Winterization Mode - Batteries Removed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I tire of the pressure these off topic discussions create.
If you bring it back on topic you will feel recharged !
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
If anyone is winterizing their 5.0 TA (or 2017 21')I would like to know the inside height of the area where the battery is stored. I'm trying to figure out what the tallest AGM battery I can put in one is.
(Did this bring it back on topic?)
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not sure what you mean by "axle jack", but you aren't supposed to jack on the axle.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
If anyone is winterizing their 5.0 TA (or 2017 21')I would like to know the inside height of the area where the battery is stored. I'm trying to figure out what the tallest AGM battery I can put in one is.
(Did this bring it back on topic?)
From the floor to the underside of the lid, on a 2014, is 17.5" or 444 mm.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Thank You. That is taller than I thought. Hope the 2017 model is the same or close.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
On the subject of batteries, I have had to add a little distilled water both this spring and this fall. Not much but still they needed a little. I looked at those batteries a year ago and decided that they were going to winter in the trailer. Also don't neglect the lug nuts. In going over them with the torque wrench set at 95#, one moved. A few years ago, I had to dodge a tire that came off a trailer as it made a turn. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Loren
I'm a big fan of checklists, broken down by each "system" that needs attention and personalized by each owner according to personal preferences, local needs according to conditions expected and generally what gets the job done in a timely fashion. When I came up in the maintenance world things were simpler but no less important. The old boys kept most of this in their head. Today the checklist is the way to go for me and I'm an old boy now.
Notice I left out "good"
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Thank You. That is taller than I thought. Hope the 2017 model is the same or close.
It might be as much as three inches taller:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Although the step up in the floor is new, the step was always there in the frame (of every Escape model) and so the floor under the seats has always been three inches higher than the main floor level. In the 21' and 5.0TA before the new-this-year design, the floor in the dinette footspace (and only that part) was down at the main floor level, by being dropped down between the rear section of the frame rails.

With the step up in the dinette footspace of the new design, are the dinette seats (of the 21' and presumably the coming 5.0TA) taller than before? This would help available height for the battery case.
No one answered this question in the original thread. If a new-style 21' owner could check the height, it would likely provide a good indication of the height in a new-style (2017) 5.0TA as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #29

Trailer: Excited new owner of a gently broken in 2016 Escape 21
Newbie battery questions

We just became the excited owners of a gently broken 2016 21'. In getting oriented to our "stuff", I found that the battery box was tilted, pulled away from the original location and not secure. I talked to the Escape folks (Tammy) I think after sending pictures Roger wrote me back, telling me to remove the batteries to re-secure the box to the floor. How do I remove the batteries? Are there detailed instructions online that I can access? I have lot's of information the previous owner passed on to us, but nothing about batteries. I'm assuming this is generic basic info most owners know, but as a newbie and someone who has only tent camped, I am totally lost.
yologals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #30

Take pictures before you remove them so you can refer to the pix when you are trying to put it back together.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, good advice to take pictures of the wiring. the batteries are heavy. Another suggestion is to position the box where you want and use strips of wood to anchor the box. Otherwise remove each battery and anchor the box and reinstall.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Since the 21 batteries are interior it is important that the battery box hasn't been damaged and is still capable of completely sealing off from the inside air with the vent hose properly hooked up. Without pics of the current situation it is hard to tell if the box has damage or just needs to be reset properly.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #33

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologals View Post
We just became the excited owners of a gently broken 2016 21'. In getting oriented to our "stuff", I found that the battery box was tilted, pulled away from the original location and not secure. I talked to the Escape folks (Tammy) I think after sending pictures Roger wrote me back, telling me to remove the batteries to re-secure the box to the floor. How do I remove the batteries? Are there detailed instructions online that I can access? I have lot's of information the previous owner passed on to us, but nothing about batteries. I'm assuming this is generic basic info most owners know, but as a newbie and someone who has only tent camped, I am totally lost.
since the batteries are internal on the 21 you might also consider looking into AGM battery replacements over time..while expensive they do offer advantages, especially for installation inside a trailer with the occupants.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:19 PM   #34

Trailer: Excited new owner of a gently broken in 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Since the 21 batteries are interior it is important that the battery box hasn't been damaged and is still capable of completely sealing off from the inside air with the vent hose properly hooked up. Without pics of the current situation it is hard to tell if the box has damage or just needs to be reset properly.
Good points. When I remove the batteries to secure the box, I'll make sure to check the box out for damage. The side and top do no appear to be damaged, but haven't seen the bottom yet. I am replacing the vent hose this weekend, because it is not intact.
yologals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologals View Post
Welcome to the Escape club.

Did you ask Escape if you have the 2-year warranty? A little late as you needed to ask before you bought but maybe you did. Some people have had it and some not.

Those batteries are each over 60 lbs. They also need the proper venting and since that is a problem, you might have someone else do it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
AFAIK, the warranty does not transfer from one owner to another, only applies to original owner.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Before you try to lift the batteries you might get a battery lifting strap like this:
They hook onto the battery posts and make it much easier to lift.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Before you try to lift the batteries you might get a battery lifting strap like this:
They hook onto the battery posts and make it much easier to lift.
Those straps are for batteries with automotive-style plain posts, not the threaded studs used on most deep-cycle batteries (including, I believe, the Interstate GC2-XHD in the version used by Escape). I wouldn't want to lift a battery by the threaded studs, and I certainly wouldn't want the teeth of this sort of device digging into them.

I note that the web page selling this strap shows the teeth gripping the plain lead portion of a combined post style of terminal - that might be okay, since it doesn't use the threaded stud.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen warnings from battery manufacturers against lifting them by the posts, although I don't have a reference handy at the moment so I may be mistaken, and it does make sense that the terminals are directly connected to the lead plates... although only a few of those plates.

If the battery has lifting tabs, a lift strap that hooks into the tabs would be better. I have a pair of Interstate GC2-sized 6-volt batteries and they have these tabs (and threaded posts)... but they are the older U2200 UTL model (which I believe Escape used), rather than the current GC2-XHD.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Please do not use a battery lift strap that attaches at the terminals. The terminals are not designed for that and the weight from the battery as you lift may damage those terminals. They can actually be twisted or pulled out. Use a tool designed to lift at the case, like this Kastar B500 Heavy Duty Battery Carrier. The more weight the tighter the grip.
Attached Thumbnails
BatteryLiftCarrier.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #40

Or, if replacing, get Trojan.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 12.21.16 PM.png