Where to put a Micro in a new 19? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2023, 07:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 - 19F1
Where to put a Micro in a new 19?

When we got the large compressor refrigerator in our new 19, ETI said a micro would not fit above it. Has anyone found a small micro that would fit above the refrigerator? It looks like the microwave would have to be less than 10” high, but I haven’t been able to verify by opening up the vacant space above the refrigerator. Or has anyone found an alternate location? I’m looking at the following concept - mount a retractable/rotating TV mount with a shelf for a small microwave, on the wall left of the refrigerator. It would swing out of the way, above the bed when not in use, and would not be in the way for sleeping. It would obscure the view out the emergency exit window, but only partially. If the weight while traveling is any concern, it could be put in the tow vehicle when moving. We’ve really missed a micro in the few trips we’ve had so far and I want to see if anyone else came up with a solution.
homebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Typically ETI would put it under the cooktop if you select a larger fridge. If you got an oven, then ETI would not install a micro. Seems a removable swing out bracket could work depending on weight and installation factors.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
This low profile microwave is pretty close to 10” high. Chance it might fit.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-L...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 09-07-2023, 12:02 PM   #4

I found a better option for the microwave - only 9.5" tall and 21 pounds. I still don't know if that's short enough to fit above the refrigerator since I can't easily get into that area. Here's the microwave if anyone is interested - Galanz GLCMKZ07BER07. Only $80 and free shipping - almost cheaper than at Goodwill. I would really like to use the space above the fridge - it's just begging to be filled with something. I think I'm going to cut the front panel out no matter what - if the microwave can't fit, it will be used for storage somehow.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
In my 17a (no microwave) there's a dedicated outlet in that cupboard for it. What are you thinking for electricity to the microwave?
Old 09-07-2023, 09:39 PM   #6

Well, I went ahead and cut into the area above the refrigerator, thinking that even if there wasn't enough height for a small micro, I could use it for more storage or something. I measured the clearance - it would allow a 9.75" tall microwave! Immediately ordered the Galanz from Amazon - the only one that I found that could fit (9.5"). The power can be supplied from a 120 vac. outlet below the refrigerator. I may have to remove the little rubber feet under the microwave to get more clearance. The microwave was only $80 and I can return it if it doesn't fit. A microwave for the next camping trip!
Old 09-08-2023, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer View Post
Well, I went ahead and cut into the area above the refrigerator, thinking that even if there wasn't enough height for a small micro, I could use it for more storage or something. I measured the clearance - it would allow a 9.75" tall microwave! Immediately ordered the Galanz from Amazon - the only one that I found that could fit (9.5"). The power can be supplied from a 120 vac. outlet below the refrigerator. I may have to remove the little rubber feet under the microwave to get more clearance. The microwave was only $80 and I can return it if it doesn't fit. A microwave for the next camping trip!
Please share some pictures.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 E19
Previous owners of my 2012 19' didn't have a microwave, either. I bought an Insignia retro unit from Best Buy. I think my space is a little bit taller than yours, though.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1396.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	70353
Old 09-09-2023, 09:51 PM   #9

I'm convinced the micro will fit, although it hasn't arrived yet - The trim around the sides will make it look good and hold it in place. Now my concern is where to get the 120 vac. from. There's an outlet near the floor that I planned to run some wires from, but I can't get the cover off - no screw like I'm familiar with, and I can't get to the back of it without cutting out more paneling. Any suggestions for how to get into the outlet or get120 vac to the micro above the refrigeraor?
Old 09-09-2023, 11:15 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
The cover is held on by a couple friction tabs. It should just pull off, be gentle but firm.
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Have you looked in the cabinet where they would have installed a micro wave had you ordered one?

Here is a picture of the back of the cover plate and the plug in our trailer.
occer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
Have you looked in the cabinet where they would have installed a micro wave had you ordered one?
No such space. The OP said he cut into the panel above the larger stock fridge where Escape said a microwave was not possible to install.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:54 AM   #12

Start of my Microwave installation

Thanks occer- I assumed that the outlet cover was like that, but I’ve broken stuff in the past with my assumptions. I’ll give it a try.
It’s not that I didn’t order a micro from ETI - they cancelled my order because of the larger compressor refrigerator they had to substitute due to supply issues, that location was empty and boarded up. So I’m going to have to get creative with trim around the microwave - see the picture. I cut an inspection hatch - you can see the reflective and foam insulation in the back; I’m pleased with the unseen areas that show the quality of workmanship. The top of the refrigerator inside is only about 10 inches from the raw fiberglass roof of the camper. The microwave (arriving tomorrow) is 9.5 inches tall. It should work but I’ll need to lock it down so it doesn’t move, and frame it so just the face is poking out.
After I get the microwave and verify that it will fit, I’ll cut open up the cabinet some more and take more pictures, everyone can see what’s above and behind the refrigerator. I really like the compressor refrigerator because it doesn’t need the two large hatches cut out of the side of the trailer - much cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0370.jpg  
Old 09-10-2023, 11:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's a reason there's no cupboard above the refrigerator. That's the chimney for moving hot air up and out. Oh dear.....
With a compressor fridge as long as it’s not completely blocked allowing heat to build up it will be fine. The airflow pattern is no where near as critical as an absorption fridge.
Old 09-10-2023, 12:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I don't want to rain on your parade...but you may want to take a look at the installation instructions in the booklet that's linked on the Amazon site. From what I found it requires a grounded outlet with fuse or circuit breaker. The booklet says it requires 7.87 inches clearance above and 1.97 inches on each side. It also says don't remove the feet.

Maybe you can investigate another spot? Change the wardrobe door into two doors with the microwave having its own space/door on the top?

You've made a big investment in your trailer and I would be sad to know your microwave installation caused a fire or endangered your family. I hope you can find something that works out.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:03 PM   #15

Correct, Rubicon327. RV owners will begin to understand the difference (huge, in my opinion) between the new compressor refrigerators and absorption refrigerators. Both have to 'reject heat' in order to cool the inside. Mine rejects the heat into the RV, under the freezer drawer - that's where the compressor is, just like most home refrigerators. The whole refrigerator compartment is insulated and foam sealed from the outside, so all the heat that comes out of the refrigerator goes into the RV. The heat rejected is much lower, since it doesn't use a small propane flame. It may be noisier than the absorption type, but it's extremely low. The power converter and the 1500 w. inverter both have fans that are louder than the refrigerator. The downside, if there is one, is that propane use goes way down, and electricity use goes up. This is one of the reasons I asked ETI to delete the furnace - the refrigerator puts a small amount of heat into the RV, which makes the amount of heat required from the Dickinson heater (which is what my other major modification was about) a little bit less. Sorry for the long dissertation, but it's a bad habit of mine.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:40 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
With a compressor fridge as long as it’s not completely blocked allowing heat to build up it will be fine. The airflow pattern is no where near as critical as an absorption fridge.
Yeah, you responded before I could delete my post . I re-read the original post and saw it was a compressor fridge. I don't think I had enough coffee before I posted....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 08:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I don't want to rain on your parade...but you may want to take a look at the installation instructions in the booklet that's linked on the Amazon site. From what I found it requires a grounded outlet with fuse or circuit breaker. The booklet says it requires 7.87 inches clearance above and 1.97 inches on each side. It also says don't remove the feet.

Maybe you can investigate another spot? Change the wardrobe door into two doors with the microwave having its own space/door on the top?

You've made a big investment in your trailer and I would be sad to know your microwave installation caused a fire or endangered your family. I hope you can find something that works out.
I doubt it would cause a fire. More likely the lack of surround space will inhibit the microwave's exhaust airflow and shorten its life substantially.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:51 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
The clearance requirements of microwaves is for ventilation. Microwaves blow a lot of air through their cabinets to keep the electronics cool and disperse water vapor in the cooking chamber. Homebrewer could install a large ventilation vent on the left side of the cabinet which would probably be sufficient to heat a cup of coffee or soup, but not sufficient for a 10-minute run.
I really like my Norcold compressor refrigerator. I think you'll like yours, too.
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:57 PM   #19

Microwave Complete!

I was able to run a wire from the outlet below the refrigerator, up to the area where I wanted to locate the micro. Then I mounted an outlet near the back of the cabinet. When the microwave arrived from Amazon, I confirmed all the dimensions and cut out the rest of the front plywood. The microwave fits nicely side-to-side and top-to-bottom, so it won't bounce around or move backwards and forwards while towing. I reused pieces of the trim that I pulled off, to make it look better. There's still gaps for air flow on the bottom and sides. If I ever need to take the microwave back out for any reason, the trim can easily be removed and replaced. The microwave is "rated" at 700 watts, but that's the input to the food item being heated - it actually draws about 1100 watts, so if some other 120 vac appliance is being used, you could trip the inverter, but as long as you're aware of this limit, it won't cause a problem. Also, note that the inverter output has a GFCI - it tripped on me once during this project and initially I couldn't figure out why I didn't have 120 volt power. The red light on the GO-POWER switch was lit, but no power. I pushed the reset button on the inverter and all was good - lesson learned. I also snuck in a picture of the waste basket drawer I made under the refrigerator, next to the outlet where the I got the power from - an earlier modification that has been very handy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0373.jpg   IMG_0382.jpg   IMG_0383.jpg   IMG_0379.jpg   IMG_0375.jpg  

IMG_0380.jpg  
Old 09-12-2023, 04:17 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
That looks great, very good job.
occer is online now   Reply With Quote