Coupler latch Not Closing Properly. Please Help - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: Escape 21 NE
Posts: 18
Coupler latch Not Closing Properly. Please Help

I received delivery of my trailer last month and have had a hell of a time with the coupler latch. Granted, I'm new to this but the delivery driver struggled mightily and I called a local hitch guy to adjust the height of the e2 since I got a new TV and the hitch height needed to be adjusted, and he said something wasnt right with it either.

Take a look at the video below. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

https://streamable.com/sbhl0c
__________________

L in NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: O Fallon, Missouri
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 141
I have to pull my TV forward to bring the ball to the front of the socket, this allows the latch to close.
__________________

__________________
Bob & Katie Brandenstein
On the road in our new Escape 21
rbrandenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,979
Make sure the latch lever is all the way up. Look under the coupler to see that the yolk is all the way to the back of the coupler. Grease with a little lithium grease up inside the coupler housing. Put some grease on the ball. Back about 3/4 the way under the coupler with the reciever ball. Slowly lower the coupler onto the ball letting the coupler “crawl” over the ball till the jack foot comes off the ground. Attempt to flip the locking lever down. If it goes you’re golden. If not, like Bob says “get in tow vehicle start it up , put in gear and give the rig a little jerk. Then try to push latch over center. If it won’t go something may be bent. Be wary of beating on the latch lever to force it. You can snap them off or bend them worse. Call Escape and relate details.
That’s all I got
Iowa Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 7,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Make sure the latch lever is all the way up. Look under the coupler to see that the yolk is all the way to the back of the coupler. Grease with a little lithium grease up inside the coupler housing. Put some grease on the ball. Back about 3/4 the way under the coupler with the reciever ball. Slowly lower the coupler onto the ball letting the coupler ďcrawlĒ over the ball till the jack foot comes off the ground. Attempt to flip the locking lever down. If it goes youíre golden. If not, like Bob says ďget in tow vehicle start it up , put in gear and give the rig a little jerk. Then try to push latch over center. If it wonít go something may be bent. Be wary of beating on the latch lever to force it. You can snap them off or bend them worse. Call Eacape and relate details.
Thatís all I got
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... For this very reason we always travel with a "Little jerk". You never know when it comes in handy. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,979
I know how you travel Alf and you can call that Maple whisky anything you want. I travel with a little jerk myself and sometimes a little jerky.
Iowa Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
HABBERDABBER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Madison area, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 639
Lubricate it.

Before you go off on a tangent, just spray or apply some lubricate on the mechanism. Lithium lube is a suggestion. And grease your stinger ball, with grease.


A little lubrication goes a long, long way for mechanisms to function.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 13,573
The video (thanks for making that! ) pretty clearly shows the problem: when the yoke is fully down over the front of the coupler body (meaning that the jaw under the back of the ball is pulled fully forward to couple, as it is a couple of seconds into the video) the small rounded tabs of hinged latch lever do not line up with the slots where they should go (as you explain around 24 seconds). The part of the yoke where the lever pivots is bent forward, as you seem to understand as you hit it rearward with the heel of your hand (around 9 seconds).

Either the yoke was defective, or someone trying to force it has bent it; either way, it can be pounded or pried back to where it should be. Of course it is wise to report the problem and request resolution before applying any force (and marring the obviously original finish), and potentially being blamed for damaging it.

Everything moves freely when not on the ball, but it still doesn't latch due to the misalignment of parts, so the fundamental issue is not with lubrication... although once corrected it still will be easier to use if properly lubricated.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2019 Expedition
Posts: 4,225
It is not the E2 Fastway that is the problem. Another POS cheapskate ETI coupler issue. Do they never see these posts? The RAM (China) is total crap IMO. Lucky for me I thought we had an Atwood and they paid to replace with a real Atwood. No problems since. That was during the probable hostile takeover of Atwood by Dometic. My RAM yoke was opening even with the lock pin in place. If doing again would get a Bulldog as Dometic killed the Atwood coupler. Sucks.
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 13,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
It is not the E2 Fastway that is the problem.
True - the thread title is misleading, as the problem shown in the video is entirely related to the coupler and "E2" is the name of the unrelated weight distribution system.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - improved version
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
True - the thread title is misleading, as the problem shown in the video is entirely related to the coupler and "E2" is the name of the unrelated weight distribution system.
You're right - I fixed it.
__________________
If It Isnít Perfect, It Isnít Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: Escape 21 NE
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by L in NV View Post
I received delivery of my trailer last month and have had a hell of a time with the coupler latch. Granted, I'm new to this but the delivery driver struggled mightily and I called a local hitch guy to adjust the height of the e2 since I got a new TV and the hitch height needed to be adjusted, and he said something wasnt right with it either.

Take a look at the video below. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!

https://streamable.com/sbhl0c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The video (thanks for making that! ) pretty clearly shows the problem: when the yoke is fully down over the front of the coupler body (meaning that the jaw under the back of the ball is pulled fully forward to couple, as it is a couple of seconds into the video) the small rounded tabs of hinged latch lever do not line up with the slots where they should go (as you explain around 24 seconds). The part of the yoke where the lever pivots is bent forward, as you seem to understand as you hit it rearward with the heel of your hand (around 9 seconds).

Either the yoke was defective, or someone trying to force it has bent it; either way, it can be pounded or pried back to where it should be. Of course it is wise to report the problem and request resolution before applying any force (and marring the obviously original finish), and potentially being blamed for damaging it.

Everything moves freely when not on the ball, but it still doesn't latch due to the misalignment of parts, so the fundamental issue is not with lubrication... although once corrected it still will be easier to use if properly lubricated.
this is exactly what is going on. i tried gently banging on the yoke (i believe thats what the heel of my hand was hitting?) and it did move back some which allowed the teeth to sit correctly. i applied some silicone spray and it appears to be working better but its definitely still not aligned correctly. i'm waiting for escape to get back to me as they're closed through jan 3. i'm not sure if silicone spray is ok for this application but thats what i had. thank you!
L in NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:23 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: Escape 21 NE
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
True - the thread title is misleading, as the problem shown in the video is entirely related to the coupler and "E2" is the name of the unrelated weight distribution system.
sorry. i'm new and didnt realize it wasnt part of the coupler--thanks for explaining.
L in NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: Escape 21 NE
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
It is not the E2 Fastway that is the problem. Another POS cheapskate ETI coupler issue. Do they never see these posts? The RAM (China) is total crap IMO. Lucky for me I thought we had an Atwood and they paid to replace with a real Atwood. No problems since. That was during the probable hostile takeover of Atwood by Dometic. My RAM yoke was opening even with the lock pin in place. If doing again would get a Bulldog as Dometic killed the Atwood coupler. Sucks.
if i were to get a bulldog as you suggested i'm guessing this would involve welding? i'm trying to make my life as easy as possible and dont mind spending a few more bucks but i did *just* receive my trailer and would prefer not to spend more $$!
L in NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - improved version
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by L in NV View Post
if i were to get a bulldog as you suggested i'm guessing this would involve welding? i'm trying to make my life as easy as possible and dont mind spending a few more bucks but i did *just* receive my trailer and would prefer not to spend more $$!
Once the misalignment issue is resolved, the Ram coupler will be ok. My trailer has the Ram coupler as well and for the four years I've owned it, the coupler has always worked.

The Bulldog coupler is a good one but I would wait to see if it's worth the money and effort to change to one before doing it.
__________________
If It Isnít Perfect, It Isnít Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,979
Cant go wrong with silicone on steel. Wont damage Anything and probably helped but may not last a long time. I have a squeeze tube of lithium, maybe 10oz or
So and it’s lasted for 7 years. Don’t use a lot. I keep it in my front box in a small cat litter bucket along with my hitch ball Cover (ball cover lives in a tin can when not in use) , a bottle of charcoal starter and partial roll of shop towels. Also a mini spray can of WD40. I use silicone spray on the manual awning slides a couple times a season.
Best of luck always
Iowa Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:03 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: Escape 21 NE
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Once the misalignment issue is resolved, the Ram coupler will be ok. My trailer has the Ram coupler as well and for the four years I've owned it, the coupler has always worked.

The Bulldog coupler is a good one but I would wait to see if it's worth the money and effort to change to one before doing it.
thanks. i'll wait for it to be fixed and then go from there.
L in NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:03 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: Escape 21 NE
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Cant go wrong with silicone on steel. Wont damage Anything and probably helped but may not last a long time. I have a squeeze tube of lithium, maybe 10oz or
So and itís lasted for 7 years. Donít use a lot. I keep it in my front box in a small cat litter bucket along with my hitch ball Cover (ball cover lives in a tin can when not in use) , a bottle of charcoal starter and partial roll of shop towels. Also a mini spray can of WD40. I use silicone spray on the manual awning slides a couple times a season.
Best of luck always
Iowa Dave
this is very helpful since i have a manual awning on this as well. thanks.
L in NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 13,573
Thread title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
... I fixed it.
Thanks.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 7,104
Coupler adjustment

Hi: All... IMHO the tool required for this adjustment is called a "Sledge" and the technique is to know where and what to strike with it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 5,979
Hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... IMHO the tool required for this adjustment is called a "Sledge" and the technique is to know where and what to strike with it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Hi Alf
I just came across the nicest old heavy hammer about a four pounder that I got at a garage sale somewhere. I knew it had potential and when I cleaned it up it’s a beauty with a very nice handle. I have it lined up on my bench with about 6 more. I really like hammers. hatchets, axes, mauls and wrecking bars too. American, Canadian, Swedish and German Steel. Can’t beat it.
Iowa Dave
__________________

__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×