Is it just me? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2024, 03:07 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Howdy from AZ

I spent a winter in Alaska as a bush pilot. I know about being cold.
Ken in AZ
Drives1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 03:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drives1937 View Post
I spent a winter in Alaska as a bush pilot. I know about being cold.
Ken in AZ
Hi: Drives1937... We're close to the same latitude as northern California in S. wet Ontario but IMHO close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, and bad breath!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 09:13 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
My preference would be to never see the white stuff again! The thought of camping in the cold and snow does nothing for me. My favorite sport is road/gravel cycling, which is not exactly a winter-friendly activity.

I can't wait until I'm in a position where I can afford to excuse myself from the workforce during the winter season, hitch up the E19, load my road bike, and head to Mexico for 3 months or so.
Living in Calgary as well, you must also ski, skate, toboggan snowshoe and other fun winter stuff. Growing up in Alberta I have learned to appreciate all the seasons as they each highlight the others.

The one weather thing I do not like is extremely hot stuff. Mexico and the southern US is fine in the winter and we have spent a few months a couple times down there with our Escape, though The Baja only once for 4 weeks of it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 02:34 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
You said it Jim, we're looking forward to out trip to SW USA!
marsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 04:52 PM   #25

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Living in Calgary as well, you must also ski, skate, toboggan snowshoe and other fun winter stuff. Growing up in Alberta I have learned to appreciate all the seasons as they each highlight the others.
I'm one of the very few Canadians who has never learned how to skate or ski. Outside of curling back in high school, I've never been one to engage in winter sports.

I do try to get outside on a bike fairly frequently in the winter. Studded tires make to possible to ride on even polished glare ice. However, my personal low temperature threshold for outdoor riding seems to increase by a couple of degrees each year.

Alberta is a great province to call home, but the older I get.....the less tolerant I am of winter weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The one weather thing I do not like is extremely hot stuff. Mexico and the southern US is fine in the winter and we have spent a few months a couple times down there with our Escape, though The Baja only once for 4 weeks of it.
I really don't mind the heat (within reason). I visit the Jaltemba-bay area in Nayarit every February and quite enjoy cycling through the area's costal mountains in 30deg C heat. Same for riding in the south Okanagan in similar temps during the late spring/early summer. Agree it can be less fun when temps climb up into the high 30's or beyond.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 06:32 AM   #26

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
No snow but it was a beautifully sunny day yesterday that made us decide to do a little Campsite #1 Escaping.

We spent the entire day outside alongside the fire, grilling, having great conversation and then jumped into Side Effect to watch a movie and crash out for the evening.

We're like two little kids waking up in our little fort but with a comfy bed and a cup of fresh ground coffee.

Don't want to wish our lives away but I can't waiting for November 1st, my first day of retirement, to truly Escaping.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6545.jpg   IMG_6547.jpg   IMG_6549.jpg   IMG_6550.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:12 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post

We spent the entire day outside alongside the fire, grilling, having great conversation and then jumped into Side Effect to watch a movie and crash out for the evening.
It's only 7am here now but those grilled food photos made my mouth water.

It looks like a wonderful evening.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:30 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ditto on... "Most mornings make me want to go camping..."
Attached Thumbnails
dinettebed2.jpg  
Old 02-25-2024, 10:21 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Willy
When I was still working I was on inspections of park areas downtown one day. I left my truck parked at my first stop and one thing led do another and pretty soon I was 6 blocks away on a cold November day with just a light jacket. Along came a public works pickup driven by a long time friend who was a Public Work's concrete foreman. Seems he’d been given a couple of the same things to inspect by his commissioner. Once we were done he offered me a ride back to my truck. He parked behind me and asked me how long I had till retirement. I told him honestly I didn’t know exactly when I could go and didn’t think I would go at the first opportunity. He had a big stack of papers on the seat held by a clip board. He reached down and lifted all the papers except a loose one below the board. “You need one of these” he said. The single sheet was titled “Bud Derhammer countdown to Retirement” Every quarter date was listed along with his birthdays with a total goal of 85 (years of service and age). The increasing and decreasing math was figured in two columns.
Later I got to thinking about it and the week before Christmas that year I made up my sheet. On difficult days I would consult and update my totals. I worked about 2 years longer than I would have had to in an effort to maximize my pension. My best day was just after I reached the 85 total. A jerk Director was in power, and a bad commissioner at the same time. The director was not happy with me. He said “ I could fire you and really screw up your pension” I said simply “I can go anytime”. That felt good. Eventually the Director was let go and I successfully campaigned for the Commissioners opponent who won the election. Then it was easy street for me.
Hang in there Willy and plan for the better times ahead.
Sounds like you had a great day yesterday, good for you.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-25-2024, 07:21 PM   #30

As we count down to retirement day, we are both retiring on the same day, we are more excited with every passing second.

For me, after a 41 year career in the same industry and a good 3 years since my last chemo treatment, along with my wife's passion for enjoying the moment, we are ready to explore the space ahead without the distraction of time required of us by others.

We are the sorts that can enjoy an entire day seeing and listening to the simplicity of what nature offers.

If anyone, knows how to speed up time for a few months and then slow it way down please reach out and let us know the secret. We'll buy you a nice cold beer!
Old 02-25-2024, 07:36 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
You want time travel to speed up to retirement? No problem.

Interested?
Attached Thumbnails
time travel.jpeg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Interested?
I'll see you there!
Old 03-11-2024, 04:06 PM   #33

Trailer: Pending
Hi Alf,
Small world. I grew up on the opposite side of Lake Erie, south of Sandusky.
John-in-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:16 PM   #34

Trailer: Pending
Let's start with that beer. And then see if time needs us to worry for it. Living in Germany, I'd cruise on the Autobahn at 100 mph. Drivers there drove by an honor system. Alas, not here. Retired now. Time to slow down.
John-in-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote