Escape numbers - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #101

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Myron,
Your trailer is the 785th trailer made by Escape. The first 21’s were ordered in June of 2013. Reece wanted to “get them out there” his words and sold around a dozen at an introductory price the same as the 19 base price. Our 21 is one of the those introductory 21s. It is number 766. At the rally last year I talked to #3 and #5 and had previously corresponded with #7. Reece was available one night in the gathering darkness and gave a couple of us the story and indicated that we had the numbers we believed to be correct and the rationale for where we fell. So Apparently Escape molded up several 21s in a row and then jumped back to making 19s, 17s, TAs and 21s including yours, about 20 after ours. Make Sense?
Iowa Dave
Old 01-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #102

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Thanks for that, Pat. So, the last 3 of the VIN indicates when the trailer left the production line.
Yes for us anyway because they hadn’t reached 1000 yet . I think after 1000 trailers they did it differently but for us that’s our number . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #103

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I knew we were vintage guys, guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Quartzite1A.jpg  
Old 01-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #104

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Now, being really curious and unable to determine from my paperwork what number made is my 19, I have to ask. What is my trailer's' manufacturing number?

Ordered 14 May 13, Received 19 Sep 13.
QAI Nameplate is Q00117138.
VIN: 2E9TF6B23DC068785.
A breakdown:
2E9 = World Manufacturer Identifier for Canadian small manufacturers with name starting with "E"
TF6B2 = Vehicle Descriptor for the 19' model
3 = check digit
D = Model Year 2013
C = Plant Code for Chilliwack factory
068 = Escape Trailer Industries
785 = serial number or Production Number

Since this trailer was built before the serial number "wrapped" at 999, it is the 785th Escape built (plus or minus minor production quirks such as what Dave described).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #105

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'll have to find my 2014 E21 build sheet, it was #12 of the introductory 21 units. Curious now....
Old 01-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #106

Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'll have to find my 2014 E21 build sheet, it was #12 of the introductory 21 units. Curious now....
Hi Jim
Did you get the introductory base price? Reece was not real sure quite how many got ordered
Under the deal till they cut it off. He said they built three, one for a customer sight unseen, one for I think he said a cousin or nephew at any rate a relative and his demo. They were not necessarily considered the first 10. He said the two private owners still had theirs and his demo was sold “out of the factory”. Our 21 has a hot and cold low point drain which I use to drop the trailer water in the fall but don’t trust them to drain it all as I think there was a problem with water perching in the toilet flush valve. People see them every once in a while and ask me about them.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #107

Yes, I got the intro price which was the same as the E19 and a free front box to boot....I just found my paperwork-vin#831. Base price $25,500 less $1500 intro price=$24,000, my bad I had to pay for the front box. N/C for toilet cut off, upgrade marker to led, insulate door and door window, cut mattress 2" smaller, amber lens on all exterior lights, cubby storage.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #108

Vintage

Quote:
I knew we were vintage guys, guys.
Hi Myron
Yeah, vintage, I like that. I’ve been called a few names in my day to the degree that Old guy, geezer, and swayback don’t phase me. Vintage sounds complimentary. I have patina and provenance, and t shirts older than any millennial. When a young checkout girl cards me for
beer, I show her a draft card. Then she asks for a drivers license, I tell her I lost it in a drunk driving rap and she doesn’t know what to do. As I leave with my beer I think I’ve heard “ some crazy old b........d.” being whispered to the adjacent checkout person. Don’t matter as long as I have my sixer. Embrace aging, it beats the alternative.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #109

my complete vin# 2E9TF6C5XEC068831
Old 01-04-2020, 12:02 AM   #110

Quote:
my complete vin# 2E9TF6C5XEC068831
Similar breakdown:
2E9 = World Manufacturer Identifier for Canadian small manufacturers with name starting with "E"
TF6C5 = Vehicle Descriptor: this describes the model, and is "TF6B5" for all of the other 21' and 5.0TA models (of any year) that I have seen
X = check digit
E = Model Year 2014
831 = serial number or Production Number

Since this trailer was built before the serial number "wrapped" at 999, it is the 831st Escape built (plus or minus minor production quirks such as what Dave described)
Old 01-04-2020, 10:07 AM   #111

Thank you Brian, how about deciphering my current vin# 2E9TF6B55KC068216
Old 01-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #112

Quote:
Thank you Brian, how about deciphering my current vin# 2E9TF6B55KC068216
Similar breakdown:
TF6B5 = Vehicle Descriptor for the 21' and 5.0TA models (i.e. everything 88" wide)
5 = check digit
K = Model Year 2019
216 = serial number or Production Number

Since this trailer was built in the era of serial number starting at 1 each year, it is the 216th Escape built (plus or minus minor production quirks) in the 2019 model year (since roughly early December 2018).
Old 01-04-2020, 02:39 PM   #113

Thanks Brian, so it appears Escape is on the way to producing about 500 units per year using these numbers. Not bad for a Mom and Pop business start over 30+ years...on edit, Osoyoos may be too small in a couple of years.....
Old 01-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #114

Quote:
Thanks Brian, so it appears Escape is on the way to producing about 500 units per year using these numbers.
Although this topic started with Escape's announcement of 440 trailers built in 2019, the production rate has been at least close to 400 per year since the expansion was completed.

Not only is the 500 per year rate about what we would ideally expect from the two-per-working-day production system, it is also significant to the VIN. If they exceed 500 per year, they'll need to get their own World Manufacturer Identifier (which will start with "2", if they stay in Canada), and all of the last six characters will become available for the serial number portion (because the "068" will no longer be used to identify the manufacturer).

I don't know if there are other regulatory consequences to higher production, other than the administrative detail fo the VIN coding. For motor vehicles, there are some exemptions for small enough manufacturers, but there probably isn't anything relevant to trailers.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #115

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For motor vehicles, there are some exemptions for small enough manufacturers, but there probably isn't anything relevant to trailers.
Nothing that helps my neighbor who manufacturers perfect replicas of a German sports car. In Canada they can only be sold and titled as "Ubuilt", a bit of a downer; in the US they can be titled as replicas.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Nothing that helps my neighbor who manufacturers perfect replicas of a German sports car. In Canada they can only be sold and titled as "Ubuilt", a bit of a downer; in the US they can be titled as replicas.
The only example that I can think of offhand applies only in the U.S., and is primarily for "replica" manufacturers making less than 300 per year. There may not be any small-manufacturer advantage in Canada, and probably none at all for trailers, unless there are some administrative exemptions (rather than exemptions from the safety and emissions standards and testing that the replica doesn't meet).

I think I know which replica you're referring to; I don't know if I would call that car a "perfect replica"... perhaps a replica body with similar but modern mechanicals and a very different tube frame.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #117

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Intermeccanica?
https://intermeccanica.com/athird.net/our-vehicles
Old 01-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #118

You guys are too clever. OK, maybe "perfect" isn't the right word but let me put it this way. If you were at a car show standing beside one with an original 356 beside it you would be hard pressed to know which was which. The rules regarding replicas do allow for updating the mechanical parts. Who wants to drive a car with 1940's technology.

At any rate Canada is much more restrictive than the US, which, given the vast array of legislation regarding the automotive industry, is surprising. Definitely no program in place that helps small manufactures.

I'm waiting for him to bring home a Solo for me to test drive. Should be a blast.

Ron
Old 01-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That's what I assumed.

Quote:
OK, maybe "perfect" isn't the right word but let me put it this way. If you were at a car show standing beside one with an original 356 beside it you would be hard pressed to know which was which. The rules regarding replicas do allow for updating the mechanical parts. Who wants to drive a car with 1940's technology.
I agree.

But I would know which was which, because I always look underneath if I can.

Quote:
At any rate Canada is much more restrictive than the US, which, given the vast array of legislation regarding the automotive industry, is surprising. Definitely no program in place that helps small manufactures.
Yes, but the U.S. difference is just one program, which only helps replica builders. Canada hasn't implemented a program for the few companies (perhaps only this one) which would benefit, which doesn't surprise me. Anyway, probably nothing for trailer builders, so it won't be a big transition when Escape goes over 500 per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm waiting for him to bring home a Solo for me to test drive. Should be a blast.
The Solo (their electric single-seater) is a three-wheeler. After a big publicity push filled with promises that it would soon be available, I asked Electrameccania how it would be classified in Alberta, because three-wheelers are an interesting regulatory challenge, particularly in the area of helmet requirements. In the response from Kroll (the Electrameccania lead, not the Intermeccania owner) it was clear that he didn't know, and he told me to wait until the cars were actually delivered. Well, that's never going to happen unless there are committed buyers, and it's likely no one will commit if they don't know what they're going to get. The way many small companies are run, it's not surprising that they have difficulty with government regulations. By the way, that was three years ago, and the Solo still isn't being delivered.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:17 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

But I would know which was which, because I always look underneath if I can.

That's funny. I was parked at Timmies with my lime green little car. I'm used to folks coming up to the car and posing for selfies etc. with it. But one guy came up, lay down on the pavement looking at the rear suspension. That's one way to tell a car guy.

The Solo (their electric single-seater) is a three-wheeler. After a big publicity push filled with promises that it would soon be available, I asked Electrameccania how it would be classified in Alberta, because three-wheelers are an interesting regulatory challenge, particularly in the area of helmet requirements. In the response from Kroll (the Electrameccania lead, not the Intermeccania owner) it was clear that he didn't know, and he told me to wait until the cars were actually delivered. Well, that's never going to happen unless there are committed buyers, and it's likely no one will commit if they don't know what they're going to get. The way many small companies are run, it's not surprising that they have difficulty with government regulations. By the way, that was three years ago, and the Solo still isn't being delivered.
Jerry Kroll isn't the CEO anymore. They are in production in China now and the market is US based and that's where they're being sold. Restrictive requirements in Canada make it unlikely that it'll be on the open market here.

Ron