Towing a 21 with the Tundra 4.6L V-8 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Here is a pic of my window sticker showing what was included on the 2013 4.6 tow package.
Chuck
Got the same package on my 2012 4.6
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #62

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
With our full size truck I call it a hog around town, but the Queen Mary of the highway. But then it was bought for trips and just to tow the trailer. Guess I better drive it one of these days as it's been sitting for 6 weeks. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #63

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I belive so when they changed the body

But do you have the SR5 upgrade package with buckets, center console, 38 Gallon tank, ect? Maybe it's just not the 38 Gallon tank the way it reads.
I have the SR5 package on my 4.6 it includes, better radio, extra chrome, lumbar support, heated mirrors, oh a bunch of stuff. I do have the bench front seat and column shift, at my request. Because my hips can't do bucket seats and I feel that a floor shifter takes up to much useable space. We have a 4 pocket organizer in that space with 2 cup holders. Also the 38 gal tank was an option that I opted out of. Because of injurys sustained in the Military to my lower body, I have to stop bout every hundred miles and walk around anyways. I usually gas up every second stop, a little under half a tank. I have to plan our night stops for 300 miles or less.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #64

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&R View Post
Are those figures what the computer is telling you or what you calculated by hand? The computer in my 2015 Tundra 5.7 is typically optimistic by about 2 mpg compared to hand calculation.

The 11.9 (hand calculated) is pretty well spot with what I get in the passes of the Pacific Northwest with my 5.7. I've never towed for an entire tank on the flats to know what I would get in a tank doing so.

When we bought our Tundra in Feb. 2015 there was only a (rated) 1 mpg difference between the 4.6 & 5.7. Around my parts it was hard to even find a 4.6 out there. When towing and having the Tow/Haul mode engaged I have to be careful to not stab the gas pedal too hard as it's hard on the neck.

IMO the 5.7 (& likely 4.6) is way overkill (from a HP & torque perspective) for anything Escape has to offer .
[/url]
On the way out I kept track and calculated by hand checking the on board computer. It was with in 4 tenths of the computer. Some where along the way, on the way home, I said to heck with it cause it was so close. So refer to the numbers as computer read out.
I agree with you that either Tundra is most likely over kill for any Escape. We are happy with its performance . Most of my full size pick-ups have been six cylinders except for one "85" chevy with a 305 in it. And if you look it up, it had a heck of a lot less HP & Torque than the 4.6L Tundra. So its an up grade for me.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #65

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Because of injurys sustained in the Military to my lower body, I have to stop bout every hundred miles and walk around anyway
John, sorry to hear of your issue while serving our country. I appreciate your service. God bless.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
towing mirrors

On the Tundra, are the standard mirrors sufficiently spaced to see all the way back in the lanes on either side of an Escape 21? I plan to get the rear view camera for the traffic directly behind me.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #67

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
On the Tundra, are the standard mirrors sufficiently spaced to see all the way back in the lanes on either side of an Escape 21? I plan to get the rear view camera for the traffic directly behind me.
They worked just fine for me on the 3 hour drive from Sumas to Seatac when I picked up our trailer in November. Haven't driven it since, but I expect it'll be the same on all other trips.

I also have the rear view camera, which was kind of distracting at times as I wasn't used to it.

We got the standard mirrors as Dirk wanted the heated ones, as opposed to getting the towing mirrors. I was fine with that decision as I figured we could add additional mirrors, if need be. Don't see the need for 'em.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:13 PM   #68

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I plan to get the rear view camera for the traffic directly behind me.
What's your plan for the traffic directly behind you?
If you are in an accident, rear ending the car in front of you, or hitting a cyclist, don't tell the insurance company or the cops that you were looking at the monitor.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What's your plan for the traffic directly behind you?
If you are in an accident, rear ending the car in front of you, or hitting a cyclist, don't tell the insurance company or the cops that you were looking at the monitor.
I think it is important to know what the traffic is all the way around the vehicle. When I see someone tail-gating me I am extra cautious when braking and turn on my turn signal extra early.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #70

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Ahh, but, you are also raising your blood-pressure and taking your eyes off the road ahead.
I made the mistake of telling my insurer that I was checking my rear-view mirror when I hit a vehicle exiting a parking lot against the arrows painted on the pavement. So, although he was going the wrong way, I wasn't watching the road. My fault.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:12 AM   #71

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
I have the Same Tundra. I did get the slip on Tow mirrors after a few trips. With those I can see extremely well. I have the back up camera too but only use it when backing into my campsite.

The slip on mirrors give that extra view on sides back to the bumper and make me feel more comfortable and were much cheaper than replacing the stock mirrors with toyota tow mirrors.
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:47 AM   #72

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
I installed the OEM Toyota towing mirrors on our Tundra. They work great towing the 21 in the retracted position. Extended, you get an even better view behind the trailer. BTW, they are heated.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:23 PM   #73

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I installed the OEM Toyota towing mirrors on our Tundra. They work great towing the 21 in the retracted position. Extended, you get an even better view behind the trailer. BTW, they are heated.
Huh! For our 2017 we were told they weren't heated (the towing mirrors). Did you get one of the super whoopie versions? We got the SR5/TRD version.

Well, crap!
Old 01-31-2017, 01:18 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Huh! For our 2017 we were told they weren't heated (the towing mirrors). Did you get one of the super whoopie versions? We got the SR5/TRD version.

Well, crap!
No, I got the same model (2015 SR5 / TRD). The towing mirrors with the integrated heat and turn signal, manual fold, and manual extension are available both from Toyota or 3rd party. I installed the OEM Toyota mirrors and they were plug & play. I really like them.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #75

Well, thanks for the info on the mirrors. Will have to check that out. I wasn't super impressed with our salesman anyway and this doubly confirms it.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #76
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
I bought aftermarket tow mirrors for my 2015 as I think they were over a hundred bucks less than OEM. They have a little vibration but I think even OEM mirrors would likely have some at full extension. If I was to do it over again I'd probably buy aftermarket again.

https://www.1aauto.com/2015-toyota-t...-c/2015-407-23

I always tow with them extended and never towed with the sport mirrors so I can't compare.
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #77

Tundra hitch setup

Using your Tundra to tow the 21, do you use a standard ball hitch without anti-sway control, or something more elaborate? Have you towed with different arrangements? Which works best?
Old 02-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #78

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Using your Tundra to tow the 21, do you use a standard ball hitch without anti-sway control, or something more elaborate? Have you towed with different arrangements? Which works best?
You will get lots of opinions on this. We have used both but we prefer the ride using a WDH. On short trips around home we don't use it. The truck don't need a WDH it just makes everything feel connected and gives less bounce.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #79

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Another opinion: I have an Andersen WDH and stopped using it when I went to the 2012 Toyota Sequoia last fall. My Sequoia has aftermarket rear air shocks that solved the sag problem on my 2007. The tow packaged on the 2012 includes a "Trailer Sway Control". The tow mode button was an excellent addition.

I agree the WDH makes the trailer and tow vehicle seem as one. I am not sure how that translates into anything significant. Does in make it safer? Will it stop faster? Rather it feels better. Can't measure or quantify that. On the other hand they can be a pain. One more maintenance point and several more steps to hitching and unhitching.

My take on WDH is, they are so readily available and so easy to install that it is better left until after you have driven your trailer for 1,000 miles. I do not recall if you gave your tow capacity but I believe it is probably over 7,000 lbs, there is not a safety factor here.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #80

We use the Andersen WDH with our Tundra / 21 combination and really like it.