Frameless Window Failure - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #141

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
We just had our 19’s small bath window fail (the no-longer-available dual pane thermal frameless type) but Dave in ETI’s service department told me he had not seen this particular mode of failure yet, so I thought I’d share it here, along with attempted remedy.

So unlike most of the failures people seem to have had with these windows, where the adhesive between the panes fails and the separate, in my case, the little aluminum channel that is bonded to the window - the one that the closure mechanism attaches to - came off the window.

Attachment 37128

Interestingly, it wasn’t the double sided adhesive tape that failed. The aluminum channel is painted black, and the paint that the adhesive was glued to came off cleanly, revealing bright shiny metal underneath.

Dave recommended trying an auto glass shop to see if they have a suggestion for rebonding, but as we are mid-trip that’s not possible just now, so instead I am trying a Gorilla brand double sided tape, similar to VHB, along with some duct tape as a backup. Hopefully this will hold it together until we can get a permanent fix, although the Gorilla tape packaging does indicate that it’s both permanent and all-weather. We shall see.
Once I had the transom on an inflatable boat fail. The tube flanges were glued to veneered plywood. The glue separated with the veneer attached, leaving bare wood. Whatever possessed them to glue directly to veneer (or in your case, paint)? Just not thinking.

Given the large adhesion area, a “shoe glue” like product should work. I have used it to reattach rear view mirrors. The bond is flexible and should hold up with road shake.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:59 PM   #142

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I just laugh when I hear about the L-400 and bolers. It's not about boler owners that have driven up the price, it's the Airstream and Siliver Streak crowd. Some years and models of Airsteams and Silver Streaks used that particular lockset and some of the owners are absolutely dedicated to 'original' while the boler crowd is more interested in something that works and looks 'okay.'
True, non-existent replacement parts can often be worked around. In the case of a window, that's the complete replacement of the window with the same size, or a larger one (if the hole can be cut larger, as it often can), or a smaller one (with a bunch of fiberglass work).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Enter Ian Giles.. he saw a need, created and manufactured a kit that allows a standard (several different manufacturers) lockset to work well with very little change to the door.
Ian's kit is nice, but is for a Boler 1300; a 1700 has a different shape of door on the inside, so the taller generic replacement wouldn't fit. Sometimes - in Bolers and elsewhere - the work-around is not easy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #143

Trailer: Escape 2019 21'
If air circulation is a concern might I suggest a 17' casita like we had. Turn on the fan, set by a CLOSED window and hang on to whatever might get sucked into the updraft. We are very happy with frameless in our new 21.
vmomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #144

Trailer: 2012 Lance 1575
I have a Lance 1575 (2012) with acrylic double pane windows. I love the windows and I hate the windows. I have replaced three of the six windows because of what appears to be UV degredation. AS OF THIS WRITING, I have a fourth window that needs to be replaced and one of the previously replaced windows is failing. I am looking at escape because of that problem, but this thread is absolutely turning me off the escape.
Hecolvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #145
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecolvin View Post
I have a Lance 1575 (2012) with acrylic double pane windows. I love the windows and I hate the windows. I have replaced three of the six windows because of what appears to be UV degredation. AS OF THIS WRITING, I have a fourth window that needs to be replaced and one of the previously replaced windows is failing. I am looking at escape because of that problem, but this thread is absolutely turning me off the escape.
Don't know why. No matter what kind of windows in the Escape, they're glass, not acrylic. So the problems you're having in your Lance due to UV degradation won't happen in an Escape.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #146

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
I would not let this influence your decision on whether to get the escape. The problem was solely in the smallest window and the manufacturer has stopped supplying them. Instead, they substitute a single pane at this size.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:49 PM   #147

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Has the Lance guy ever made a house call to your home to fix anything on your Lance? The problem as I understand it, is with a
Commercially produced window supplied to many manufacturers and is being rectified by Escape. Not everybody pushes trailers off their lot and declares them an orphan. Escape is a great trailer and well respected
by thousands of people.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-08-2019, 09:56 PM   #148

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
I would not let this influence your decision on whether to get the escape. The problem was solely in the smallest window and the manufacturer has stopped supplying them. Instead, they substitute a single pane at this size.
There have been reports of the larger window failure as well. Rare but has been reported
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:31 PM   #149

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I'm about to email escape with a failed rear driver's side frameless window failure. there's fog between the two panes. will keep this forum posted.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:43 PM   #150

Trailer: 2012 Lance 1575
Doesn't make any difference if the windows are failing. Don't want to substitute one problem for another. DELAMINATED glass windows are no better than degenerated plastic ones.
Hecolvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:24 PM   #151

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We must lead a blessed life because we've never had a single problem with our double-pane sliders.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:29 PM   #152

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Doesn't make any difference if the windows are failing. Don't want to substitute one problem for another. DELAMINATED glass windows are no better than degenerated plastic ones.
Hal- your zero risk solution would be to get the stock single pane framed windows. We had them on our 17B we bought 3 years old. Even asked the seller if he would have opted for dual pane looking back- when doing our 21 build sheet. "No....not for the way we camp." He lived in Bend. Otherwise the dual pane sliders which we did get have better sound attenuation(quieter) and so far after 4.5 years and lots of miles no problems.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:00 AM   #153

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5 TA
thank you all!

Thanks to everyone for posting about these little bathroom windows. Without the Forum, I would have never checked my window before my 1 year window warranty expired tomorrow. Yep, you guessed it, just a tiny bit of delamination between the two windows, but I caught it in time to get a free replacement window. So, thanks for saving me a bundle.
KatrinaOstby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #154

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Your replacement maybe the non thermal window Escape is now installing for the little optional window. But as long as it is frameless, you should not have the framed window condensation issues of sweating. In addition, the addition of some reflectix in the winter use should give some thermal help.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #155

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I have a question: If you have the frameless windows …. will a framed window fit in the hole? What do you have to do to replace your frameless windows?

Tom
Old 03-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #156
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I have a question: If you have the frameless windows …. will a framed window fit in the hole? What do you have to do to replace your frameless windows?

Tom
My guess is you'd replace them with the same. The frameless are not the same size cutout as the framed.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #157

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Escape 21 bathroom window

Our bathroom window closing mechanism came loose from the window. I re-glued it. However, I think we will stop opening and closing the window. The fan seems to draw plenty of air into the bathroom through the gap under our bathroom door and we still get light through the window.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #158
Commercial Member

Trailer: 21 escape
I have a set of these shades- rain deflectors, or what ever they call them from a Casita, wonder if they are all the same size,{height} I am thinking of maybe having them reproduced but wonder if there would be a patent issue?, and also wonder why did the mfg quit making them if they are so sought after? Have had offers to buy them so often I finally hid them out of sight, I sell and repair fg trailers so have customers in and out frequently, currently have 2 19 Escapes and 1 17 Casita in stock getting ready for sale, just waiting for warmer weather to finish, been cold here in KCMO area.
oldstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #159

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Armadillo has the option of these over their windows.

Is this what you are talking about. Looks like they are just an automotive product that needs to be researched to find the correct width.
Attached Thumbnails
97429340-96AA-484A-9BB9-4B25D4E7FA73.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #160

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstation View Post
I have a set of these shades- rain deflectors, or what ever they call them from a Casita, wonder if they are all the same size,{height} I am thinking of maybe having them reproduced but wonder if there would be a patent issue?, and also wonder why did the mfg quit making them if they are so sought after? Have had offers to buy them so often I finally hid them out of sight, I sell and repair fg trailers so have customers in and out frequently, currently have 2 19 Escapes and 1 17 Casita in stock getting ready for sale, just waiting for warmer weather to finish, been cold here in KCMO area.
Airxcel | Maxxair | Window/Maxx

Airxcel still lists them on their website - but just try to buy one!
Attached Thumbnails
window_maxx.jpg  

Tags
frameless window