Electric HW heater use - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2023, 01:39 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Electric HW heater use

We have set up camp for first time with shore power.
I turned on HW heater for electric.
Now FLT light is always on on the tank panel.
Is that normal. It seems possible since it tries to use gas and quits since gas is off.
Just want to know if this is normal to have FLT light on when using HW heater with shore power.
Or did I miss a step somewhere when going to electric?
17B
Thanks
-Dave
kfreedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 02:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I think when you turn on the electric heater outside you are done when hooked up to shore power The panel switch and light is for the propane is firing up the water heater. Make sure you have water in the water heater if the outside power is on.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 02:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
If gas is off, the indoor switch will show fault since it’s for gas only. The electrical on off switch for the water heater is outside in the water heater compartment on the lower left, and hard to see without actually looking for it.
Old 04-09-2023, 04:00 PM   #4

Trailer: none
So I am hearing that the FLT light on is acceptable when hooked to shore power.
-Dave
kfreedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:19 PM   #5

The FLT light should only come on when you turn the gas / DSI switch on to use the water heater on gas. Otherwise turn that inside switch off. It is only to turn the water heater on gas. If you are using electric, the switch is outside in the water heater cabinet.
Old 04-09-2023, 04:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post

The electrical on off switch for the water heater is outside in the water heater compartment on the lower left, and hard to see without actually looking for it.
When we got our E19 orientation the person giving it had been told that the switch was there. She flipped the cover open and looked and looked. Since we already had the same heater I pointed it out to her.

Glad that I installed an interior on-off switch. Much more convenient.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When we got our 19, I never asked if it was a two way water heater and always just used it on propane. Worked fine. Bought the 21 and knew a little more about the water heaters and asked about it when we picked it up. AZ Jack said “two way just like your 19”. Hmmmm. Got home and readied the 19 for sale. Upon closer examination, Yup there was the switch. Worked well when I flipped it on. Checked the tattoo on my arm. Right again. It said “You are such a rookie”. Since then I used both sides of the 21 water heater and it has worked great for several years now. Never used them both at the same time, though I understand some folks do. I do have a little paranoia about frying the electrical element so I keep the switch turned off till I’m sure the water tank on the heater is full of water. Almost ten years of owning an Escape and I’m still impressed with all the features.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-10-2023, 08:42 AM   #8

Yes Iowa Dave, If Barb and I want back to back showers we’ll use gas and electric to ensure ample hot water. It works great, and we can splurge on the water usage when we have hookups.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We don’t camp with a sewer hookup real often but when we do it is nice to have lots of water and not having to dump tanks at the dump station or at a rest stop on the way home. We’re camping in an Iowa state park later this month where we have a sewer hookup.

We’re camping with another couple who have a Class A. I like to tease this guy. He drives the motor home and it pulls an enclosed trailer with his gold wing trike inside. Then his partner drives then pickup and pulls the boat. They bring along 4 dogs too. We have a great time. He has about 500 lbs of firewood in the pickup so it’s campfire city when we’re not out in the boat or in town. I tell Mark he’s pursuing the total recreational experience.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-11-2023, 01:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
BTW, one option with the electric hot water heater is to leave the outside switch in the "on" position, and use the breaker in the power center as the way to turn on and off the heater. Saves a trip outside if you forget to turn on the heater.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 09:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I generally use the electric side of the water heater only. But if we pull in somewhere and need hot water quickly, I’ll flip the gas on too, and in 15-20 minutes you’ve got hot water.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 09:59 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
BTW, one option with the electric hot water heater is to leave the outside switch in the "on" position, and use the breaker in the power center as the way to turn on and off the heater. Saves a trip outside if you forget to turn on the heater.
Now that’s the tip of the day, I just followed your advice and set mine up to do it that way-thank you.

Sometimes the best solutions are simple and right in front of us.
Ooshkaboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've never been a fan of using a circuit breaker as an on-off switch.

Pretty easy to take the wire off the heater and run it to a lighted switch and then run a new wire to the heater.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
01-01-2007 2-28-21 AM_0004_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've never been a fan of using a circuit breaker as an on-off switch.

Pretty easy to take the wire off the heater and run it to a lighted switch and then run a new wire to the heater.

Ron

Yep, that's s nice mod. I think there's also a relay module w/ a 12V coil that can be installed on the heater to provide remote control via a 12V circuit.

It's on my to do list, but for now, I'm happy just reaching under the table instead of going outside. (and, FWIW, all the breakers installed in my power center are SWD rated)
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:09 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
For anyone that's interested - here is link to the thread on how to add a third switch for the electric hot water heater.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...itch-8535.html

It really is handy as it keeps you from fumbling around for that outside HW heater switch.

Oh, leaving the outside HW switch on all the time may be a bad idea. All it takes is hooking up shore power while the HW heater is not full of water to have you installing a new HW heater element.