Tool box - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Tool box

We have a 2014 E21 that I am going to build a aluminum tongue box for to carry the rv stuff in so I don't have to carry it in the TV vehicle.

Dimensions will be 60" wide at the camper end, 30" wide at the tongue end and 30" deep with a height of 20". We are going to also mount the propane bottles here with a divider and ventilation. Anyone see a problem with this?

One concern is paint color, I'm going to paint the box to match the camper. Does anyone have a color code that will match the gelcoat on the 2014 trailers or at least come close?

Snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy2 View Post
We have a 2014 E21 that I am going to build a aluminum tongue box for to carry the rv stuff in so I don't have to carry it in the TV vehicle.

Dimensions will be 60" wide at the camper end, 30" wide at the tongue end and 30" deep with a height of 20". We are going to also mount the propane bottles here with a divider and ventilation. Anyone see a problem with this?

One concern is paint color, I'm going to paint the box to match the camper. Does anyone have a color code that will match the gelcoat on the 2014 trailers or at least come close?
I see nothing wrong with your plan, as long as it does not create more tongue weight that your vehicle can handle.

I would recommend getting it powder coated as opposed to painting it though, it will be way tougher, but will be pricier than painting it yourself. That's what I did with my cargo box build.

5.0TA Cargo Box

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Krylon Fusion Dover White is what I used on my propane tank cover.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've made two aluminum tongue boxes, one for my Scamp and one for my Escape 19. My Scamp box included both two batteries and my propane tank. But you know what they call a metal box with electrical connections and a propane tank inside and I didn't see any reason to make it an all in one box for the E19.

I followed the front slope of the trailer front. Definitely gives more volume.

I've painted a lot of aluminum. For marine stuff, like a boat mast, I've sprayed two part epoxy primer and two part epoxy. As expected it lasts a long time without any problems.

But I've also painted a lot of aluminum with good old Tremclad with very good results. The key to longevity is; solvent wash, light abrasion and a wipe with solvent again and paint fairly soon afterwards. Instead of solvent I use something called "Tumbler" an automotive paint product but solvent probably works as well. I have things like a generator sound shield, painted with Tremclad over 20 years ago, and the paint is still perfect.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-04-2014 5-19-26 PM11_resize.jpg (125.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg P4280082_resize.JPG (284.8 KB, 58 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've made two aluminum tongue boxes, one for my Scamp and one for my Escape 19. My Scamp box included both two batteries and my propane tank. But you know what they call a metal box with electrical connections and a propane tank inside and I didn't see any reason to make it an all in one box for the E19.

I followed the front slope of the trailer front. Definitely gives more volume.

I've painted a lot of aluminum. For marine stuff, like a boat mast, I've sprayed two part epoxy primer and two part epoxy. As expected it lasts a long time without any problems.

But I've also painted a lot of aluminum with good old Tremclad with very good results. The key to longevity is; solvent wash, light abrasion and a wipe with solvent again and paint fairly soon afterwards. Instead of solvent I use something called "Tumbler" an automotive paint product but solvent probably works as well. I have things like a generator sound shield, painted with Tremclad over 20 years ago, and the paint is still perfect.

Ron
That is one nice looking box if I do say so ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Very nice indeed and like the aluminum as is. Do people ask if you previoisly had an Airstream? Also, knowing a little of Ron's background it is apparant he is highly skilled to be able to craft an impressive storage box.

Ron- whaddya think it would cost someone to have this made by someone as capable as you?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Will the tanks fit inside a 20" box?
Old 04-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Very nice indeed and like the aluminum as is. Do people ask if you previoisly had an Airstream? Also, knowing a little of Ron's background it is apparant he is highly skilled to be able to craft an impressive storage box.

Ron- whaddya think it would cost someone to have this made by someone as capable as you?
Thanks for your kind words. No, I've not had that question but similar ones. I just say that I built an aluminum body for my car and I had leftover material.

I like natural aluminum also and I left my car natural.

Cost? Let me just say that if I'd had to make my living as an estimator I'd have gone bankrupt. But it is a very easy project, well within the abilities of most people.

I should have mentioned, before anyone else does, that I'm aware that using Metalprep is also an option pre-painting. I used to use it but then one day I just starting doing the wash, abrade, wash prep, got good results and have keep on doing it that way.

That being said, as Jim mentioned, powder coating is an option and being in an exposed position up front, likely more durable than just plain paint.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Will the tanks fit inside a 20" box?
A 20-pound capacity common propane cylinder (such as those from Manchester Tank) is typically 18" tall (and 12" in diameter), although steel tanks vary a bit by brand, and other types (aluminum, composite) can be very different.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy2 View Post

We are going to also mount the propane bottles here with a divider and ventilation. Anyone see a problem with this?
I assume you want to lock your box. I believe that propane tanks should not be behind a locked door/lid in case of emergency, i.e. they must be accessible. If you are doing a divider, maybe the lid of that section could be made non lockable.