5.0 and F150 owners - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #61

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I must have an old fashioned Ford dealership because the service manager and service writers have absolutely no problem with having the technicians speak to customers. However, due to insurance regulations they will accompany you to the tech’s work area. Actually, my Ford dealership is one of the two best I have ever dealt with ..........................
Same here. The guy that owns the Ford dealership I deal with dad owned the Shell station (in those days they had 3 service bays!) that was next door to our house. He worked as a mechanic for his dad and his niece was good friends with my sister. Now I have to drive 50km to the dealership in Langley but it's worth it. He owns the dealership, his niece works for him and I went to school with the Service Manager ........
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #62

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Just a idea, go to your local Ford Dealership and talk to the service guys which
of the engines they would want in their F-150. Probably 90% will say the Ford 5.0 engine over the EC engines. Turbo's are nice when their right but when they have a problem it's neither easy or cheap.
The 5.0 engine will give you plenty of payload capacity and tow capability. Plus last you way longer.
It would be great for your trailer.
Ok, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the V8, a tried and true motor that’s more than capable of towing any Escape trailer as long as properly set up. But researching F150 will show you that Ecoboost equipped trucks make up 60% of those sold. In the towing specs you will also find that the Ecoboost has the highest capacity. The turbo charged motors definitely have an advantage when towing in higher altitude. In my personal experience with the 2.7 EB towing my 5.0 TA I think it’s a perfect match. Never lacking in power and getting respectable mileage, 13-15.5 towing and up to 26 mpg when not. The V8 has seen its hay day and I will miss them, but I think they are going the way of the dinosaur.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Just a idea, go to your local Ford Dealership and talk to the service guys which
of the engines they would want in their F-150. Probably 90% will say the Ford 5.0 engine over the EC engines. Turbo's are nice when their right but when they have a problem it's neither easy or cheap.
The 5.0 engine will give you plenty of payload capacity and tow capability. Plus last you way longer.
It would be great for your trailer.
I have talked to a lot of service workers, the dealership I deal with almost always has them talk to me when not doing regular maintenance. Back when I had a Super Duty with the PowerStroke diesel they kept me up on what was good to do and what not to do. Now with the EcoBoost, the two I usually talk to are very supportive of these engines, saying Ford has worked out any bugs many years ago. It is amazing that my 3.5L engine has so much pulling power. Just yesterday I pulled my dump trailer (to the dump nonetheless) weighing 8,600 lbs loaded with no trouble at all.

V8's are fine if you prefer them, but the fuel economy is worse and the towing capacity not really much better. Not sure where you got the stats on them lasting longer, though time will tell. Lots of EcoBoost with lots of kilometres on them.

In December my EcoBoost hits the 5 year old mark, so my service plan expires as does the power train warranty. I am still keeping the truck though, as it is woking good. Hoping this keeps going this way too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #64

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Full Quiver"; 2018 Ford F 150 3.0l Turbodiesel
Send a message via MSN to Berndad Send a message via Yahoo to Berndad
Smile Sticking with a diesel F 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds View Post
Hello folks. I am considering downsizing my F350 diesel dually long bed to an F150 (so I can like, turn and such). I don't know how well an F150 would do hauling (and stopping!) an Escape 5.0 in the mountains out west in the US. I was looking at F250's but would prefer a F150. Thoughts? Experiences? If you have this combo, do you have the max payload package or just the tow package? Also, how close to you come to maxing the payload rating (what is your real, loaded, tough weight).

Sorry so many questions from a newbie. But before I buy a 5.0 (I own nothing now) I don't want to make any mistakes with a tow vehicle. Thanks in advance!
I have the F 150 3.0 liter Turbo Diesel and love it. We hauled our 19 all over the west and up some fairly steep and high (>14,000 foot elevations) with no sweat and got about 16 mpg fully loaded. With Covid 19 dropping gas, but not diesel prices, the return on investment is not so good right now!
I also waited for a 2018 to be available in late 2019 as a fire sale, I suspect it depends on where you are as to availability, but mine was seriously discounted after being on the lot for 300+ days.
Good luck and I think you will like any of the F 150 options.
Berndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #65

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
In December my EcoBoost hits the 5 year old mark, so my service plan expires as does the power train warranty. I am still keeping the truck though, as it is woking good. Hoping this keeps going this way too.
Our 5 year or 100k km. service plan/warranty ran out in Feb. in less than four years but that's on account of our long trips. We plan to keep ours as well.

Our daughter and son-in-law have a 2013 (bought Nov. 2012) with the 3.5EB and are happy with it and the engine has been trouble free despite quite a few other issues. They've never had good mileage with it though, I think too much short distance driving. I once coaxed 21mpg out of it on a trip from Leavenworth KS to Omaha but they've never had anything close to that.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #66

Trailer: Still Deciding
here's a good video on which F-150 engine that Ford mechanics would pick for a for themselves.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Video is 1-1/2 years old: June 21, 2019. One or two or three opinions out of thousands is an anomaly. Not a consensus.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #68

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
here's a good video on which F-150 engine that Ford mechanics would pick for a for themselves.
Yes, I've seen this and another older video on YouTube, that's why I continue to ask. Totally different answers than the video. Are we going to continue this pissing contest?

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
They've never had good mileage with it though, I think too much short distance driving.
While towing with my 3.5, speed makes a huge difference. Keeping towing last year to not much over 100 kph, I got 17.5 L/100km, while the year before often doing 120 kph on freeways I got much worse at 22 K/100km. When not towing the difference is not as noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Yes, I've seen this and another older video on YouTube, that's why I continue to ask. Totally different answers than the video. Are we going to continue this pissing contest?

Enjoy,

Perry
Very true. I did my research and even recently did a search on which is best. Read all the reviews I say. The pissing contest on this is over from me now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #70

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Our daughter and son-in-law have a 2013 (bought Nov. 2012) with the 3.5EB and are happy with it and the engine has been trouble free despite quite a few other issues. They've never had good mileage with it though, I think too much short distance driving. I once coaxed 21mpg out of it on a trip from Leavenworth KS to Omaha but they've never had anything close to that.
Not towing and using ours for short trips we are around 16 mpg, on the highway empty we run over 24 mpg.
Could it be a lead foot? Mine will eat up the gas with heavy acceleration!
Old 04-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #71

Watch the video and check the facts. If you pick a motor because it’s “old school”, cause of the sound it makes with an aftermarket exhaust, or because it’s been around the longest you can stop reading now. If you’re still interested in facts discount everyone who picked the V8 for power. Yes the 5.0 at 395 hp does make 20 more hp than the 3.5 , but it makes 70 ft lbs of torque less and to even do that it has to spin up 1000 rpms more. The little 2.7 makes just as much torque as the 5.0 and it too does so at at even lower rpms. This is important if you plan on working the truck, torque is the important number. But if for bragging rights “power” is what you’re looking for get the Rapter, equipped with the HO 3.5, 55 more hp and 110 ft lbs more torque than the 5.0 . Now you want to race your truck this would be the one to buy, it will flat out destroy the 5.0.
Now look at the guys who picked the 3.5, one of them said he owns an Ecoboost and loves it ( certainly not a bad recommendation) 2 other guys stated capability and they got that right. The 3.5 Ecoboost has the highest towing capacity of all the F 150 ( 13200lbs) and I think it is still the overall class leader in this category, at least it was when I bought my 2016.
Finally just because you can post a video and question some random employees doesn’t mean any of it is relevant, entertaining maybe but no credentials. I’m old, but not “old school “, I don’t care if it has the V8 rumble (and honestly when towing for 6 or 8 hours at a stretch I’m glad my truck doesn’t have it), horse power is not important, torque is and when it comes on makes a big difference. Now I bought my truck to tow my 5.0TA, a 5000 lb. trailer, I have a friend who has the same year F150 as mine, his is equipped with the 5.0, lot fancier wheels and interior, got the v8 rumble. If you asked him he’d buy another v8 in a heartbeat. Now I think the most work that truck has done since he owned it is carry a couple coolers of beer. My point being before you get to what motor maybe first one should ask what are getting the truck for.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:06 PM   #72

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If you ask a zoologist rather than a Ford tech, the zoologist, without any hesitation and invariably will tell you that the Coyote is a dog!
Old 04-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #73

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If you ask a zoologist rather than a Ford tech, the zoologist, without any hesitation and invariably will tell you that the Coyote is a dog!
That's funny!
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #74

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I wonder what the opinion would be comparing the v-6's without the turbo's to the v-8 and then adding a supercharged v-8 to the turbo charged v-6's and compare. I wonder what a 5.0 motor set up by Rousch or Shelby with 750 hp to a 4 wheel Ford Raptor would do. One could do 4 wheel burnouts.........eek.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I wonder what the opinion would be comparing the v-6's without the turbo's to the v-8 and then adding a supercharged v-8 to the turbo charged v-6's and compare. I wonder what a 5.0 motor set up by Rousch or Shelby with 750 hp to a 4 wheel Ford Raptor would do. One could do 4 wheel burnouts.........eek.
Just saw a video of drag race between 2 F150. A 3.5 Raptor against a 6.2 V8. The Raptor won. They did state that where they where racing was a mile above sea level and that gave the Raptor an advantage against a V8 with nearly twice the displacement. TFL trucks is who posted video.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
For $25000 and your V8 F150, you can find out. PaxPower will make your dream come true. And the 750hp that you get will beat a stock Raptor. Still think my 2.7 is a better tow for my Escape ��
Old 04-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #77

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have the 5'5" bed and haul a 5.0. i chose it because i wanted the large interior and didn't want the extra length. i only have one vehicle and didn't want to deal with the extra length when driving around town. I agree the longer bed would better for hauling but i am happy since most of my driving is just around town.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #78

Trailer: Still Deciding
Been around engines all my life, from semi trucks, heavy equipment, farm equipment, patrol cars.
A six cyl with a turbo is working much harder to achieve HP and Torque than a 8cyl.....plain and simple. A 450 HP Cat engine is working less to move similar mass than a 300 Cummins.
Turbo's produce heat, one of the main contributors to engine failure. The injectors are injecting fuel at over 1,000 psi compared to 10-15 lbs for the 5.0 The 3.5 ecoboost has a known problem with timing chain tensioners. Turbo's are extremely expensive to replace.
My best friend is a long time Ford Mechanic /Service Manager. Has won several competitions that Ford holds for mechanics for diagnostics. He also agrees that the 5.0 is a more dependable platform than the ecoboosts.
It might be awhile before any turbo's are produced.....the Borg Warner plant who makes Fords turbo's got heavily damaged by a tornado.
The ecoboost is a good engine for the most part, there's just something better. With time the new 7.3 might move the 3.5 eb and 5.0 to the back seat...only time will prove it......like the 5.0
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #79

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
The ecoboost is a good engine for the most part, there's just something better. With time the new 7.3 might move the 3.5 eb and 5.0 to the back seat...only time will prove it......like the 5.0
Thank you for your OPINION.

I too have been around engines all my life also, and also people with varying opinions, and that is all they are.......opinions which can neither be proven nor disproven. The truth is that most people will trade or upgrade any truck long before longevity issues crop up, because technology is always moving forward and many people like automatic hi/low beams, adaptive cruise control, etc. When fuel injection first appeared, I can remember a lot of mechanics questioned its reliability. Today, you might find a carburetor on a lawn mower but not on any truck. Guess those who espoused new technology back then were proven wrong. Henry Ford once said “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse.”

Does anyone seriously think the Ford Motor Company would allow its reputation and future sales ride on an engine that is likely to fail?
Old 04-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #80
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Been around engines all my life, from semi trucks, heavy equipment, farm equipment, patrol cars.
A six cyl with a turbo is working much harder to achieve HP and Torque than a 8cyl.....plain and simple. A 450 HP Cat engine is working less to move similar mass than a 300 Cummins.
Turbo's produce heat, one of the main contributors to engine failure. The injectors are injecting fuel at over 1,000 psi compared to 10-15 lbs for the 5.0 The 3.5 ecoboost has a known problem with timing chain tensioners. Turbo's are extremely expensive to replace.
My best friend is a long time Ford Mechanic /Service Manager. Has won several competitions that Ford holds for mechanics for diagnostics. He also agrees that the 5.0 is a more dependable platform than the ecoboosts.
It might be awhile before any turbo's are produced.....the Borg Warner plant who makes Fords turbo's got heavily damaged by a tornado.
Very well said Sir, I share your experience and knowledge and agree whole heartily. No need for opinions, you either know or you don't.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote