wow- solar blew off! - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #61

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I was a bit disappointed when this item was posted. I guess I thought that after the initial panels flying off and the ETI brackets going out that the situation was dealt with and over. It's obvious that there are still units out there with panels with the potential to detach and do catastrophic injuries to any occupants of a following vehicle.

I don't really think ETI supporters or bashers trading comments is going to help the issue. Since most Escape owners seem to like chatting with other owners they meet while travelling I'm going to make a point of asking if they're aware of the solar panel issue and if their panels are bolted on. Seems like a reasonable thing to do and if others do it and it prevents one more panel from flying off and putting lives at risk then it seems like a worthwhile effort.

Ron
I agreed with Jim's (CPAHarley) post, and I agree with Ron's. I was never comfortable with the solar panel only being held by adhesive, and I installed the fix as soon as I received it. I had an acquaintance assist me as I perceived it as a two person job. I do not understand anyone's aversion to do what is reasonable and prudent to ensure the safety of others with whom they share the road. "I don't want to put additional holes in the fiberglass" is an excuse that doesn't fly with me. Like all the holes that are already there, they can be sealed. And as far as the ETI bashers are concerned, Reace quickly realized a fix was necessary and (I'm sure) at great expense, sent a fix to all affected customers. That is in comparison to a major corporation which will remain nameless and with far greater assets than ETI that chose not to address a defective switch, which allegedly led to multiple, unnecessary deaths. I can tell you that if one of my loved ones were injured or killed by the actions of another when that person knew there was a potential defect and intentionally failed to address it, I would unleash a team of lawyers to go after them for everything they owned, and that doesn't preclude the possibility, given the circumstances, they could be charged with negligent homicide. And I don't think I am alone in my opinion. As has already been stated, ALL the details will come forth in any pre-trial investigation. If someone is still holding out, for the sake of everyone else on the road, please fix the damn problem.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Am fixing "the dang problem"- however am doing it at AM Solar. Have an appointment there later this month. Maybe I will take the panel off if that offers any relief.

There are in my opinion more sanctimonious folks here than "negative" ones, which is why many don't bother here.

BTW- we still love the trailer despite several irritating problems we've had over the last 2.5 years. Our 2010 17B was 3 years old when we bought it and the original owner had zero defects and we had none for the 10 months we owned it. We've received three referral checks and still show the trailer. I do not have any issues with Escape and wish them all the best. Just wish some of you were not so defensive!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Argument threads. Ugh. There's enough of that over at FGRV.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Argument threads. Ugh. There's enough of that over at FGRV.
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Lot's of fussing and ugliness at the Facebook groups as well lately.
We seem to have avoided that so far at Scamp Owners International, but I guess they could start fussing any day now.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #65

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Rossue My invoice from Am Solar did not break it down to know just the panel install cost. The total cost for 2 panels, charge controller, remote monitor, inverter, etc was $2800 about 50/50 parts labor. They did comment that the run from the roof junction box down behind the refer to the controller was a tough run. Meaning " took a long time" The estimates were spot on.

Pat The " spacer" you see is just the raised center section of the trailer, and with the curved top is why the center " touches" and there is space at the opposite ends.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
Rossue My invoice from Am Solar did not break it down to know just the panel install cost. The total cost for 2 panels, charge controller, remote monitor, inverter, etc was $2800 about 50/50 parts labor. They did comment that the run from the roof junction box down behind the refer to the controller was a tough run. Meaning " took a long time" The estimates were spot on.

Pat The " spacer" you see is just the raised center section of the trailer, and with the curved top is why the center " touches" and there is space at the opposite ends.
Craig I see where it touches in center . It looks like a little piece of foam right there in the center , maybe attached to panel ? Very neat install . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #67

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
From here AM Solar looks like the best option for solar.
Thanks to all for the information on and pictures of their installs.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #68

Trailer: wannabe
I'm looking at the 120 watt portable solar panel thru go power, it plug right into your 7 pin
Trailer connection, and you can place it anywhere

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
bigalaska2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #69

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Escape first used VHB tape --- and someone's panel blew off.
There are so many requirements for VHB tape and also epoxy, and as I believe Charlie said, they can work well and you still lose the panel.

I am glad to have bolts. If you bought your Escape used, give ETI your contact info for such recalls. And you can get the bolts if needed.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #70

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Am fixing "the dang problem"- however am doing it at AM Solar. Have an appointment there later this month. Maybe I will take the panel off if that offers any relief.

There are in my opinion more sanctimonious folks here than "negative" ones, which is why many don't bother here.

BTW- we still love the trailer despite several irritating problems we've had over the last 2.5 years. Our 2010 17B was 3 years old when we bought it and the original owner had zero defects and we had none for the 10 months we owned it. We've received three referral checks and still show the trailer. I do not have any issues with Escape and wish them all the best. Just wish some of you were not so defensive!
Look at you that is a fast appointment ! Good for you ! Can't wait to see your install . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:58 PM   #71

Ross, looking forward to seeing the solar retrofit on your trailer, they do excellent work and you'll see some cutting edge stuff when you head up there for the install.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #72

Trailer: Looking
Newbie here, so pls excuse a stupid question, but do the solar panels charge the batteries while underway, or is that done from the TV.
If only used while parked, would a portable unit as mentioned by a previous poster be more practical?
FredL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I contacted ETI about bolting my panel down. Since I will be in the area they told me to make an appointment after the rally. I will, as I'm not going to drill the roof myself.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I contacted ETI about bolting my panel down. Since I will be in the area they told me to make an appointment after the rally. I will, as I'm not going to drill the roof myself.
I am supposing that you were there after the recall and I can't even believe that they did not do that.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredL View Post
Newbie here, so pls excuse a stupid question, but do the solar panels charge the batteries while underway, or is that done from the TV.
If only used while parked, would a portable unit as mentioned by a previous poster be more practical?
Portable units are very practical and you can save money. The question is whether you want to bother with it and deal more with it possibly being stolen, and how to transport. It also depends upon your style of camping, how much and where, how handy you are, how much money you want to give to ETI and more. Many have a portable in addition to rooftop.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
That's a great solution, Mike. They'll do it up right for you and it will be done.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #77

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #78

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
The installed panel is automatic in that it will charge the batteries whenever there is light shining on it. It works while driving, sitting, in storage, etc. however since it isn't "pointed" at the sun it won't generate as much power as an equal portable panel angled toward the sun and if you are parked under a canopy of trees providing shade it will generate much less power.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #79
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Solar adds to charging by the tow when underway.

The problem with portable units is that they are portable unless you figure out a security scheme. Also kind of bulky to store. My rooftop unit does fine.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:31 AM   #80

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
My rooftop unit does fine.
I think it is very dependent on when and where one camps. My roof top unit struggled in the winter months in the PNW so I supplement it with a portable unit (for a total of 180 watts). Even then it's a touch-and-go situation and I have ended up moving to a powered site on occasion.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote