglass body on the outside with the same small screw, and appears to cradle/ support the pipe adequately. however, on my trailer, the screw holding the strap to the fiberglass pulled out of the fiberglass. I assume same happened to the OP. I guess I'm lucky I didn't have similar damage. to fix, I wrapped the strap around the pipe, and attached the strap to the metal frame with both ends of the strap coming together. Not an ideal solution, but was an easy fix, and appears to do the job. if I can remember, I'll provide some pics in the future.

I'm surprised I don't see more posts with similar damage. I'm also surprised Escape doesn't fix this known issue. I generally have a very high opinion of Escape, and absolutely love my Escape 21. however, the way the factory supports the drain pipe is definitely below standard, and should be improved IMO. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #50

Perhaps most owners get the foam package and does not see this error, I know that is my excuse.......perhaps the foam adds some needed support?
Old 06-18-2020, 08:54 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post

I'm surprised I don't see more posts with similar damage.
however, the way the factory supports the drain pipe is definitely below standard, and should be improved IMO. cheers
You won't see one from me. Adding a second strap was one of the first things that I did when I got mine home. Seen to many trailers with dangling sewer pipes to depend on one strap.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014
Just curious. Why don't they fix it? Sounds like an issue for many especially those without the foam. Surely they must be aware.
dattoll2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I didn't see anyone discuss why plumbing may have failed. I have 2018 Escape 21, and appears OP has 2019 Escape 21, so our 2 trailers are probably very similar. on my trailer, the long black water drain pipe is supported OK, but not very durable. I have looked at other Escape 21 trailers and found they come from the factory same way.

on my trailer the pipe is supported by a length of hanging strap, connected to the metal frame on the inside with a small screw, attached to the fiberglass body on the outside with the same small screw, and appears to cradle/ support the pipe adequately. however, on my trailer, the screw holding the strap to the fiberglass pulled out of the fiberglass. I assume same happened to the OP. I guess I'm lucky I didn't have similar damage. to fix, I wrapped the strap around the pipe, and attached the strap to the metal frame with both ends of the strap coming together. Not an ideal solution, but was an easy fix, and appears to do the job. if I can remember, I'll provide some pics in the future.

I'm surprised I don't see more posts with similar damage. I'm also surprised Escape doesn't fix this known issue. I generally have a very high opinion of Escape, and absolutely love my Escape 21. however, the way the factory supports the drain pipe is definitely below standard, and should be improved IMO. cheers
I totally agree! I changed the hanger on my trailer soon after taken it home. That is a lot of stress being applied to the grey tank pipe connection the way Escape does it. Below is a pic of the way I remedied the problem. With the pipe hanging from a frame bracket using a rubber cushioned clamp, it should be good for a while. Also, the rubber coupling prevents tension from the black tank piping from putting tension on the grey tank piping and vice versa.
Attached Thumbnails
Black tank pipe hanger.jpg  
Old 06-18-2020, 10:46 PM   #54

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Had to cut pipe cause it was banging on tank while driving. Need to find tool to get old male adapter threads out.
Insert two small screws into the meat of the broken pipe as far as you dare (but not all the way) and use a screwdriver to lever between the two screws.

Alternatively, use a hacksaw blade to carefully cut 2 or 3 or 4 shallow grooves in the broken threads and try to break it out in pieces. In this second method you might end up cutting the internal threads a bit, but thread sealant should be able to take care of the problem.

Good luck!
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:33 AM   #55

Here is Dustin response which is lame:
I would like to start of by saying the ABS trap adapter requires a lot of force to break, the only other time we have seen a break like this is when the tank or pipe has been hit. It simply can not break like that by bouncing down the road, if this were the case we would have more trailers reporting the same issue if it were due to insufficient support. We have provided the parts as a good will gesture and will not be considering this a warranty claim. We can not assume the responsibility of this repair.
With the above being said, I have talked with our repair crew and they suggest to use a heat gun to soften the Sikaflex and this should release the threads enough to be spun out.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #56

from another Escape owner on Facebook:
Same thing happened to our 2019 21’. After pick up and a couple short trips. I believe these joints are under tension during assembly and glueing and snap off the tank. Escape will send you a repair kit. Some black pipe, fittings and a tube of caulk. I added a clamp so I could get everything glued up correctly and then add the clamp. You also will need a heat gun and a ez out to unthread the broken male threaded pipe out of the grey tank. Pretty fast repair once you gather all the parts.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #57

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Thought I would add a positive experience here I just had with Dustin.

I have to replace the access door to under the bed on my 21. Horse kicked it! Very lucky nothing but door damaged.

Dustin returned my call the next day and was very helpful. Sending me the door with instructions how to fix. Looks pretty simple. I thought it would be just he door to attach back at the hinge but it's the entire door assembly.

I didn't know whether the fasteners were screws or rivets so he is sending me both. Have since looked and they are screws.

This is not a warranty issue, of course but still a positive experience.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
From my 40 years experience in the trades , the weak point / spot with PVC /ABS male adapters is where the threads join the body of the fitting
The real cost in repairing the drain tank piping is in the labor / time not in the material
Assuming everyone has the talent , tool , expertise , ability , desire , and time to perform their own warranty work is a false assumption IMHO
When I repaired the black tank piping on my Escape , I had the tools on hand , the material and the knowledge , what I lacked was the desire
Repairing someone else’s mistakes never inspired me!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #59

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When we worked on automobiles in the 60’s we encountered numerous mistakes in construction and sometimes design or simply being too cheap to build cars without weak points. I think it’s always been that way to a degree with a lot of manufactured items. We would tear something apart, see the problem and reinforce, re-rig or re-route so it would not happen again. This was common and I’m sure there are many Escape owners who have done the same. When finished my Dad used to say “ If they can’t build her right in Detroit, we can take it apart and fix it so it’s right in Cedar Rapids.” It was partially a Can Do attitude, partially a statement of competency and finally a reference to his experience with “field expediency” from the European Theatre less than 20 years in the past.
In my life, it’s Fathers Day every day, Veterans Day every day and Memorial Day every day. I never forget. It’s guided my life for over 50 years.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I would like to add a positive note too. everytime I have contacted Escape, they have always promptly responded, including Dustin. most times they are very helpful, and I appreciate that. it's not realistic to think they are always going to make you happy IMO. compare them to your experience with other companies you do business with. I like to buy Toyota's, great vehicles IMO, but the dealerships are terrible. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote